Norton- worth re-newing??

neil

Legendary member
Hi Folks,
I have been notified that my Norton Antivirus is coming up for re-newal.

Is it worth renewing or is there a better animal out there?
:?:

have u been happy with it.Did it do what it said on the box. I have been ok with one exception that with hindsight was my own fault

dt

that used to work but once u update to any of their latest stuff they have stopped the reinstall route and most will not (inc me) be a***d with the format option

I was a 100% norton user on 4 machines. Then I realised that it was slow and allowing naughties on my machine, not virus but popups and spyware.
Changed to Mcafee and I am much more satisfied. Clean and frequent updates.
If you uninstall norton you will need a good reg cleaner like jv16 power tools as the uninstall leaves all sorts of garbage.
Also McAfee handles Win XP SP2 firewall much better.
Anyway thats my personal experience.

Used to have NAV on my old Dell laptop (installed by manufacturer), but once allowed a virus thru` which then managed to stop NAV from removing it. Had to go thru` long process of manually removing the virus, using advice from another source.

Now have Avast anti-virus on my desktop, which regularly picks up on & deals with potentially infected e-mails as they reach mailbox (NAV never did this). Also Avast has a free version (altho` this one requires you to manually run virus scans - not a problem in my view) and updates itself automatically (& very much more regularly than NAV). The On-Access scanner and the virus scans are easily adjustable, whereas I seem to remember NAV wasn`t. Whenever I`ve had any queries, Avast have answered them within a day by e-mail, whilst NAV either directed you thru` a usually useless FAQ section on their website or gave you a premium rate helpline phone number.

No contest!