Online Degrees-looking for advice

piphoe

Legendary member
Thinking of enrolling in one or more of the newish online degree upstarts or remote programs from established universities to help with my trading.

I'm thinking an MBA with a minor in computer science? Or some other finance major??

What would really help me with my trading, understanding markets, options etc?

I also want to know where to park my $ once I do make it.

NEED ADVICE:innocent:

Thinking of enrolling in one or more of the newish online degree upstarts or remote programs from established universities to help with my trading.

I'm thinking an MBA with a minor in computer science? Or some other finance major??

During my psych degree we had a few modules on research methods and design (obviously) and I could probably argue that these were the most influential and impactful skills I have learned in my educational years and probably one of the top skills in my entire life! I now have the ability to carry out objective analysis on anything I want and get a decent level of proficiency in a vast array of areas if I choose to do so, without having to pay an institution to teach me. Also, understanding the mechanics of learning will help you prime the machine that is, you.

If you are looking to have a piece of paper at the end that you hope will open more doors for you then disregard what I'm saying but if you are looking for a way to increase your effectiveness then I strongly suggest getting trained in the science of research design, methods (including statistics) and the mechanics of learning. It's like that saying of giving a man a fish and he eats for a day... teach a man how to carry out scientific research and understand how learning works means he will have to ability to eat every day as he now has the skills to go out and get fruit from any tree.

Clearly there are issues with traders giving each other advice. As in, great advice from one trading style may have little to no relevance to another traders style...so definitely keep that in mind.

You asked what would really help with your trading... that would totally depend on your style of trading. Someone who trades 100% technical will not need as much education in business and economics as someone who's methods incorporate fundamentals. There is an MIT Economics module that you can take on Youtube and I found it useful as I left school early and lacked the know when it comes to even the basics of this sort of stuff.

Anyway, here are modules from MIT on Principles of Microeconomics and another module on Computer Science...and it's all free :)

-

-

Last edited:

For pure MBA, I did research it few years ago and find this one to be the cheapest/easiest, but I doubt you'll learn something useful, that's why I have decided against it at the end.. maybe if I was younger...

https://www.ebsglobal.net/programmes/mba

For free stuff, not sure how good the classes are, since the older I get, the lazier I am, so I can't be bothered, but here are 2 that came across:

This is a free economics university, yes it is free for everyone:

https://www.mruniversity.com/economics-video-library

This one is free, but you have to be accepted and looks very interesting, especially of you are 20 something old and want to make a career out of it

https://wqu.org/

Trading is about learning to trade and is not an academic endeavour. It is about acquiring specific skill sets, adopting a trading process and having the right tools. Professional trading can only be taught by professional traders. IMO if you can, join a prop. firm that offers a trainee traders program. I am not talking about trading educators. I am talking about prop. firms that offer trainee traders program for the best and brightest of new university graduates. I believe there are some firms that offer a similar program for those that are willing to pay for a slot in the program.

I can’t resist to plug my alma mater here, it is not free, but covers economics and business ( and no, I didn’t go next door :)

thx for all replies and keep em coming ...need all help i can get :D

i'll consider each & everyone and look into them all. thx again!

Special thx to Nowler for the vids. I promise to watch them all.