Hard Drive Brand

smbtnt

Established member
I am in the market for a new hard drive after my year old Seagate Barracuda crashed without warning. Is there a brand that stands out for being more robust and relaible than any other or is it a case of pot luck?

Also has anyone had experience of using a data recovery company? I lost a few photos and would love to get them back.

Hardly a brand is better once crashed. Problem is - all that is statistics, and statistics never apply to ONE disc. Even with the most reliable brand... you may get the one faulty drive that makes the statistic lower.

I personally am all WD now, most drives being Velociraptor. But then, I use backups AND RAID ;)

Data recovery will cost you. A LOT. They do not get back "some photos" but the complete disc, and you pay per gb. A lot.

Rapid Data Recovery

is about the cheapest. You will have to ask.

Give this company a call: Informal IT Solutions & Support, the guy there (Isaac) will quickly let you know what can be done for the recovery and advise you what to get to prevent it happening in the future. He also knows quite a bit about trading as well.

Hardly a brand is better once crashed. Problem is - all that is statistics, and statistics never apply to ONE disc. Even with the most reliable brand... you may get the one faulty drive that makes the statistic lower.

I personally am all WD now, most drives being Velociraptor. But then, I use backups AND RAID ;)

Data recovery will cost you. A LOT. They do not get back "some photos" but the complete disc, and you pay per gb. A lot.

Rapid Data Recovery

is about the cheapest. You will have to ask.

I would rather go for an established company and pay slightly more for peace of mind.

But thanks for the other advice. Velociraptor seem the way forward.

They are super fast ;) I na RAID 10 - 4 discs- I Managed to copy a file with 800mb per second ;)

PLus they are available as enterprise version, made for 24/7 ;)

WD seems to be currently a good choice. Some of the large capacity Seagates (I forget which ones) have had some very bad firmware problems which has no doubt been quite damaging to Seagates reputation.

Whatever you use, it's not a bad idea to be aware of the inbuilt SMART diagnostics that all IDE and SATA drives have. Free tools are available to access these. They can warn of possible impending drive failure.

WD seems to be currently a good choice. Some of the large capacity Seagates (I forget which ones) have had some very bad firmware problems which has no doubt been quite damaging to Seagates reputation.

Whatever you use, it's not a bad idea to be aware of the inbuilt SMART diagnostics that all IDE and SATA drives have. Free tools are available to access these. They can warn of possible impending drive failure.

yes the above caused my drive's demise.
pity, have been using seagate all my life.