NFA Dead Forex Firms Walking

Olint Rumor Mill keeps Squeezing out the Pulp

It’s hard to know what to believe about Olint these days with newspaper headlines like this “David Smith Alive and Kicking” courtesy of the Jamaica Observer:
'David Smith alive and kicking' - JAMAICAOBSERVER.COM

POLICE in the Turks and Caicos Islands yesterday dismissed rumours that head of beleaguered investment club Olint, David Smith, had attempted to commit suicide by taking a drug overdose.

"He is alive and kicking as far as I know," Sergeant Calvin Chase of the Turks and Caicos police force told the Observer. "We have no such information and I am certainly not aware of it."

So where did these “rumours” come from? Who knows. So much about this Olint case is cloaked in secrecy. An email is leaked by an unknown source purportedly written by Smith stating the fund is a shambles forcing Smith to deny it. But later in the week Smith’s own lawyer hints that the email was in fact legit:
OLINT Crash - Email Very Genuine(with letter) Real Investments For Life

Earlier this week Jamaican radio reported that Olint’s accounts at brokers like FXCM, Oanda and FX Solutions have been frozen and that David Smith is being investigated by the Department of Justice for possible money laundering (although none of these firms has gone on the record stating they even have any David Smith accounts at their firms, possibly because of client confidentiality agreements.)

And Government officials in the Turks and Caicos remain tight lipped and unwilling to shed any light on David Smith’s now defunct operation. In such an environment “rumours” will take hold. It is time someone in authority in Jamaica or the Turks and Caicos step forward and tell us all what the hell is going on.

I found out today that ig index treat us single traders as one big family,ie one big account, strange I know but apparently there is a good reason (to ig) for this, im not sure what it is maybe some of the forums older masters would know.

The All Hallow's Eve Pool Returns

The NFA is on the march. This week they announced that all Forex Dealer Members must meet the first capital benchmark of $10 million by October 31st:
National Futures Association | News Center

On July 17, 2008, NFA's Executive Committee recommended that NFA's Board of Directors approve revisions to NFA Financial Requirements Section 11 to implement the increased capital requirements called for under the Reauthorization Act. Under these revisions, Forex Dealer Members will be required to maintain adjusted net capital equal to or in excess of $10 million as of October 31, 2008, $15 million as of January 17, 2009, and $20 million as of May 16, 2009. NFA staff expects that the Board of Directors will adopt these revisions at its meeting on August 21, 2008 and that the Commission will approve them shortly thereafter. We are providing advanced notice of the increase in capital requirements to give Forex Dealer Members sufficient time to make arrangements to come into compliance.

In addition to the increase in the required minimum capital, the Executive Committee also recommended that the Board of Directors approve revisions to NFA Financial Requirements Section 12 regarding the collection of security deposits. Section 12(a) requires that Forex Dealer Members collect and maintain minimum security deposits of either 1% or 4% of the notional value of each forex transaction, depending on the currency. Section 12(b) provides an exemption from this requirement for those Members that consistently maintain at least twice the required adjusted net capital. The revised rule would provide that a Forex Dealer Member that consistently maintains 150% of the required adjusted net capital would be exempt from having to collect the prescribed security deposits. As with the capital requirements, NFA staff anticipates this revision also becoming effective on October 31.

How does you firm stack up?

The following firms have net capital below $10 million

Advanced Markets $5,017,000
Bacera $5,387,000
MG Financial $6,001,000
Forex Club $7,380,000
Hotspot $7,843,000
Friedberg Mercantile $8,167,000
CMC $8,426,000
Ikon $8,462,000
MB Trading $8,660,000
Easy Forex $8,662,000
IFX $9,141,000

In particular you will notice that three firms are far below the upcoming increase to $10 million. Advanced Markets, Bacera and Money Garden. In fact, they are struggling just to meet the current $5 million net capital requirement with Advanced Markets a scant $17,000 above the current law. That kind of capitalization does not inspire much confidence and traders really need to beware doing business with them.

The following firms have net capital below $20 million

GFS Forex $10,829,000
Alpari $11, 668,000
ODL $15,182,000
I Trade FX $15,828,000
FX Solutions $18,088,000
CMS Forex $19,306,000

The following firms have net capital above $20 million

PFG $20,275,000
Interbank FX $22,980,000
Gain Capital $44,293,000
GFT Forex $58,304,000
FXCM $70,794,000
Oanda $164,256,000

As always conduct your due diligence and make sure the firm you are trading with will be able to comply with the new law.

The NFA is on the march. This week they announced that all Forex Dealer Members must meet the first capital benchmark of $10 million by October 31st:
National Futures Association | News Center

How does you firm stack up?

Advanced Markets $5,017,000
Bacera $5,387,000
MG Financial $6,001,000
Forex Club $7,380,000
Hotspot $7,843,000
Friedberg Mercantile $8,167,000
CMC $8,426,000
Ikon $8,462,000
MB Trading $8,660,000
Easy Forex $8,662,000
IFX $9,141,000

In particular you will notice that three firms are far below the upcoming increase to $10 million. Advanced Markets, Bacera and Money Garden. In fact, they are struggling just to meet the current $5 million net capital requirement with Advanced Markets a scant $17,000 above the current law. That kind of capitalization does not inspire much confidence and traders really need to beware doing business with them.

GFS Forex $10,829,000
Alpari $11, 668,000
ODL $15,182,000
I Trade FX $15,828,000
FX Solutions $18,088,000
CMS Forex $19,306,000

PFG $20,275,000
Interbank FX $22,980,000
Gain Capital $44,293,000
GFT Forex $58,304,000
FXCM $70,794,000
Oanda $164,256,000

As always conduct your due diligence and make sure the firm you are trading with will be able to comply with the new law.
shouldn't they be more worried about unregulated brokers instead of increasing the capital requirement? :rolleyes:
they should be hunting and shutting down scams :eek:

June CFTC Net Capital Report

The CFTC has released its latest Adjusted Net Capital report. With less than three months to go before the NFA raises capital requirements to $10 million the Capital issue is once again front and center in retail forex. How does your firm stack up?
Financial Data for FCMs

Advanced Markets $5,054,000
Bacera $5,361,000
MG Financial $6,086,000
ACM $7,342,000
Hotspot $7,711,000
Friedberg Mercantile $8,189,000
Ikon $8,301,000
Forex Club $8,454,000
CMC $8,729,000
Easy Forex $9,478,000

No change in capital for Advanced Markets, Bacera and Money Garden who are still way below the upcoming cap increase. Also, for the first time ACM is reporting net capital and their first number out of the box isn’t that great. One suspects they had no idea cap requirements were going up and it could very well be they have completely mistimed their entry into the U.S. market. ACM appears to have brought a knife to a gun fight… Typical of a Swiss firm isn’t it?

GFS Forex $10,909,000
MB Trading $11,165,000
IFX $13,010,000
ODL $13,053,000
Alpari $13,084,000
I Trade FX $16,097,000
FX Solutions $17,974,000
CMS Forex $17,931,000
PFG $19,862,000

Interbank FX $30,364,000
Gain Capital $61,918,000
GFT Forex $67,298,000
FXCM $70,792,000
Oanda $165,526,000

As always conduct your due diligence and make sure the firm you are trading with will be able to comply with the new law going into effect in less than three months.

The Dark Regulator

With the Dark Knight breaking box office records around the world it looks like the CFTC is trying to cash in on the caped crusader’s popularity. In a recent press release announcing the formation of a “forex fraud” taskforce the CFTC stated, “This announcement sends a clear signal that the CFTC is on the beat, and that our continued and increased cooperation with law enforcement authorities will help put these forex dealers where they belong – in jail.”

CFTC Announces Formation of Retail Foreign Currency Fraud Enforcement Task Force

Ya I know many of you are chuckling to yourselves, in classic Joker style, “ha, ha, ha, and I thought my jokes were bad.” Forex fraud has been rampant the last couple years and like the hapless gang at the Gotham police department the regulators can never seem to get the bad guys who remain safely tucked away like “Lau” from the Dark Knight hiding out in his Hong Kong skyscraper. Only in the retail forex world the villains sip margaritas on the Turks and Caicos Islands or are busy forging $35 million ABN-Amro bonds in Switzerland.

But maybe there is finally hope here in Gotham. Perhaps the Dark Regulator can save us from the scammers and con-men who are a blight on our wonderful forex world. Let’s hope the CFTC’s new task force scheme works out and that they are able to drive these agents of chaos out of the retail forex market once and for all. But then again the Jokers of the retail forex world have never been intimidated by schemes have they?

Joker: Do I really look like a guy with a plan? You know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! You know, I just, do things. The mob has plans, the cops have plans, Gordon's got plans. You know, they're schemers. Schemers trying to control their worlds. I'm not a schemer. I try to show the schemers how, pathetic, their attempts to control things really are.

So to the folks at CFTC, please, make sure this latest scheme doesn’t draw the kind of ridicule the Joker loves to heap on law enforcement…

I Trade FX Takes the Stand

Last Friday I Trade FX’s response to the NFA regarding the complaint lodged against them was posted on the NFA’s website. Below are the details:
BASIC Case Summary

The Nine Lonely Whales
Right off the bat I Trade comes out swinging in their response, denying that they had only 9 accounts with balances of $50,000 or more and insisting they had “substantially more” such accounts. They did not, however, deny the NFA’s statement that they had only 3,000 active customer accounts in total. The number of large accounts is of course an important part of this case. If I Trade only had 9 large accounts than surely they would notice any large transactions taking place amongst any of them. The NFA’s entire case rests upon the charge that I Trade did not take any action to report the suspicious transactions that were happening with the Olint accounts, among others.

The Vetting of David Smith
I Trade FX then sticks in the knife with a great line in response to the NFA’s repeated references to David Smith acting as a Principal in the firm. “Respondents admit that David Smith was listed as a principle of I-Trade starting on March 27, 2007, but only after the NFA took six months to conduct its due diligence investigation of Smith prior to approving Smith as a principal of I-Trade…”

Ka-POW! I Trade is basically telling the NFA, “hey if this guy was so bad why the hell did you approve him to be a principal in the first place?” Gotta admire the moxie of I Trade as that takes some brass cajones to get up in NFA’s face like that.

However, I could not find any response from I Trade FX in regards to the NFA’s charge that David Smith funded I Trade FX with almost all its operating capital in 2007. So it appears that I Trade is conceding that their company was basically bankrolled by David Smith during his tenure as principal. That in my opinion is the real sin for I Trade FX, that their company was using an alleged con man’s money to inflate their net cap numbers throughout 2007.

David Smith’s Secret Bank Records
As you’ll recall in an interview conducted by Jamaican Radio David Smith claimed that he would have given NFA his bank records had he had the time to do so before changing his story and stating he couldn’t turn them over for “legal reasons.” I Trade FX states for the record that they simply did not have the legal authority to compel David Smith to provide NFA with the documents when they asked about them. So the question for David Smith remains “why would you not turn over your bank records? What legal authority was preventing you from doing this?”

The Guts of the Complaint
The main charge NFA is lodging in this complaint is that I Trade FX failed to notify authorities about suspicious activity going on in David Smith’s accounts, among others. Here is I Trade’s response regarding the Olint account activity:

“Respondents lack knowledge or information sufficient to form a belief as to the truth of the allegations contained in Paragraph No. 8. Respondents’ deny that I-Trade failed to file any Suspicious Activity Reports that should have been filed.”

Deny, deny, deny. In plain English it seems I Trade FX is telling NFA “we aren’t going to admit these transactions were suspicious and we don’t believe we failed to file any Suspicious Activity Reports.”

In another clever bit legal jujitsu I Trade FX bats down the charge that they didn’t respond to certain “Red Flags” with this answer:

Respondents admit that NFA’s 2002 Interpretative Notice identifies the items listed in Paragraph No. 11 above as “Red Flags” and state in the affirmative that NFA’s 2002 Interpretative Notice provides that those “red flags” may alert employees to suspicious activity … that could cause further investigation….” (Emphasis added).

Translation: this rule you passed was vague and doesn’t require a firm to do jack squat.

That may be the case but doesn’t common sense tell you to report this stuff? Ah but common sense has no place in an American courtroom! Gotta love lawyers…

The next several pages delve into the specific accounts in question with I Trade admitting some things, denying other things and refusing to comment on the rest. But I’m skipping over this because it appears to me most of this legalese is “he said, she said” type stuff that can’t be proven until this case goes to trial. Also, it hurts my head. There is a reason I chose not to go to law school…

But this caught my eye at the end:

Paragraph No. 28. Despite the highly suspicious activity in the Olint and TCI accounts and the Harris account, as alleged above, at no time did I-Trade file a SAR for any of these accounts contrary to the requirements of NFA Compliance Rule 2-9, the Notice, and I-Trade’s own AML Program.

ANSWER: Respondents are barred by federal regulations from disclosing to the subject of a SAR that a SAR had been filed against the customer, and because this Answer will be publicly disclosed by the NFA on its website, the Respondents respectfully decline to admit or deny the allegation in Paragraph 28, and are prevented from asserting affirmative statements in their defense, and respectfully suggest that NFA’s publication of its Complaint in this matter may have been in violation of the confidentially (sic) provisions of the applicable federal law.

Brilliant! I Trade FX is accusing NFA of possibly violating federal law! Again, I’m not a lawyer and I have no way of judging whether or not this is a legitimate line of defense, but once again I Trade is really taking it to NFA and from that perspective it does make for good entertainment. Could this be the reason NFA delayed posting I Trade FX’s answer? Well, if it is it appears their legal counsel rubbished this line of defense in the end by brazenly publishing the ANSWER last week.

So now what? Well, I think this case will probably be decided by events on the ground. There are still far too many questions surrounding Olint and David Smith. If the Feds can’t prove any financial wrong doing my guess is I Trade FX and NFA will settle the matter a few months from now. But if the Feds find some really nasty stuff on David Smith I can’t imagine NFA will give I Trade FX a slap on the wrist.

Lucky for I Trade FX they are not a public company or else their stock would be in the toilet. In the meantime, I am cautioning traders to take a wait and see attitude towards this besieged and embattled firm.

With the Dark Knight breaking box office records around the world it looks like the CFTC is trying to cash in on the caped crusader’s popularity. In a recent press release announcing the formation of a “forex fraud” taskforce the CFTC stated, “This announcement sends a clear signal that the CFTC is on the beat, and that our continued and increased cooperation with law enforcement authorities will help put these forex dealers where they belong – in jail.”

CFTC Announces Formation of Retail Foreign Currency Fraud Enforcement Task Force

Ya I know many of you are chuckling to yourselves, in classic Joker style, “ha, ha, ha, and I thought my jokes were bad.” Forex fraud has been rampant the last couple years and like the hapless gang at the Gotham police department the regulators can never seem to get the bad guys who remain safely tucked away like “Lau” from the Dark Knight hiding out in his Hong Kong skyscraper. Only in the retail forex world the villains sip margaritas on the Turks and Caicos Islands or are busy forging $35 million ABN-Amro bonds in Switzerland.

But maybe there is finally hope here in Gotham. Perhaps the Dark Regulator can save us from the scammers and con-men who are a blight on our wonderful forex world. Let’s hope the CFTC’s new task force scheme works out and that they are able to drive these agents of chaos out of the retail forex market once and for all. But then again the Jokers of the retail forex world have never been intimidated by schemes have they?

Joker: Do I really look like a guy with a plan? You know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! You know, I just, do things. The mob has plans, the cops have plans, Gordon's got plans. You know, they're schemers. Schemers trying to control their worlds. I'm not a schemer. I try to show the schemers how, pathetic, their attempts to control things really are.

So to the folks at CFTC, please, make sure this latest scheme doesn’t draw the kind of ridicule the Joker loves to heap on law enforcement…
that sounds like great news :cheesy:

Hi forex scholar,

What do you know about Forex Signs? I tried searching for info on them on the NFA website, but couldn't really find anything. Probably to stupid :eek: , although I'm not quite sure what to look for.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. :clap: I'm interested in their prop trading program.

Thanks in advance.

Hi forex scholar,

What do you know about Forex Signs? I tried searching for info on them on the NFA website, but couldn't really find anything. Probably to stupid :eek: , although I'm not quite sure what to look for.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. :clap: I'm interested in their prop trading program.

Thanks in advance.

this company i have not heard of. wehre are they based?

July CFTC Net Capital Report

The CFTC has released its latest Adjusted Net Capital report. With less than two months to go before the NFA raises capital requirements to $10 million the Capital issue is once again front and center in retail forex. How does you firm stack up?
Financial Data for FCMs

Bacera $5,448,000
MG Financial $5,545,000
Forex Club $6,709,000
Advanced Markets $6,874,000
Hotspot $7,573,000
Ikon $8,088,000
Friedberg Mercantile $8,176,000
ACM $8,395,000
Easy Forex $9,630,000

No change in capital for Bacera and Money Garden (although Advanced Markets saw a small uptick while Forex Club saw a small downtick.) Also, ACM is still reporting net capital below 10 million. One suspects they had no idea cap requirements were going up and it could very well be they have completely mistimed their entry into the U.S. market. ACM appears to have brought a knife to a gun fight… Typical of a Swiss firm isn’t it?

ODL $10,500,000
GFS Forex $11,296,000
MB Trading $12,201,000
Alpari $12,810,000
IFX $14,941,000
I Trade FX $16,214,000
CMS Forex $17,996,000
FX Solutions $18,887,000

PFG $21,695,000
Interbank FX $33,341,000
Gain Capital $67,077,000
GFT Forex $69,497,000
FXCM $78,503,000
Oanda $164,523,000

As always conduct your due diligence and make sure the firm you are trading with will be able to comply with the new law going into effect in less than two months.

Scholar you already know that MB Trading bought up EFX. I would say their handling of the EFX brand and the customers they inherited has been somewhat interesting. The EFX software (without warning) simply stopped functioning this week, there has been no update of any kind to the EFX site for months and only after several grillings of MB's support team (one of whom threw a hissy fit at me) did I establish that EFX (site included) would just vanish unceremoniously in the next few weeks.
EFX had established itself as one of the two easy-entry ECN options and it seems bizarre that MB would just throw that brand recognition value away. It makes me a little uncertain as to the strategic thinking and long term intention behind MB trading's FX presence.
It's no comfort then to see how close to the danger line their net capital is sitting in your list!

Scholar you already know that MB Trading bought up EFX. I would say their handling of the EFX brand and the customers they inherited has been somewhat interesting. The EFX software (without warning) simply stopped functioning this week, there has been no update of any kind to the EFX site for months and only after several grillings of MB's support team (one of whom threw a hissy fit at me) did I establish that EFX (site included) would just vanish unceremoniously in the next few weeks.
EFX had established itself as one of the two easy-entry ECN options and it seems bizarre that MB would just throw that brand recognition value away. It makes me a little uncertain as to the strategic thinking and long term intention behind MB trading's FX presence.
It's no comfort then to see how close to the danger line their net capital is sitting in your list!
and just when i was thinking doing business with EFX :rolleyes:

The CFTC has released its latest Adjusted Net Capital report. With less than two months to go before the NFA raises capital requirements to $10 million the Capital issue is once again front and center in retail forex. How does you firm stack up?
Financial Data for FCMs

Bacera $5,448,000
MG Financial $5,545,000
Forex Club $6,709,000
Advanced Markets $6,874,000
Hotspot $7,573,000
Ikon $8,088,000
Friedberg Mercantile $8,176,000
ACM $8,395,000
Easy Forex $9,630,000

No change in capital for Bacera and Money Garden (although Advanced Markets saw a small uptick while Forex Club saw a small downtick.) Also, ACM is still reporting net capital below 10 million. One suspects they had no idea cap requirements were going up and it could very well be they have completely mistimed their entry into the U.S. market. ACM appears to have brought a knife to a gun fight… Typical of a Swiss firm isn’t it?

ODL $10,500,000
GFS Forex $11,296,000
MB Trading $12,201,000
Alpari $12,810,000
IFX $14,941,000
I Trade FX $16,214,000
CMS Forex $17,996,000
FX Solutions $18,887,000

PFG $21,695,000
Interbank FX $33,341,000
Gain Capital $67,077,000
GFT Forex $69,497,000
FXCM $78,503,000
Oanda $164,523,000

As always conduct your due diligence and make sure the firm you are trading with will be able to comply with the new law going into effect in less than two months.
has anyone changed brokers yet?

excelatent tip, i'll keep an eye on this

Saxo Hits the Wall

Lot of news in retail forex the past few weeks. In the U.S. both CMC and Bacera are closing their doors. And in Europe mega forex broker Saxo Bank has run into some serious trouble.

Saxo is one of the largest firms in the currency trading world. Over the summer they spent millions of dollars sponsoring the eventual winner of the Tour De France. It now appears in hindsight that this money was woefully squandered. News reports out of Denmark are saying that Saxo has had to make hundreds of employees redundant amidst the global financial meltdown. Saxo has not come forward with details but it appears the situation is quite serious: Saxo Bank foran stor fyringsrunde

To make matters worse they have had to suspend a senior manager who was the prior head of Swiss broker Synthesis Bank.

The Copenhagen Post

Saxo suspend boss | Denmark's fastest growing bank and sponsor of Bjarne Riis' cycling team, on Thursday suspended one of its top executives Charles-Henri Sabet, head of global trading and member of senior executive management. The bank would not say specify the reason for the suspension, but it is currently launching an internal investigation in connection with the Swiss financial authorities, reports DR. Last year the financial institution bought the Swiss Synthesis Bank, founded and owned by Sabet, as part of its global expansion for online investments. (kr)

Oh boy, yet another Swiss broker finds itself under government scrutiny. How many times must I tell the trading public (and retail brokers themselves) beware Swiss forex brokers!

This news following on top of the news that CMC closed its U.S. office and itself has had to make employees redundant around the world would seem to indicate that firms that are involved in the CFD business are really catching a lot of fallout from the financial panic of 08’. Developing…