Need help with backtesting

Fran8

Hi everyone¡¡¡¡

I will like to backtest a couple of very simple moving average strategies but I do not have the program and even if I had I have no clue how to do it.

Please if you are willing to help please send me a private message and I will explain.

Thanks
Kind Regards

Hi everyone¡¡¡¡

I will like to backtest a couple of very simple moving average strategies but I do not have the program and even if I had I have no clue how to do it.

Please if you are willing to help please send me a private message and I will explain.

Thanks
Kind Regards

What are you looking to trade?

I will like to test it in the SPY for stocks DJP for commodities and TLT for bonds

I will like to test it in the SPY for stocks DJP for commodities and TLT for bonds

I can probably help with SPY stocks but don't have the data for commodities and bonds.
What moving average pair are you looking at, or were you looking to optimise?
and what timeframe also?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to understand how to trade under moving average you should first have have to understand the importance of basic graph analysis.

I can test your ideas. I only have data going back a few months for 5 minute charts, but can go back a few years for daily.

Hi everyone¡¡¡¡

Thanks
Kind Regards

What exactly you want to test and on what time-frame. Most of simple testing could be done in Excel. It is difficult to get something out of just SMAs. There are periods when it works and when it does not. I would recommend including some volatility components into a strategy.

Backtesting

Hi Fran,

If you've not gotten anyone to help, I can. I have data for all markets, all time frames going back to beginning of the market.