Newbie Question re Sectors and Industries

Beserker

7 0
Hi all,

New to trading, new to the forum. Thanks for taking time to look over my question.

I have a question re sectors and industries - hope this is the right place to ask this question.

I'm having trouble finding out what sector and industry a stock is actually in - I seem to be told something different from each site I visit.

I'll use a stock I've been following, LON:XAR to illustrate my example.

When I go on to Google Finance, where I have my portfolio, XAR is shown as being in the "Industrials" sector, and the "Industrial Machinery" industry.

When I go to ADVFN, XAR is in the "Technology Hardware and Equipment" Sector.

And then when I go to www.lse.co.uk, XAR is part of the "Electronic and Electrical Equipment" sector!

Even more confusing, each of these sites have different stocks in each of these sectors - it's not even as if they are just calling their sectors something different, buut they seem to be completely different animals.

Why am I having such a hard time trying to nail down which sector and industry a stock is in, and why does each site I look at have a different name for the sector?

Getting confused... Is there not a definitive catagorization of each stock and its sector/industry?

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock