Open trade in NEN

ducati998 said:
ROGUETRADER

Thanks for the analysis.
In the final equation, what as a "technical trader" would you do,

Go long, with a stop @ ?
Go short with a stop @ ?
Stand aside currently, and place on a watch list for a possible entry after further study ?

cheers d998
I don't trade stocks, so I can't speak to the float or liquidity - I don't really understand that part of things. But from a purely technical viewpoint, I would not buy this stock.

Technical traders can't help but notice that the price has just fallen through the demand line that has not previously been breached in the last 4 years. The last bar of the monthly chart shows the price bar expanding downward on lower volume. No herd of bears even chasing it, and it's still going down like a rock. This shows that those who want to enter long (or to close out a short position) are withholding their support and waiting because they think the price will go lower still and they will get a better bargain.

The last bar of the daily chart is green, but the price gapped down, lifted into yesterdays territory, and then dropped back to below yesterdays close. The momentum down is considerably less today than yesterday, but in my book this not an "up bar" even though the chart paints it green. There is no significant support until you get to 65 or 60.

When I choose an entry, I like it to have a logical spot very near by, that will tell me if I am wrong, or if people's opinion of this instrument has suddenly changed. I wouldn't expect to see this downward motion stop (or even go sideways) unless I saw long green price bars expanding upward and through 77.5 on increasing volume. Even then, it will take a major amount of volume to turn this around. Everyone who bought this during the last 8 months is in pain, and the price action shows that they are starting to bail out. So if the price drifts up near 77.0 on a couple of short bars and lower volume, that will be a low risk entry point to short.

Fundamentally, I would not buy any company that was associated with real estate in northern climates. Type "peak oil" into google and think about what will happen to real estate values when the winter heating bill is as big as the rent........

JO

My only problem with an entry here is I don't see the point either FA or TA and this is why...
First only fundies would be watching a tidller like this so whatever it is doing technically is irrelevant...leading on from that they will be triggered by the next qtr or two's stats especially as they come into this low risk area of cash backstop ...but there is always a chance that a good punt like this might get caught up in the mainstream backwash of negative sentiment on the housing market and that is the concern..that that sentiment could push it dramatically lower and without a stop I hope you would not be averaging down ;) ...
Ok everything is a risk,but why take it when you don't need to...in the period ahead you have ample opportunity technically to keep this on your radar and the likelihood is that if /or when this does slow down you would have ample opportunity to buy with confirmation that momentum is not so strongly against you....from a numbers point of view I don't get it at this point ...buying now to me is the equivalent of trying to make a couple of dollars whilst risking at least the same..I wouldn't be interested in that within the context that I expect the upside to be so dramatically larger anyway..to be honest entry here smacks of fear that I may be missing an opportunity ..if you're guilty hold your hand up ;)

In truth I don't understand your reluctance to use TA (momentum trading)..in a case like this one...using TA has nothing to do beliefs/reliance ..it is simple recognition that TA has a tool can in a situation like this allow you to deflect excess risk...let someone else take the risk for you and only come in when they have reduced risk to a level that makes economic sense

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I am a newbie to forex, and so far struggling! Though I have been extremely succesful trading US stocks and options and Index futures, but the methods dont work on Forex!

I have purchased a Forex Course - Surefire, was a scam amd rip off, nothing new there which is not available on the internet, and most importantly lost me money.

Can any of you recommend/suggest any methods/strategies or indeed any courses. I was wondering if any of you have heard of FX powercourse, and what you think?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

kind regards

B

ducati998 said:
ROGUETRADER

Thanks for the analysis.
In the final equation, what as a "technical trader" would you do,

Go long, with a stop @ ?
Go short with a stop @ ?
Stand aside currently, and place on a watch list for a possible entry after further study ?

cheers d998

Sorry Ducati, from my perspective there is too much wrong with this stock, The only type of stock that I would entertain trading at less than 1 million shares a day is an ETF. Setting that aside for a minute. It's a falling knife, right now from a perspective of going long this stock is in freefall, so to think about going long, would for me be out of the question. There is possible support from the 20 month sma at hand, but a monthly MA can be violated by a long way and time and still do its job. No I'd want to see this stock stabalize first..

Short side, well you've really missed the boat on that one, any attempt to enter here would be chasing in my book. The 200 day sma was the last approved boarding point for me looking at this one. So again it would be wait 'til it stabalises then see how it behaves. (BTW I have taken on board the cash per share info and that would make taking a short rather dubious even if it does setup.)
Another thought that occurs is that a lot of TA (not all, but a lot) makes use of anticipating what institutions and other traders are going to do. Since there is very little institutional interest in this and I'll bet no trader interest, how much TA will help is a big ??

JumpOff said:
No herd of bears even chasing it, and it's still going down like a rock. This shows that those who want to enter long (or to close out a short position) are withholding their support and waiting because they think the price will go lower still and they will get a better bargain.

There appear to be no short interest in this stock, my guess is it can't be shorted, so I wouldn't read too much into that.

JO,

I don't trade stocks, so I can't speak to the float or liquidity - I don't really understand that part of things. But from a purely technical viewpoint, I would not buy this stock.

Jo, fair comment. However, if ( as I know you favour P&V ) you study volume as a component of trade selection, then these two are rather crucial to any volume analysis you may wish to apply.

Technical traders can't help but notice that the price has just fallen through the demand line that has not previously been breached in the last 4 years. The last bar of the monthly chart shows the price bar expanding downward on lower volume. No herd of bears even chasing it, and it's still going down like a rock. This shows that those who want to enter long (or to close out a short position) are withholding their support and waiting because they think the price will go lower still and they will get a better bargain.

There has been a deep pullback on this stock.
The reason being that the Annual earnings from 2004 totaled $9.13
This is hugely down from earnings of earnings in the $40 region, late comers, possibly some technical trend traders, got badly caught out and are, or have sold.

Earnings have rebounded in Q1 to $35 / share.
There was a very good fundamental reason for the drop in earnings, and it was found in cashflow, of an expansion of the asset base using earned surplus, retained earnings, and new debt, hence the massive drop in EPS.

As ROGUE has already pointed out, there is no "SHORT INTREST"
I have never seen this.
I believe as ROGUE has suggested, that there is no stock borrow available.

Even then, it will take a major amount of volume to turn this around. Everyone who bought this during the last 8 months is in pain, and the price action shows that they are starting to bail out.

Yes and no.
I agree with the latecomers are hurting, no doubt.
As to volume to turn this around, I think this could turn on just several 1000 shares.

This stock provides an example of where volume analysis is actually worthwhile spending the time to delve a little ( I shall do this later )

Fundamentally, I would not buy any company that was associated with real estate in northern climates. Type "peak oil" into google and think about what will happen to real estate values when the winter heating bill is as big as the rent........

This company buys properties to rent ( although it also sells ).
However, I also feel that the housing sector is frothy, and as an industry, already enjoyed a big run. In any major correction, this company could get caught up in the general slide, and really give you a scare. Or, it might be to small and just go unnoticed, along it's merry way.

My concern is that it is a SMALL COMPANY.
It has huge debt...........90% of it's market cap is debt. ( in the form of property, thus recoverable )
This is why the common can perform so well.........a la General Motors.
The cash per share, is illusion, as this debt would swallow that if a meltdown came.
In a Bankruptcy, the odds on the Common surviving would be LOW.

CHUMP

First only fundies would be watching a tidller like this so whatever it is doing technically is irrelevant...leading on from that they will be triggered by the next qtr or two's stats especially as they come into this low risk area of cash backstop ...but there is always a chance that a good punt like this might get caught up in the mainstream backwash of negative sentiment on the housing market and that is the concern..that that sentiment could push it dramatically lower and without a stop I hope you would not be averaging down

True.
No I wouldn't average down on this, nor will I have a stop.

from a numbers point of view I don't get it at this point ...buying now to me is the equivalent of trying to make a couple of dollars whilst risking at least the same..I wouldn't be interested in that within the context that I expect the upside to be so dramatically larger anyway..to be honest entry here smacks of fear that I may be missing an opportunity ..if you're guilty hold your hand up

And this is the point.
I want to buy it CHEAP.
Later, when the price rises, it gets risker, as it is getting more expensive.

In truth I don't understand your reluctance to use TA (momentum trading)..in a case like this one...using TA has nothing to do beliefs/reliance ..it is simple recognition that TA has a tool can in a situation like this allow you to deflect excess risk...let someone else take the risk for you and only come in when they have reduced risk to a level that makes economic sense

Because TA as a tool has so many flaws, as to make it worse than useless.

ROGUE

Sorry Ducati, from my perspective there is too much wrong with this stock, The only type of stock that I would entertain trading at less than 1 million shares a day is an ETF.

Of course, and a crucial point, traders need the volatility..................but that volatility must be joined by liquidity, otherwise, curtains!

Another thought that occurs is that a lot of TA (not all, but a lot) makes use of anticipating what institutions and other traders are going to do

And within those two quotes is a summary of TA, and trading.
Nothing more need be said.

cheers d998

ducati998 said:
And this is the point.
I want to buy it CHEAP.
Later, when the price rises, it gets risker, as it is getting more expensive.
I don't think Rogue was saying "if your going to buy, wait till it rises," I believe he was suggesting, "If you are going to buy wait till it stops falling. Look for the bottom of the base."
JO

Jo

I don't think Rogue was saying "if your going to buy, wait till it rises," I believe he was suggesting, "If you are going to buy wait till it stops falling. Look for the bottom of the base."

A technical set-up.
Get, or try to get the timing right.
The "base" may never form.

The "Price" is currently cheap.
This will make me money.
Could it get cheaper................yes. I will be philosohical about it. When I eventually sell, I will also miss the top.............c'est la vie.

Because this volume is so low, this might jump $5 on 1 trade and never look back.

Technical analysis preaches "counsels of perfection"
Fundamental analysis preaches "counsels of the aggregate"

cheers d998

ducati998 said:
Jo

A technical set-up.

The "Price" is currently cheap.
This will make me money.
Could it get cheaper................yes. I will be philosohical about it. When I eventually sell, I will also miss the top.............c'est la vie.

Because this volume is so low, this might jump $5 on 1 trade and never look back.

Technical analysis preaches "counsels of perfection"
Fundamental analysis preaches "counsels of the aggregate"

cheers d998

I sort of get your point here, orat least I think I do, the thing is I was not aware that FA methodology would advise buying a falling stock, and I'm not sure I have read the proviso "unless it is fundamentally cheap"
I admire your faith in your analysis in the face of a falling stock. Out of interest a question to both you and Lion, with a view to the stocks value, Irealise that it can fall further, there are no absolutes but given it's cash per share etc, would either of you be prepared to give a figure that you would be surprised if it got below? I realise that is maybe a little unfar. I'm just trying to get an idea of howacurate value can be in the market.
I personally never look at the value of a company, and this is an oppertunity to see just how important it really is, though it would have been nice if the stock was a little more exposed share wise

ducati998 said:
Jo
A technical set-up.

cheers d998
True. I think this is why TA traders who trade stock require minimum volume - A highly liquid stock rarely does a stop and reverse gap without giving signals that the moment is slowing dramatically.

I want to be clear - I am not saying you shouldn't buy this stock - that is for you to decide. I only posted because you asked for a TA viewpoint. You've got a long term fundamental view about this. I never look any further ahead than the current bar.
JO

Rogue

Out of interest a question to both you and Lion, with a view to the stocks value, Irealise that it can fall further, there are no absolutes but given it's cash per share etc, would either of you be prepared to give a figure that you would be surprised if it got below?

Are you talking about the Share Price, or the cash per share?
cheers d998

Jo

True. I think this is why TA traders who trade stock require minimum volume - A highly liquid stock rarely does a stop and reverse gap without giving signals that the moment is slowing dramatically.

Absolutely.
In this stock, the volume is so thin, as to make the formation of a "base" pattern unlikely.
With greater liquidity, a base pattern may very well form, this is very tradeable.

Within a "group" operation, where the "aggregate" are, will also tend to form a base, as the laggards will inhibit the stars, and also ...............more volume.

I want to be clear - I am not saying you shouldn't buy this stock - that is for you to decide. I only posted because you asked for a TA viewpoint. You've got a long term fundamental view about this. I never look any further ahead than the current bar.

Understood.
And I asked for opinion, it would be most dull if everyone thought this was a "buy" in fact I'd probably have to sell it.

Rogue

Simple answer no.

Real Estate
What Happens If Real Estate Goes Bust
The Wall Street Journal Online
By Greg Ip

Five years ago, the bull market for stocks came crashing to a halt after a glorious run. Now, many worry that the roaring housing market may be headed for a train wreck as well.

What's the likelihood this could happen? For his part, Federal Reserve chairman Alan Greenspan said last week that a nationwide housing bubble was improbable, while warning of "froth in some local markets." He said a broad price decline in the housing market was unlikely to happen or to have much economic impact.

While house prices aren't likely to deflate as quickly as a hot Internet stock during the dot-com bust, the consequences have the potential to be far more devastating.

Here's how the stock and housing booms look similar -- but differ in several important respects.

The key difference is that stocks are purely financial investments. You can sell a stock on a whim, and you don't have to run out and buy another. By contrast, people live in houses, and if they sell they have to move -- which is both costly and time-consuming.

"How could you have a housing crash?" asks Ted Aronson, managing partner at Aronson Johnson Ortiz, a Philadelphia money manager. "We all just sell our houses and move into a trailer park?"

Houses are also much more expensive to sell. Mr. Greenspan says commission and other transaction costs approach 10% of the price of a home. By contrast, Mr. Aronson says big institutions typically incur transaction costs of 1% to 2% on their stock purchases.

The cost of moving is why homes change hands much less than stocks. Sales of new and existing homes in the U.S. in 2003 were equal to about 6% of total housing units in the U.S. By contrast, annual turnover on the New York Stock Exchange is about 100% of all shares outstanding. A home normally sits on the market for several weeks before selling; a stock usually sells in seconds.

Stocks also move as a single market more than houses do because they are subject to many of the same influences and often are bought and sold as part of a broad portfolio. Houses are more subject to local influences. Stocks can also be sold "short" by people who don't own them, or via derivatives. You can't bet on declining housing prices the same way. That means when houses appear overvalued, it's harder for contrarians to nudge them the other way.

Roguetrader,

I was typing a post yesterday with a minimum share price included and then I thought better of it and cancelled the post. As such, my answer also has to be no.

Last edited:
NEW ENGLAND LP D (AMEX:NEN) Delayed quote data

Last Trade: 75.46
Trade Time: 3:29PM ET
Change: 0.04 (0.05%)
Prev Close: 75.50
Open: 76.00
Bid: N/A
Ask: N/A
1y Target Est: N/A

Day's Range: 74.50 - 76.00
52wk Range: 60.50 - 97.40
Volume: 1,000
Avg Vol (3m): 1,564.62
Market Cap: 12.90M
P/E (ttm): 1.81
EPS (ttm): 41.61
Div Yield (ttm): 2.80 (3.71%)

This might well be a moot point but it has been mentioned that the shares have fallen back significantly from their highs and quite a few holders are nursing substantial losses. What nobody mentioned was the fact that there are also quite a few investors who bought in at the $60 - 62 level and they are sitting on the same level of profits in percentage terms.

More importantly, in the event of a fall in house prices, the fact that this company is primarily a landlord as opposed to a house builder or developer should cushion the blow. Rental income should exceed financing costs and they will be able to pick up cheaper housing stock with some of the cash on the balance sheet.