Newbie Question re Sectors and Industries

Beserker

Hi all,

New to trading, new to the forum. Thanks for taking time to look over my question.

I have a question re sectors and industries - hope this is the right place to ask this question.

I'm having trouble finding out what sector and industry a stock is actually in - I seem to be told something different from each site I visit.

I'll use a stock I've been following, LON:XAR to illustrate my example.

When I go on to Google Finance, where I have my portfolio, XAR is shown as being in the "Industrials" sector, and the "Industrial Machinery" industry.

When I go to ADVFN, XAR is in the "Technology Hardware and Equipment" Sector.

And then when I go to www.lse.co.uk, XAR is part of the "Electronic and Electrical Equipment" sector!

Even more confusing, each of these sites have different stocks in each of these sectors - it's not even as if they are just calling their sectors something different, buut they seem to be completely different animals.

Why am I having such a hard time trying to nail down which sector and industry a stock is in, and why does each site I look at have a different name for the sector?

Getting confused... Is there not a definitive catagorization of each stock and its sector/industry?

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated!