NLP: Time Line Therapy

trendie

Legendary member
As part of my on-going personal development, and addressing psychological aspects to (perceived) limitations, and how best to resolve them, I seem to be drawn to NLP.

Particularly Time Line Therapy, which seems very interesting.

Has anyone any experience of Time Line Therapy?
Has anyone used it (NLP) in the context of re-framing trading perspectives?
Are the (relatively expensive) courses worth the money?

Reason for asking is that these courses tend to be quite expensive.
I dont mind spending a couple of hundred for an educational weekend, but these are several hundreds!!
(I have got through some of the basic books, and moving onto intermediate level books)

thanks.

Yes, NLP is the way to go. Many famous people have written books about applying NLP to Trading. For example, Ruth Barron-Roosevelt's "Exceptional Trading - The Mind Game" is perhaps the most well known.

I have also bought Tad James's "Time Line Therapy and the Basis of Personality" from www.nlpcoaching.com. TLT is a relatively simple technique that works. Try it.

The book "NLP The New Technology Of Achievement" can be bought from most bookshops for around £10. There is no real need to attend an expensive course.

Hi,

I am new to trading, but I am a qualified and experienced hypnotherapist, and Master NLP Practitioner, and I can confirm that NLP is very helpful in producing quick change and positive results. I like to teach my clients these tools so that they have tools for life. I congratulate you in your search of personal development, and know that we can use some of the NLP techniques to help performance in many areas, including that of the trader.

Best wishes all,

Diane7

I concur that reading a few books is probably better than spending thousands on courses. I trained to practitioner level and also trained with Anthony Robbins. But I got quite disillusioned with the NLP scene. The problem for me is that they often make outrageous claims - come on this course for a weekend and we will change your life forever - that sort of thing. I am sorry but it just is not that simple. Also, I found that a lot of the exercises that you were asked to do were, frankly, silly. Tap yourself here and there, look up to the left and think of success - and your life will be fantastic. Yeah sure.

At the end of the day, life is tough and trading is even tougher. There are great books out there that contain useful ideas, one or more of which might help you to make a big difference in your life. But you even have to be careful what you read - I notice that a lot of NLP books on the shelves of bookstores today are just offering material regurgitated from the original NLP thinkers, and probably dumbed down to boot. I would certainly recommend reading the older NLP books.

What was the most important thing I learned from Robbins? If you want something, get off your a** and do what needs to be done to get it! And if you think it is going to hurt, you are probably wrong, but if you are right, tough!

OK, said enough. Better go back to bed.

swandro said:
I concur that reading a few books is probably better than spending thousands on courses. I trained to practitioner level and also trained with Anthony Robbins. But I got quite disillusioned with the NLP scene. The problem for me is that they often make outrageous claims - come on this course for a weekend and we will change your life forever - that sort of thing. I am sorry but it just is not that simple. Also, I found that a lot of the exercises that you were asked to do were, frankly, silly. Tap yourself here and there, look up to the left and think of success - and your life will be fantastic. Yeah sure.

At the end of the day, life is tough and trading is even tougher. There are great books out there that contain useful ideas, one or more of which might help you to make a big difference in your life. But you even have to be careful what you read - I notice that a lot of NLP books on the shelves of bookstores today are just offering material regurgitated from the original NLP thinkers, and probably dumbed down to boot. I would certainly recommend reading the older NLP books.

What was the most important thing I learned from Robbins? If you want something, get off your a** and do what needs to be done to get it! And if you think it is going to hurt, you are probably wrong, but if you are right, tough!

OK, said enough. Better go back to bed.

I agree with what you say Swandro,

I even met Bandler or was it Grindler last year along with paul Mckenna, ( the guys who put together NLP john Bandler & richard Grindler) nice enough people,
but did it change my life........NO
am I stinking rich and have a playboy lifestyle, with not a care in the world.......NO, am I normal......YES, I recommend you read there books along with Tony Robbins and the much older Nepolian Hill " Think & grow Rich", which must be nearly 80- years old !! you may even learn a lot , or you could go to church, you know those one's that shout at you how god saved me and he can save you too, praise the lord ! they can change you life, probably a lot cheaper to !
or finally you could read which I do recommend 100% Charles Darwin or Richard Dawkins
Good Luck to you my friend its a well worn path you travel, ps its amazing how many people in the psychology business dont believe in god.........

trendie said:
As part of my on-going personal development, and addressing psychological aspects to (perceived) limitations, and how best to resolve them, I seem to be drawn to NLP.

I dont mind spending a couple of hundred for an educational weekend, but these are several hundreds!!
(I have got through some of the basic books, and moving onto intermediate level books)

thanks.
Trendie, I am a Master Trainer of NLP (though no longer train) and trained in Time Line therapy with Tad James himself (along with a whole bunch of other 'weird' stuff in Hawaii - I think I might also have been ordained into Huna - but I'm no longer sure - it might have just been a waking dream I'm still having... :eek: ). And yes, wonderful stuff. But if you go off down that route, you might never come back. I didn't...

It's hard to say if TLT is 'better' or more useful than vanilla NLP in relation to any one specific area (such as trading). But as an overall PD programme - it would be hard to beat. And I'd recommend it to anyone.

But don't put it on the P&L for your trading account - it's a 'YOU' thing, and not an add-on for 'just' trading.

TLT will have you looking more at the 'In Time' or 'Thru Time' issues which we use to bias and polarise events through your perceptual filters. You might want to read a little Fritz Perls and more popularly, Myers-Briggs (from which all the *******ised JPFTEI...blah blah blah comes for those one day management courses where you can learn to harness the power within...arf!)

I don't know if Tad still teaches - I know his son Matt does but don't have any experience with the little 'un. There is one other guy I'd recommend which I will do if you care to PM. Don't want the vendor thing slapped on my profile.... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Interesting thread because I was thinking about NLP the other day, but not for trading just improving certain aspects of my business life.

But there's so much material out there, books, dvds, courses etc and then of courses on courses (just like Doji Darren etc you never the the full benefit until you take the next course etc).

So is there a classic NLP book out there, and if so what is it?

I would prefer to work at NLP far more than keep buying and reading the next book/course etc.

Thanks

All good stuff. But the real thing that will bring any lasting success or change to your trading (and life)is clarity of thought. We have it better in some areas than others.
Regular meditation allows you to achieve this, and even helps with dealing with emotions and "clearing out" the clutter .

Only guy who I know does it now as far as i am aware is Colin Beckley - 01843 841010. Sorry no website . And i am not affiliated with him in any way.

Have a chat and do some research yourselves. Type in Transcendental Meditation in google and it thows up many pages.

BW

Market Wizard said:
All good stuff. But the real thing that will bring any lasting success or change to your trading (and life)is clarity of thought. We have it better in some areas than others.
Regular meditation allows you to achieve this, and even helps with dealing with emotions and "clearing out" the clutter .

Only guy who I know does it now as far as i am aware is Colin Beckley - 01843 841010. Sorry no website . And i am not affiliated with him in any way.

Have a chat and do some research yourselves. Type in Transcendental Meditation in google and it thows up many pages.

BW
i have no affiliation with traderfeed but he's got a daily article on trdr psych

trendie said:

thanks.
THE DISCIPLINED TRADER by Mark Douglas ,excellent book that deals strictly with the subject of emotions in trading

trendie said:

thanks.

Hi there,
I have experienced both NLP and Timeline. In fact I have a Masters in both, as welll as in Hypnosis from Advanced Neurodynamics (Tad James).
Are they worth the money? Depends on what you expect from them. You will get a good understanding of the material but applying it is a whole different kettle of fish. It takes practice, practice, practice. It is great to use on your kids, it will help you see things in a different light but if you are expecting to see a major difference in your trading - I am not sure it will do the trick. Depends on what your issues are. I enjoyed it a lot . be realistic in your expectations and then decide if the money is worth it to you. By the way, there are other NLP trainers other than those who do Timeline but I do have to say that Timeline is neat - very neat.
Cheers
paul

anley,
the absolute best and classic book about pure NLP is:

Introducing Nlp by Joseph O'Connor
Unlimited Power by Anthony Robbins
a development of NLP within the trading environment is:
Trading in the Zone

Hope that helps!!!

Marry christmas

Search for Hypnotherapist in Phnom Penh

Diane7 said:
Hi,

I am new to trading, but I am a qualified and experienced hypnotherapist ...

Hello Diane,
I am Pierre and looking for a qualified hypnotherapist in Phnom Penh. I found you on Google but after registering with t2W I saw that you are not actually located here but in England? Do you have a practice in Phnom Penh or can you recommend me any hypnotherapist in Phnom Penh?
Thanks in advance.
Pierre.

Diane7 said:
Hi,

I am new to trading, but I am a qualified and experienced hypnotherapist, and Master NLP Practitioner, and I can confirm that NLP is very helpful in producing quick change and positive results. I like to teach my clients these tools so that they have tools for life. I congratulate you in your search of personal development, and know that we can use some of the NLP techniques to help performance in many areas, including that of the trader.

Best wishes all,

Diane7

Hi Diane, they say success in trading is all to do with the mental fitness, so i presume being a hypnotherapist and a Master NLP practitioner - you must be a master trader by now! Or does this not work on self?

PierreFWalter said:
Diane7 said:
Hi,

I am new to trading, but I am a qualified and experienced hypnotherapist ...

Hello Diane,
I am Pierre and looking for a qualified hypnotherapist in Phnom Penh. I found you on Google but after registering with t2W I saw that you are not actually located here but in England? Do you have a practice in Phnom Penh or can you recommend me any hypnotherapist in Phnom Penh?
Thanks in advance.
Pierre.

Its all in the mind..............................................................
The more doubt you put in................................. the deeper in the hole you get!

The simple technique which you can do it yourself is creative visualisation and Hindu meditation. on visualisation everyday spend going through the positive sides of trading, and your good profitable trades and see yourself FOLLOWING the rules.

simple and it will not cost you a penny! PLUS it works

Well, Time Line Therapy(R) is a collection of tools and techniques created by Dr Tad James in the mid 1980s.

These tools and techniques allow you to totally release emotions like Anger, Sadness, Fear, Guilt and Hurt as well as totally release limiting decisions from your past. In addition you can use Time Line Therapy(R) to set powerful goals in your future.

Watch out this video to find out more about Time Line Therapy(R) and how it can help you.

thanks.

Did it work for u?