On balance volume!

Navraj

6 0
I was wondering what the Default setting of the OBV indicator was? I think it is 14 but aren't too sure. And is there a charting platform where I can change the periods to another?

Regards Navraj

timsk

Legendary member
7,600 2,374
I was wondering what the Default setting of the OBV indicator was? I think it is 14 but aren't too sure. And is there a charting platform where I can change the periods to another?
Hi Navraj,
I've checked Achelis' Technical Analysis from A to Z and I can't see any mention of period settings. This is reflected in the indicator's parameters in MT4 which makes no such provision. I've done a (very) quick Google search on Joseph Granville (who's credited with developing OBV) - but can't see any mention of default settings.

If your charting software offers you the option to change the period settings, all I can suggest is that you experiment until you find something that works - whatever 'works' means for you!
Tim.

Lightning McQueen

4,935 788
a look at how obv is calculated (mt4)

If today’s close is greater than yesterday’s close then: OBV(i) = OBV(i-1)+VOLUME(i)

If today’s close is less than yesterday’s close then: OBV(i) = OBV(i-1)-VOLUME(i)

If today’s close is equal to yesterday’s close then: OBV(i) = OBV(i-1)

Where:

OBV(i) — is the indicator value of the current period;
OBV(i-1) — is the indicator value of the previous period;
VOLUME(i) — is the volume of the current bar.

metastock explain their obv in a clear manner

On Balance Volume is calculated by adding the day's volume to a cumulative total when the security's price closes up, and subtracting the day's volume when the security's price closes down.

If today's close is greater than yesterday's close then:

OBV = Yesterday's OBV + Todays Volume

If today's close is less than yesterday's close then:

OBV = Yesterday's OBV - Todays Volume

If today's close is equal to yesterday's close then:

OBV = Yesterday's OBV
as can be seen in both examples the look back period is fixed, unless there is a variant of obv you are using that changes the look back period, there's nothing to change.

what is actually being looked at? and why is there a thought in regards to changing the period? just curious :)

Navraj

6 0
Hi Navraj,
I've checked Achelis' Technical Analysis from A to Z and I can't see any mention of period settings. This is reflected in the indicator's parameters in MT4 which makes no such provision. I've done a (very) quick Google search on Joseph Granville (who's credited with developing OBV) - but can't see any mention of default settings.

If your charting software offers you the option to change the period settings, all I can suggest is that you experiment until you find something that works - whatever 'works' means for you!
Tim.

Thanks for the response Tim! (y)

Navraj

6 0
a look at how obv is calculated (mt4)

metastock explain their obv in a clear manner

as can be seen in both examples the look back period is fixed, unless there is a variant of obv you are using that changes the look back period, there's nothing to change.

what is actually being looked at? and why is there a thought in regards to changing the period? just curious :)

OBV(i-1) — is the indicator value of the previous period, so correct me if I'm wrong but it only looks at the previous period. I want to change the formula to look at the last X periods. e.g 9. Its a new strategy which I think would work, PM me and maybe I can explain bit more.

Lightning McQueen

4,935 788
OBV(i-1) — is the indicator value of the previous period, so correct me if I'm wrong but it only looks at the previous period. I want to change the formula to look at the last X periods. e.g 9. Its a new strategy which I think would work, PM me and maybe I can explain bit more.

as I understand it changing the look back period will only confuse the calculation as it is now, as a look back period of greater than the previous close is already calculated in the cumulative volume data. you'd have to completely rewrite obv, surely? :confused:

can you not just use a different volume based indicator to suit your requirement? one that can change periods for example.

Navraj

6 0
as I understand it changing the look back period will only confuse the calculation as it is now, as a look back period of greater than the previous close is already calculated in the cumulative volume data. you'd have to completely rewrite obv, surely? :confused:

can you not just use a different volume based indicator to suit your requirement? one that can change periods for example.

yep you're absolutely right.:cry:. I think one way to re-write it would be to have a cumulative count of only 9 periods? ill PM you when I can with the strategy, and see if you can add you're experience to it.(y)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock