Number of trades per day/week

LiboNZT

The main reasoning for this thread is to see how different type of traders act on the market and how soon. It would really help me a lot if you guys could state what type of trader you are and how many times, on average, you trade per day or per week. After doing some search in the journals section of the forums, I was wondering if there is anyone here trading both intraday and in longer time frames also, is that viable? Thanks a lot!

I'll probably do 1/2 a day if this signals are there, so i guess 5-10 a week, but sometimes i'll have no signals a day and sometimes 3.. generally looking for a 10 pip move in either direction using Bollinger as a study. I'm seeing OK returns.

depends on market conditions ..........one important point though is if you overtrade you will give money back to the market .whatever TF you trade

if you are looking for generalisations why not ask how many Trades are taken per 100 bars say...I tend to look at that ratio as it works as an indicator in any TF

N

started off with 4 or 5 a day per pair, fearing missing a move.
targetting 20-30 pips profit.

now, bit more relaxed, and maybe 1-2 trades a day per pair, usually session related.
these days, targetting 40-50, so more relaxed. (although recent lack of decent moves has been bit of a curve-ball)

the number of trades per day/week must be seen in context of targets as well, as if you're targetting 10-15 pips per trade, you will of neccessity be gunning for more trades.

A better question, if I may be so bold, is to ask how many trades per day/week and also how many pips per day/week.
I wonder if the average pips taken is more consistent.
For example, I wonder if the average pips per week was 100-150, but some traders get it with 2-3 trades of 50 pips, or 4-6 trades of 25 pips, if you see what I mean.

Trendie, i think the thing i'd find was if i had a day or 2 days with no trades, then i'd feel a bit uneasy about it, but generally it never went on for more than a few days at a time before i'd be able to make 1-2 again.

if you are looking for generalisations why not ask how many Trades are taken per 100 bars say...I tend to look at that ratio as it works as an indicator in any TF
N

What do you mean by saying '' how many trades are taken per 100 bars''? Can you please give me an example?

Depends on your style my friend. Personally im a swing trader on UK FTSE250 companies so dependant on the movement and whether i hit my target price its upto 3-4 weeks but usually around 2-3.

this absolutely is the problem of trading strategy, many scalpers set small gap of TP and SL point, this will lead to many trades a day.

it's hard to say which is better. however I prefer 2-4 trades a week.

I trade end of day exclusively and will trade up to maybe 6 or 7 times a month. The reason I trade so infrequently is because I have very particular rules and I'll stalk trades for days, weeks or months before they happen. Although the frequency is very low, the trades tend to be anything from 3:1 to 15:1 targets, so when they pay, they pay well.

The positive side to this is that I typically only spend about 20 minutes a day looking at charts, which suits me down to the ground :)

The main reasoning for this thread is to see how different type of traders act on the market and how soon. It would really help me a lot if you guys could state what type of trader you are and how many times, on average, you trade per day or per week. After doing some search in the journals section of the forums, I was wondering if there is anyone here trading both intraday and in longer time frames also, is that viable? Thanks a lot!

I am a day trader, so I can average between 2 to 6 trader per day. As a day trader, trading less is the challenge, so I do stick to my system in oder to minimize my trading. I also take into consideration time of the day and volume.
I sometimes, swing trade but very seldom. I like the idea of having control at any given moment and hate the idea of waking up to witness an ugly surprise.