Nigerian Money Laundering Scams

TheBramble

Legendary member
Just read an interesting piece on ‘Nigerian Lotteries’. I have an active business involvement with the country so always keen to understand why what I rate as an entrepreneurial, intelligent, hardworking and innovative bunch of people (albeit corrupt from our Western perspective) would apparently attempt to scam people with such obviously infantile and clearly bogus opportunities to make vast sums for nothing by assisting in various soft money laundering operations. Turns out they are as smart, if not smarter, than I thought.

The thing is, they want the requests to appear obviously naïve and an outright scam precisely to prevent anyone other than a total moron from wasting their time by getting into the process with them in the first place. They don’t want people dropping out after time and effort has been expended on hooking and corralling them. It is the total morons they are after in the first place as the probabilities of them getting all the way to pay dirt with them are that much higher. A simple and effective fool filter. Restored my faith in their abilities it has.

So you're calling me a moron because I sent money to my long lost uncle from Nigeria?

Peter

So you're calling me a moron because I sent money to my long lost uncle from Nigeria?

Peter
Somebody has to harvest the morons Pete. Save this post quickly. Tim will complain to auntie Jon about it. I've been ever so wude to someone again here in t2w-never-never-land.

The sources of investment scams are spread far and wide and many come from abroad. Just because it’s not from the UK does not mean it can’t be reported to UK authorities. If you think you’ve been scammed then always report them to the FCA or the Action Fraud helpline. They may be able to take action on these.

Remember, if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. If you think they’re smart then be smarter than them and don’t be tempted.

Just read an interesting piece on ‘Nigerian Lotteries’. I have an active business involvement with the country so always keen to understand why what I rate as an entrepreneurial, intelligent, hardworking and innovative bunch of people (albeit corrupt from our Western perspective) would apparently attempt to scam people with such obviously infantile and clearly bogus opportunities to make vast sums for nothing by assisting in various soft money laundering operations. Turns out they are as smart, if not smarter, than I thought.

The thing is, they want the requests to appear obviously naïve and an outright scam precisely to prevent anyone other than a total moron from wasting their time by getting into the process with them in the first place. They don’t want people dropping out after time and effort has been expended on hooking and corralling them. It is the total morons they are after in the first place as the probabilities of them getting all the way to pay dirt with them are that much higher. A simple and effective fool filter. Restored my faith in their abilities it has.

I heard the same thing. Many scams are deliberately designed to attract only idiots hence the ridiculous claims of 100% a year using my secret nazi box and so on. The only thing that puzzles me is how people so dumb have money to waste on these things in the first place.

What? my good friend Nigel Soladu would never betray me after I lent him £4000? Would he?

Especially not over the internet, one of the most trusted platforms of our modern society?