'No indicators' revisited

Trader333 said:
There is not only one answer to this but as a rule of thumb I would aim for a 1% move in the stock price from the point at which I have entered. However, there are many reasons why I would close a trade and often trades can be at a lot more than 1% in movement without any reason to close.

Paul

paul

do you put an exit order in 1% away when you enter or do you close manually or do you put a trailing stop order in when your 1% is achieved?

good trading

jon

Jon,

I now close open positions manually although I have tried other methods such as trailing stops as you have mentioned but they do not work too well when trading primarily using Price & Volume.

Paul

He was stopped out by the authorities whilst trying to smuggle 50 latin ladies out of South America...they claimed he had broke the golden rule and insisted he retrace his path to Sao Paulo where he is currently esconced regaling his ladies with fibs about the size of his portfolio

no,sorry, just having a joke...I hope he is well

Oui, Monsieur Dada,
evidament China White a quitte ce website pour des raisons qu'il est seul a connaitre. On peut seulement faire la supposition, que peut etre c'est a cause des betises eternes et des discusions mauvaises, c'est a dire, ni de bon gout, ni sans fin.

Cordialment.

Translation of the above :~

Dear Mr Dada,
evidently China White has abandoned this website ( these boards) for reasons best known to himself. One can only suppose that it is due to eternal stupidities and dicussions of an unpleasant nature, that is to say, not in good taste, nor without end.

Cordially.

And for the benefit of his Latin American chums, In Spanish, as follows:~

Si Senor Dada,
Evidentemente China White ha abandonado este Website por razones que el solo sabe. Uno solo puede suponer que esto es debido a las estupidades eternas y discusiones de tipo desagradable, es decir, ni de buen gusto, ni sin fin.

Cordialmente.

kevin546 said:
Another way to use a moving average. 1 min chart with 34 ema enter deals when ema line has turned towards new trend. It is not as close as some methods but this setting helps to avoid to many false entries. As long as you are prepared to use it this way and run with a trend then it works well. To make this chart clearer I have not included the 3 sma which I use to help close out of a position if not using a 15 min chart with channel breaches.

Grey1, I find your research about a more complex moving average very interesting.

I've been lurking through all these posts and I must say that it has all been about as clear as mud until I read yours. This is the way I have been trading for a very long time, using a different average, but no one is the same. I think that most people try to spot tops and bottoms instead of latching onto an established trend. It makes trading so much easier to do it this way.

Split

Spitlink

I trade the Dow & oil what sma is a good one for a 3 min chart for DOW. I have tried 9/18EMA & 5/10 EMA . Any other ideas on SMA I would greatly appreciate as I prefer to trade what I see. but need abit of help

Rustic

Rustic, this probably ain't the greatest thread to be asking about SMA.

You could start your own thread (perhaps under "Strategies & System"?) and develop this further.

There are many traders who I am sure still use MAs in one (exotic!) form or another.

rustic1 said:
Spitlink

I trade the Dow & oil what sma is a good one for a 3 min chart for DOW. I have tried 9/18EMA & 5/10 EMA . Any other ideas on SMA I would greatly appreciate as I prefer to trade what I see. but need abit of help

Rustic

Sorry, Rustic, I don't do index or commodities, just old fashioned and non-exotic share trading-overnight and longer. I use one ma, sufficient to help me decide what trend I'm in and then go with it, using the bars for overbought/oversold signals and with no other indicators (to keep the other posters happy!). A really KISS operation.

Split

Can you have a quick look at this interpretation of this mornings 5 min bund chart:

A - increas in vol as new sellers enter the market and setup shorts and overnight longs cover
B - consolidation phase and vol dries up giving small bounce
C - bigger players are selling up ticks and longs exiting positions on upticks
2 spikes between C and D I am unsure of, could just be crosses or hedging volume? I can't see the part it is playing
Also between C and D volume increases on a slight down move suggesting positioning of new shorts? Or could it be short covering?
D - volume drops down suggesting no further short covering
E - more shorts enter the market?

I appreciate that until the bigger picture plays out it is very difficult to see but I find myself thinking is C shortcovering or is it as above? And also if the volume is selling then why haven't we gone further?

As we can see the bund has dropped since I posted this PM to you but are the clues right? Also the volume I am looking at in my chart is small in comparison to whats happened around 14:00

Attachments

• Chart1.gif
    Chart1.gif
    137.9 KB · Views: 325
Verno

You will see that this thread is little used, the last post being in January.

May I suggest that you repost on one of the price/volume threads.

You could join the price/volume private boards and post there.

Regards

bracke

Long old thread, though, innit, John? Nearly 1,300 posts and I haven't yet put my head over the parapet ...

still alive

IDI AMIN DADA said:
Anyone know what happened to china white?

Hello everyone, I do indeed have to apologise I have been terrible at keeping in touch :eek:

As for the reasons why I do not frequent our site any more, they have more to do with the equity underlyings I am dealing with these days, rather than with certain sad comments which sadly are inevitably galore on any public site. I am 99% Emerging Markets trader these days and I do not think I should be distracting beginners with what is seemingly riskier markets to trade. I emphasise "seemingly", since in reality once you know what you are doing and reading the charts properly, they are not any riskier than STOXX50 :LOL: But again - there is a certain learning curve for any beginner, and I think trading SPX where hitorical volatilities are less than 11% on both 3 months and 1 yr time frames is a good starting point.

Do not take me wrong - EM vols are also smacked - however there is a big difference for cash trading. Mature markets' vols collapsed on price congestion, i.e. price going nowhere, whilst EM's vols are low just for the simple reason that EMs that I trade just go up and up along a straight line - see Saudi and Russian indices price action attached.

It's been a delight to trade certain EM stocks as well, both Blue Chips and 2nd tiers. Sberbank (SBER RM) has been a massive star this year, and I am very bullish for 2006. Obviously Gazprom (GSPBEX* RU) is on everyone's lips - but the beauty of Russian markets these days is that they are no longer one stock story (unlike Saudi, which I also like but I know Saudi limitations - it is a one-commodity market, well apart from a bit of cement and telecoms of Etisalat variety). There are massive opportunities in Russian markets in 2006 which are NOT oil and gas related, the most notable obviously being SvyazInvest. In this regard I like regional telecoms like Volga and NorthWest (NNSI RU and SPTL RU) which me thinks will be massive stories next year.

Quite a few "Short" stories as well of course - look at Pyaterochka's (FIVE LI) price action - biggest Russian IPO of 2005. Trading Pyaterochka over the past 2 weeks was a bit like going back in time and trading NASDAQ stocks in 2001 :LOL:

C'mon chaps with the spread btwn 10 yr US Treasury and Russia's 30 yr Sovereign at 115 bp now, Russia's a bloody developed market now!

I still go back to good old Spooz and punt there sometimes :LOL: but I have to admit it is often times a bit boring..... :(

Plus extensive travelling :cheesy: without 50 Latin ladies tho :rolleyes: - so you'd perhaps excuse my absence on these forums.......

I wish everyone a very prosperous 2006, and most importantly, loads of fun trading!

Attachments

• KSAINDEX.GIF
    KSAINDEX.GIF
    15.5 KB · Views: 359
  • RTSINDEX.GIF
    RTSINDEX.GIF
    18.7 KB · Views: 317
  • SBERBANK.GIF
    SBERBANK.GIF
    21.2 KB · Views: 279
  • FIVELI.GIF
    FIVELI.GIF
    18.1 KB · Views: 283
china white said:
Hello everyone, I do indeed have to apologise I have been terrible at keeping in touch :eek:

As for the reasons why I do not frequent our site any more, they have more to do with the equity underlyings I am dealing with these days, rather than with certain sad comments which sadly are inevitably galore on any public site. I am 99% Emerging Markets trader these days and I do not think I should be distracting beginners with what is seemingly riskier markets to trade. I emphasise "seemingly", since in reality once you know what you are doing and reading the charts properly, they are not any riskier than STOXX50 :LOL: But again - there is a certain learning curve for any beginner, and I think trading SPX where hitorical volatilities are less than 11% on both 3 months and 1 yr time frames is a good starting point.

Do not take me wrong - EM vols are also smacked - however there is a big difference for cash trading. Mature markets' vols collapsed on price congestion, i.e. price going nowhere, whilst EM's vols are low just for the simple reason that EMs that I trade just go up and up along a straight line - see Saudi and Russian indices price action attached.

It's been a delight to trade certain EM stocks as well, both Blue Chips and 2nd tiers. Sberbank (SBER RM) has been a massive star this year, and I am very bullish for 2006. Obviously Gazprom (GSPBEX* RU) is on everyone's lips - but the beauty of Russian markets these days is that they are no longer one stock story (unlike Saudi, which I also like but I know Saudi limitations - it is a one-commodity market, well apart from a bit of cement and telecoms of Etisalat variety). There are massive opportunities in Russian markets in 2006 which are NOT oil and gas related, the most notable obviously being SvyazInvest. In this regard I like regional telecoms like Volga and NorthWest (NNSI RU and SPTL RU) which me thinks will be massive stories next year.

Quite a few "Short" stories as well of course - look at Pyaterochka's (FIVE LI) price action - biggest Russian IPO of 2005. Trading Pyaterochka over the past 2 weeks was a bit like going back in time and trading NASDAQ stocks in 2001 :LOL:

C'mon chaps with the spread btwn 10 yr US Treasury and Russia's 30 yr Sovereign at 115 bp now, Russia's a bloody developed market now!

I still go back to good old Spooz and punt there sometimes :LOL: but I have to admit it is often times a bit boring..... :(

Plus extensive travelling :cheesy: without 50 Latin ladies tho :rolleyes: - so you'd perhaps excuse my absence on these forums.......

I wish everyone a very prosperous 2006, and most importantly, loads of fun trading!

interesting stuff. what broker do you use for international stocks? what are the costs like? are the exchanges electronic or open outcry?

Good to see you making a crust China! ;)
All the best for the festive season ahead.
Still having a go at it - learned a LOT this year, hopefully I can say the same in another years time! :LOL:
Q

brokers

charliechan said:
interesting stuff. what broker do you use for international stocks? what are the costs like? are the exchanges electronic or open outcry?

First and foremost, you trade ADRs just as any shares on NYSE. London GDRs are normal LSE stocks apart from their denomination in USD as base currency. You normally pay 20 bips

If you want to do locals you need local geezers :LOL: I use BSF (Banque Saudi Fransi) in Riyadh and UralSib (former Nikoil) in Moscow.

Q - thx for your post. I wish you a fab time trading in 2006 as well!