Next Steps?

manlymatt83

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, but wanted to make my first post in the options section.

I consider myself a beginner trader, even though I've been "investing" for about 10 years. I'm very fluent with terminology, but as far as practice goes, I'm always a bit rusty.

I was doing well with stocks up until the current economic meltdown. When things got tough, I began trading some leveraged ETF's, and read up on some techniques that helped me make some money there.

About a month ago, I decided to get into options trading. Since then, I've been conservative - reading a lot, writing some covered calls, etc. So far, the covered calls strategy has gone well. This week, I also bought some puts that were relatively cheap and were speculative because I have an "emotional feeling" the stock will go down.

I'm looking for next steps. I don't mind reading - I've read lots of threads on this forum tonight and I've been reading about options left and right: wikipedia, investopedia, here, other sites, etc. I have a good working knowledge of terminology (calls, puts, strike price, in the money, at the money, hedge, gamma, delta, etc.), but I'm not at this point sure where the next step is to grow my options EXPERIENCE.

Any suggestions would be great :) FYI, I use sharebuilder for options trading, so I can't short anything I don't already own. I can buy a call to open, buy a put to open, or write a covered call. So looking for strategies that can use these techniques (especially like this because otherwise, upside loss would be unrestricted!)

Thanks!

-Matt

intraday: Thanks for the reply. I usually don't trade on emotion, but this one was a risk I was willing to take.