Nearly 75,000 members !! Are you all traders ?

nkruger

Established member
When logging onto T2W every day, I always notice the amount of members there are registered to these boards. Nearly 75,000 !! Are all these people active traders ? Past traders ? Part-time traders ? Mere bystanders hoping to dip a toe in the water soon ?

What's your story ?

When logging onto T2W every day, I always notice the amount of members there are registered to these boards. Nearly 75,000 !! Are all these people active traders ? Past traders ? Part-time traders ? Mere bystanders hoping to dip a toe in the water soon ?

What's your story ?

I am a Part-time trader with aspirations of doing it full-time. I work shifts which enables me to trade the markets during my days off and sometimes before a night shift. I don't work in the finance industry, I am in a technical field.

What's your story ?

search the list of posters by number of posts and you'll see that the vast majority of people don't post anymore - or never did. You can't conclude that they no longer trade but I suspect it says something about the failure rate of traders.

UTB

PS - I trade part time until next March when (hopefully) my company will finally close and I'll (try and) go full time.

search the list of posters by number of posts and you'll see that the vast majority of people don't post anymore - or never did. You can't conclude that they no longer trade but I suspect it says something about the failure rate of traders.

UTB

PS - I trade part time until next March when (hopefully) my company will finally close and I'll (try and) go full time.

There are a few members that I remember from last year, but are no longer prevelant - Chartman springs to mind - do people get bored with posting after a couple of years and go and do somethng else ?

Good luck with your plans, mate. In the words of that shoe seller, JUST DO IT.... :LOL:

I would guess a lot of people, carried away with enthusiasm, sign-up and then realise there's more to this trading lark than they may have thought and quietly disappear. If that's the case then T2W is doing its job in saving wannabee traders from losing their dosh.

It's not surprising - to a complete novice it's a great lifestyle and how hard can it be? Last weekend I had two aquaintancies at different parties want to talk to me, quite seriously, about how to trade - thinking they could pick up what they needed to know over a few glasses of wine. In both cases the conversation went something like 'hey, sounds like you've got a pretty good life, working from home, for yourself. Been thinking of doing it myself you know - how shall I get started?' .

do people get bored with posting after a couple of years and go and do something else?
Yes. It does get quite dull seeing an endless cycle of newbies coming and asking the same questions, and after a while even the more interesting threads seem to get repeated. It hasn't happened to me since I don't post my trades up here, but I would imagine that if you were a successful trader with nothing to prove and trying to help a few people by sticking your trades and charts up, and certain eejits started knocking you, you'd probably give up doing it too, wouldn't you?

FWIW - three years into full time trading, having worked in the City previously.

There are a few members that I remember from last year, but are no longer prevelant - Chartman springs to mind - do people get bored with posting after a couple of years and go and do somethng else ?

Good luck with your plans, mate. In the words of that shoe seller, JUST DO IT.... :LOL:

(my emphasis added above)

from my experience, generally newbies come along and participate in anything that moves, posting on just about every thread, because there is so much to be interested in.
soon, once they settle down, and fix on one trading method they tend to concentrate on just a handful of threads, and post back and forth with equal interest, and helping newer newbies.
then, having settled into trading, and having become established, they stop re-posting anwers to another tranche of newbies, expecting them to use the "search" facility.
then they just post occasionally, reading and lurking, and the communications tend to be via PM to other traders who have mutual respect for abilities, experiences and helpfulness.
then, most posts tend to have no or little trading aspect, and just sharing interesting websites, or better brokers with better spreads, or better platforms.

PS: a similar thread has been done before. if you check the number of members that have "last visited" (ie, not even posted) since the beginning of the year, you get an idea of what proportion of the 75K are actively looking at T2W. doesnt mean they are not trading. (use the "search" facility :LOL: :LOL: )

good trading.

EDIT: DAMN! JoC beat me to it by 1 minute!

It's not surprising - to a complete novice it's a great lifestyle and how hard can it be? Last weekend I had two aquaintancies at different parties want to talk to me, quite seriously, about how to trade - thinking they could pick up what they needed to know over a few glasses of wine. In both cases the conversation went something like 'hey, sounds like you've got a pretty good life, working from home, for yourself. Been thinking of doing it myself you know - how shall I get started?' .

what? the next thing you'll be telling me is the tips in the sunday mirror are crap, and that I'll have to stick to the day job.

;)

UTB

what? the next thing you'll be telling me is the tips in the sunday mirror are crap, and that I'll have to stick to the day job.

;)

UTB

I thought the idea was to do the opposite to what the Sundays say :LOL:

My next door neighbour used to have a terrier called 'Scamp' Right little bugg3r, he was.....

Possibly underlines why so many don't make it. They get hung up on stuff which doesn't make any difference. And end up doing shift work.

True, you don't want to end up doing shift work, it plays havoc with your body clock. That's why you shouldn't pay too much attention to what 'The Degrees' writes.

What's your story ?

I am new here. Although I have been a member of Elitetrader since 2004. The nature of trading boards is always fairly fluid and dynamic I think.

I came to tw2 because I am based in London and doing some research on spreadbetting.

I don't post anymore ( this being the exception) as i had a seriouse and pertinent post on a betting broker censored and was told that if i didn't want to be censored i shouldn't write stuff that will be censored , obviousley he considered my predictive powers to be supreme , ( i wish that were so) as obviousley i don't know what and how he will censor me , the post contained nothing but a factual account of a particular business that takes a long time processing in particular winning bets , one which advertises heavily on here.

I don't post anymore ( this being the exception) as i had a seriouse and pertinent post on a betting broker censored and was told that if i didn't want to be censored i shouldn't write stuff that will be censored , obviousley he considered my predictive powers to be supreme , ( i wish that were so) as obviousley i don't know what and how he will censor me , the post contained nothing but a factual account of a particular business that takes a long time processing in particular winning bets , one which advertises heavily on here.

That's not fair is it ? There just seems to be no justice left in this world.:eek:

To be fair , I never said censorship was unfair , I just told it like it is, or like to.

Possibly underlines why so many don't make it. They get hung up on stuff which doesn't make any difference. And end up doing shift work.

LOL!

As far as membership goes I reckon there are around 200 real members and 35,000 fictional or multinicks and the rest just noise.

Only another 59 members needed before the magic 75k is hit...

Where are all the multi-knickers when you need them ? ;)