Next Door neighbour - Worst trader ever?

It’s not just Apple products like the iPad and iPhone 4 that you can add some bling too. Why not have your Nintendo Wii gold plated and be the envy of all your friends. Just send in your game console to be embellished in 24ct.Gold as in the picture, 3 year quality given and certificate of authenticity from Laban Roomes and James Caan… UPS will pick up your game console and deliver it back gold plated within 3 - 5 working days once this service is purchased.
gold-plate-your-wii.jpg

Crazy people out there...

http://www.mediastorehouse.com/imag...-kings-thebes-egypt-north-africa-_1142503.jpg

If I had a lot of paper wealth and I wanted to keep it's value I would invest it in gold, land and properties, with a small % to stocks.

These are assets that keep there relative value and keep for a long time.

Paper money on the other hand? What's $1 worth now compared to the 1970s? 1900s? 1800s?

What's my point? China and other major current account surplus countries have a hell of a lot of $$ assets in the form of US Treasuries....

It has many uses. Key one being store of value. Also universal (earthly) acceptance.

Look back couple of thousand years or more and you'll know what gold is about.

Another perspective is that it is having the same breathing space it did along $640-700, $900-1000, $1200 and now $1400-1450. I suspect given the geopolitical uncertainties and governments responses we are just finding a new level in response. I have it as gold testing $1550-1600 next. Cusp of a new era and all that...

At $1380 levels buy and at $1450s sell. Until that is it breaks out of this range. Anything below $1380 is a sell.

Look at it another way... Who would sell gold until it goes back to $250-500 levels? Is this conceivable?

Who would buy gold at $2250-2500 levels? Is this conceivable?

Which of the two options do you feel is more likely to happen for what ever reason you can imagine?

Gold will test 1450-52 level. If it holds will continue rise.

Otherwise will continue with fall to 1380 regions.

Previous resistance becomes support.

I bought physical gold and silver, not because I expected them to increase in value for eternity, but as insurance against some sort of currency/economic collapse. I think some people, many people, will always see it as money.

A lot of governments certainly like gold, especially the Saudi's, what do you think they know that the general public don't?

In fact I hope the price does collapse, then I can buy some more. Does this make me naive?

I bought physical gold and silver, not because I expected them to increase in value for eternity, but as insurance against some sort of currency/economic collapse. I think some people, many people, will always see it as money.

A lot of governments certainly like gold, especially the Saudi's, what do you think they know that the general public don't?

In fact I hope the price does collapse, then I can buy some more. Does this make me naive?

No - it means you currently have more cash than gold...

Don't forget there is a cost to holding and storing gold.

I think the Chinese currency must inevitably rise sooner or later. Importing inflation and causing domestic bubbles is not good.

:-0

Completely disagree.

Do not confuse the market value of a property with the rental income produced.
The current market value of a property has no negative bearing on the income generated by the property. In fact it usually has an inverse relationship. Anyone who is reliant on the market value at any fixed time is not an investor but a speculator and to speculate on such a leveraged illiquid market is pretty nuts.

What I am saying is if you are buying property as an investment, look at the rental income first, with a view to hold for life (or at least mortgage term). If the value increases, great, think about pyramiding or taking profits. Again if pyramiding look at your next property as rental income for life, unless price increases to give you other opportunities.

if you're buying property as an investment; don't

property does not meet the economics definition of investment, it's a consumption good, buy it cos you need something over your head, and some warmth, and somehwere to store your slaves.

speculating on property is valid but a little silly lol

NZers have an obsession with property as an investment and all it means is that our capital markets don't get the liquidity they could potentially have and a lot of SMEs miss out. also the fact that most of the public think property is so amazing an investment means the Kiwisaver accounts aren't performing as well as they could

/Rant about property

back on topic

portfolio down to 2% :eek: at least she's at the age where money doesn't matter cos she has enough to sit by a pool and doesn't need to worry about food inflation reaching %500 because she'll be in the ground by then (no offence oldies...)

or she could be in denial... incidently denial isn't in spain it's in africa (that was lame)

i know, it's a reasonably old post but it piqued my interest

if you're buying property as an investment; don't

property does not meet the economics definition of investment, it's a consumption good, buy it cos you need something over your head, and some warmth, and somehwere to store your slaves.

speculating on property is valid but a little silly lol

NZers have an obsession with property as an investment and all it means is that our capital markets don't get the liquidity they could potentially have and a lot of SMEs miss out. also the fact that most of the public think property is so amazing an investment means the Kiwisaver accounts aren't performing as well as they could

/Rant about property

My bank account would have to disagree with you there. :rolleyes: