My trade closed and im not sure why?

neonboy95

Hello everyone, i literally began trading earlier this week and i have run into a little problem. I started off with an initial bankroll of $300, after a few days i got that up to $500 with some little trades (taking it steady) now i opened a trade on natural gas on Friday 25/08/2017 which i knew could be very volatile. When i opened the trade i was a little shocked with my starting position of -$125, after a few hours the position was automatically closed at a loss of $125!! i did have a stop loss set but it didn't go close to it nor did i run out of funds so can someone please explain to me why my trade got closed and why i lost all that sweet profit i worked hard for? thanks for reading..

What was the size of the position, the spread and what are the margin requirements? I suspect the issue may lie here, can you post a statement?

I'm sure someone here will be able to answer your question, but if I was in your situation, the first thing I'd do would be to contact the broker. They will have the definitive answer.

Hello everyone, i literally began trading earlier this week and i have run into a little problem. I started off with an initial bankroll of $300, after a few days i got that up to $500 with some little trades (taking it steady) now i opened a trade on natural gas on Friday 25/08/2017 which i knew could be very volatile. When i opened the trade i was a little shocked with my starting position of -$125, after a few hours the position was automatically closed at a loss of $125!! i did have a stop loss set but it didn't go close to it nor did i run out of funds so can someone please explain to me why my trade got closed and why i lost all that sweet profit i worked hard for? thanks for reading..

Is your account possibly running at a limited risk level if it's a new account etc.? Or maybe funds fell below minimum account requirement? It must of been closed out by your broker and that's the only reasons I can think of. As already mentioned you need to contact them asap.

Ok this is pretty much all the information i can gather now it is closed.

open time 25/08/2017 18:16
close date 25/08/2017 21:00
Asset: Natural gas
Direction: Buy
Deal amount: 5000
Open rate: 2908
Close rate: 2883
P&L = -$125

Like i said before, i had an initial bankroll of $500 before i opened this trade. As soon as i opened the trade it was at -$125 and it pretty much stayed at that, then out of nowhere i received a notification through the app on my phone saying that i had successfully closed the deal at a loss.

-$125 was the spread. Maybe the bet you placed was good only for one day. So it did not roll over to the next day.

I didn't even know that was a thing, it was open for less than 3 hours :O if that's the case and it was a "day trade" then I really messed up

I assumed it would just rollover, I feel like an idiot..

You won't know for sure until you speak to your broker. But, as EJ alluded to, some trades are time sensitive for example: binaries and options.

Is it possible that it will reopen on Sunday 22:00? When the markets open. I just don't understand why the trade actually closed, was just so random.

I think we first need to establish what type of trade it was and what type of broker you used to place the trade before we can draw any conclusions. Can you answer these questions?

I think we first need to establish what type of trade it was and what type of broker you used to place the trade before we can draw any conclusions. Can you answer these questions?

The fact that it closed bang on 9pm suggests it wasn't a rolling trade. I suspect the answer lies in instrument choice.

Just guessing, but $5 a point looks like way too high a stake size relative to account size.

It's most likely a margin issue. For market size at $/£5pp on an account of 500 leaves very little room. In this case about 25pts of room. Regardless of where the stop is, however this may have given you some margin relief and you got closed out at 9pm as the market has a last ditch attempt at price fluctuations and last minute settlements.
Counter violent is 100% correct. Way to much for such a small account.
Lee