Nigel Farage

He was the shrewd Trotskyite who grew up on Foot and Benn's knee and jumped into bed with the trade unions to capture their vote in the Party leadership contest after Brown.

David Milliband was sipping tea thinking jaffa cakes whilst Ed was having tea and doughnuts with the comrades. (y)

Shock horror - someone actually supporting the workers? Isn't the clue in the name? The Labour Party.

The whole country knows David should have been elected leader and yet the younger sibling Ed, had better grasp of mathematics. Shock horror. :-0

He was a Blairite. Fine if that's what you want, but people were a bit tired of Blairism, and personally, I never bought into it.

I quite liked Milliband's recent speech, but it's too little, too late. And he should have ditched Balls. I don't think he has a hope, but I don't agree with the opprobrium being heaped upon him either.

Exactly right...and we have very recent evidence that this was the case under Thatcher....as the Eighties rolled on, she was able to finally pay down all outstanding debt.

Er...are you sure? She might have balanced the budget (although I'm not even sure about that), but I'd be amazed if she'd managed to pay off all the accumulated national debt. Bloody miracle, in fact. Do you have any sources to back this up?

No, I was too busy wondering why I thought Samantha Cameron was hot. Is there something wrong with me? She's sort of goofy yet dead bangable.

I think you have the germ of an idea for a new TV series here: "Politician's Wives".

Send it to Channel 4 or BBC3.

The polls show that the Libs are barely visible. Liberalism sounds good as they shout for liberty, freedom etc. but have turned into monsters when confronted by real problems. Did the Comrades of Bolshevism or the French Revolution allow liberty etc. - of course not.
Only useful really as an alternative protest party never likely to take over again.

Learn from history- it keeps repeating itself.

:)
When I was young a female Scottish accent used to send me. In the end, it was a Spanish accent that won the day.

I think the grass always seems greener on the other side.
But I know what you mean about the charms of a female Scottish accent though.

I have no time for Farage or UKIP, but the one thing in their favour is their potential to split the Conservative vote in the same way as the SDP split the Labour vote in the 1980s.

However, they also now seem to be splitting the Labour vote, and IMHO, that is entirely Labour's fault, thanks to its transformation under Blair. Brown, Mandelson, et al, into Tory Lite. They turned their backs on traditional Labour principles and traditional Labour voters (not that these were ever Blair's principles in the first place - he was an opportunist entryist). And the post-Blair Labour Party is paying the price, and there is not enough time before the next election for it to recover, if it ever was going to recover.

My real beef with UKIP though, is that the Euro sceptic argument is being confined to a bunch of closet racists, when there is a perfectly respectable and non-racist anti-Europe argument to be made. But if you dare to question the EU now, you get tarred with the UKIP brush.

I used to be very pro-Europe, and still am culturally. As a trading agreement between economic peers, fine. I understand why the Common Market and later the EC was founded, and mainly agree, but I now see strongly the dangers of a federalised European state. The Euro was clearly a terrifying mistake, and at least Gordon Brown did one thing correctly, by keeping us out. But we are still stuck with Maastricht and other treaties which I believe work against our economic interests.

I may be wrong, but the annoying thing is now that you can't even discuss or question these things without being lumped in with Farage's rabble or being accused of being a little Englander. If I wanted union with any other nation, it would be with the Scandinavians. They are culturally closer to us than the other European countries, and since our unfortunate series of misunderstandings all those years ago with the Vikings, have been our natural allies. (Sandy Toksvig is not a national treasure for nothing). But actually, I don't want union with any other nation. Stand on our own two feet, retain our independence and freedom of choice - not autarchy, but co-operation with equals.

I have no time for Farage or UKIP, but the one thing in their favour is their potential to split the Conservative vote in the same way as the SDP split the Labour vote in the 1980s.

However, they also now seem to be splitting the Labour vote, and IMHO, that is entirely Labour's fault, thanks to its transformation under Blair. Brown, Mandelson, et al, into Tory Lite. They turned their backs on traditional Labour principles and traditional Labour voters (not that these were ever Blair's principles in the first place - he was an opportunist entryist). And the post-Blair Labour Party is paying the price, and there is not enough time before the next election for it to recover, if it ever was going to recover.

My real beef with UKIP though, is that the Euro sceptic argument is being confined to a bunch of closet racists, when there is a perfectly respectable and non-racist anti-Europe argument to be made. But if you dare to question the EU now, you get tarred with the UKIP brush.

I used to be very pro-Europe, and still am culturally. As a trading agreement between economic peers, fine. I understand why the Common Market and later the EC was founded, and mainly agree, but I now see strongly the dangers of a federalised European state. The Euro was clearly a terrifying mistake, and at least Gordon Brown did one thing correctly, by keeping us out. But we are still stuck with Maastricht and other treaties which I believe work against our economic interests.

I may be wrong, but the annoying thing is now that you can't even discuss or question these things without being lumped in with Farage's rabble or being accused of being a little Englander. If I wanted union with any other nation, it would be with the Scandinavians. They are culturally closer to us than the other European countries, and since our unfortunate series of misunderstandings all those years ago with the Vikings, have been our natural allies. (Sandy Toksvig is not a national treasure for nothing). But actually, I don't want union with any other nation. Stand on our own two feet, retain our independence and freedom of choice - not autarchy, but co-operation with equals.

I remember the lies that politicians used in THE referendum to get us in. If it had just been a trading group I would have voted for it but as I suspected there has been a strong political connection too. Such a waste that the Brussells elite won't reform the EU into a winning club until it is too late.
BTW the Normans were not French as most believe but really a Viking group who settled there after being beaten by Alfred The Great some centuries earlier.

We were members of the Outer Seven, which comprised the countries mentioned above but, apparently, the future with those nations did not seem bright enough.

The truth is, the British do not really know what they want and, if they leave EU, they will not be satisfied with whatever they have within a few years time, either.

If they were, really, for integration with Europe, then the EU should be a far better group of nations than it is.

Tell me if I am wrong, because EU membership rules are not my strong point, but how is it that there are 28 member states if entry can be vetoed? All of the eastern European countries, many of which are causng the immigration problem to which the UK objects, have all joined with the blessing of Britain, or is that not the case?

The EU started out as a commercial and business arrangement and over the years has morphed into a political superstate of left leaning tendency. The economics are now subservient to political ideals – that's why they've got the Euro. Most politicians don't understand economics (even the economists have enough trouble) and are more interested in imposing their will on the rest of us who work to provide the money to fund their ambitions. It's doomed to failure in its current state.

We were members of the Outer Seven, which comprised the countries mentioned above but, apparently, the future with those nations did not seem bright enough.

The truth is, the British do not really know what they want and, if they leave EU, they will not be satisfied with whatever they have within a few years time, either.

If they were, really, for integration with Europe, then the EU should be a far better group of nations than it is.

Tell me if I am wrong, because EU membership rules are not my strong point, but how is it that there are 28 member states if entry can be vetoed? All of the eastern European countries, many of which are causng the immigration problem to which the UK objects, have all joined with the blessing of Britain, or is that not the case?

You are right indeed. UK outside of EU is unthinkable. Problem is UK wants it all without really being honest about what it really wants.

EU knows its leading countries have a pending pension time bomb and a declining birth rate with people living well passed sell by dates. The recent pension reform in the UK is on the right tracks. Hand it back to the individual what can't be managed centrally.

Industry needs cheap labour with static wages. Foreign element do all the jobs the picky Brits do not wish to do. It's not about them taking our jobs. It's a reality check - they do jobs we choose not to. Skills shortage is another factor.

Personally, I would like to see borderless nations with free travel anywhere with standard taxation and laws throughout the land (AND NO state benefits). If one chooses to travel then one must be able to support one self fully. Single currency would also be great. It may take another 100-200 years but it is a good dream to hold. Single language would be just great too and English would be well cool.

Yes I have a dream indeed. (y)

The EU started out as a commercial and business arrangement and over the years has morphed into a political superstate of left leaning tendency. The economics are now subservient to political ideals – that's why they've got the Euro. Most politicians don't understand economics (even the economists have enough trouble) and are more interested in imposing their will on the rest of us who work to provide the money to fund their ambitions. It's doomed to failure in its current state.

Quite so....it is doomed to failure.

In Britain we have been told to embrace and celebrate difference.

Well I agree, we should celebrate difference, and we can do that perfectly well from outside the EU super state.

Material for Nigel to drown with a pint...

Fast-track visas are needed to ensure that growing firms can employ workers from overseas speedily, the Scale-up report commissioned by creative industries minister Ed Vaizey is expected say on Monday. The document, written by London Stock Exchange non-executive director Sherry Coutu, is expected to say that a named minister focused specifically on growing companies is needed, according to the Sunday Telegraph. The suggestion is one of 12 laid out in the document, which also recommends that "start-ups" become thought of as "scale-ups" and the term 'SME' no longer be used to referred to small and medium-sized firms. The report, which was commissioned by the Information Economy Council, is due to be launched at an event at Bloomberg on Monday.

Sounds like Star Ship UK-Enterprise "Must have more migrants"!

Give me warped ideas :cheesy:

There are hints from UKIP now that voters will look at the recent by-election results and conclude that a vote for UKIP actually does count....They came uncomfortably close (for Labour) in Heywood & Middleton.

I'd love to see a Labour defection before the next general election....that would really throw a spanner amongst the pigeons :LOL:

With only around 40% voting in UK and Spain, there is scope for a much larger turnout next time around.

Let's hope that that happens.

As I understand it for the next elections; party manifesto's are in the making...

Labour wants traditional rich and poor, us and them divide to be battle ground.

Tories will tell you the economy is improving and lower taxes just round the corner if you haven't had yours already.

Liberals - ermmmm? I voted for them in the last election but not sure what they stand for now. Balance is the best I can conjure up but that doesn't set me alight with enthusiasm...

UKIP - Stop the EU integration and kick immigrants out. This is the recipe for fixing our debt, creaking national health and pension crises. Should be entertaining as the establishment balks at the prospect.

Green Party - who I shall be voting for next year. Get out of the rat race and hug a tree. Stuff capitalism - save earth. Be a real hero. (y)

Does wonders walking the old dog. :)

All the parties seem to be so wishy washy at this point. wish there was just a table somewhere that listed it in black and white :)