New wave of viruses?

rossored

Anyone else seem to be getting loads of viruses sent them this morning? So far I have had about eight, half of which are supposedly from my own email address, others from various places around the globe.

Havent had any for over a month : Mailwasher is doing its usual effective job of keeping them away from PC and Inbox, but just curious as to if other members are seeing the same massive increase over the past 36 hours.

A new variation, sending a file that has the attachment ' your norton antivrus deleted1.txt' The body of the mail says " Your document is attached".
Is the attachment a virus? or is it just a nuisance bulk floood email?

About half and half I reckon, CM.

Some I recognise as being just tiny little .txt files, I've had a few bigger (60-70kb) ones today too.

Further investigation in my quarantine bin shows that the file coverts to a .pif file and the virus is W32Netsky.D@nm........

Yeah that sounds like the blighter, CM.

Anyway, just wondered if there was some reason I havent had any for donkeys, then deluged the past day or so.

Well, the thought had crossed my mind.

I've got something up for grabs on Ebay, and this guy from a .pl (Poland) address sent me a clean email which I replied to. Havent heard anything from him since, but the very next email I got (and the first of this "batch") was from another .pl website.

So, I figure, I've gone in his address book, he's on the address book of this other company and they've got a virus - which has gone to him, then come to me - where I've promptly bounced it right back to the other .pl company. Still, I've probably had my email circulated to about 10,000,000,000 other servers by now, so I can continue to look forward to this for the next two weeks or so...

I just checked M$ Critical Updates thinking I was up to date and found one for 11th May I haven't had.
Just a reminder to everyone to keep checking ;)

ChartMan said:
A new variation, sending a file that has the attachment ' your norton antivrus deleted1.txt' The body of the mail says " Your document is attached".
Is the attachment a virus? or is it just a nuisance bulk floood email?
I love this stuff (insert sarcasm here)
Why bother learning about network protocols, stack overflows, and server internals to hack into systems when you can send an e-mail saying "open me". It's just a different class of hacker these days. I blame the visual basic generation - probably don't even know what a stack is.

I've been getting a lot recently ... e-mail bodies like:

Protected message is attached.

++++ Attachment: No Virus found
++++ Norman AntiVirus -
[url="http://www.norman.com"]www.norman.com[/url]
As if i'm going to open it because it claims to have scanned itself.

Yep, I've been getting at least 5-10 of those emails a day (always either 40.5k or 41k in size) for the last few months.

I just take it as another example of how the web is deteriorating into a spammy selling medium which the average PC user hasn't a chance of avoiding.