My journey towards consistency

Just for the record...my second day wasn't much different from the first...

Many things to work on...

- my bias... always want to short the market regardless if it is up or down

- entries should be quick, if the move started, there is no point chasing, since the stop is tight...

- exits should be -5 or LESS...

Attachments

• 2015-03-27 19_23_26-.png
    2015-03-27 19_23_26-.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 136
Just for the record...my second day wasn't much different from the first...

Many things to work on...

- my bias... always want to short the market regardless if it is up or down

- entries should be quick, if the move started, there is no point chasing, since the stop is tight...

- exits should be -5 or LESS...

stats:

11 trades
3 winners +8.8
8 LOSSES -37.5

stats:

11 trades
3 winners +8.8
8 LOSSES -37.5

Morning gft32

I know whats its like when you have a few bad sessions and nothing goes right for you and you can see no light at the end of the tunnel - I know because both Major M had a really bad few weeks after going live and even going back to when I started scalping - my first year live was hardly that encouraging.

I can relate more to Major Magnum's learning curve because its all happened in the last year - whereas my learning curve lasted over 3 yrs before I got consistent after the first year of going full time approx 7 yrs ago.

MM had taken several weeks and months on demo before he was getting consistently over 60% win ratios. Before he went on to a live account - he was then flying - ie having consistent 75 -85% win ratios on batches of 100 trades and he must have been thinking - this will be easy - ie like having your own money printer to churn out as much money as you want.

He then went live on small stakes - and was still fine and progressing well.

Then the kick in the teeth - ie he got too confident - moved up the stake size quickly and of course had a few bad losses and his confidence was shattered as he saw all his gains being wiped out.

So he went back to demo for a bit to build up confidence - BUT - it did not work right away . He changed brokers and platforms and his previous great form went out the window. Suddenly he could not get his timings or his levels correct - the LR's setting were all out of sync and he was having 7 and 10 and even more consecutive losses.

Whilst this was going on - the FX markets were not being that kind and even I was struggling some days to make my daily targets . Major Magnum was on the point of thinking - I cannot do it - it will not work for me - my previous trading results must have been luck - etc etc .

Luckily - I was able to prove and explain to him - NO - your previous results were not fluke etc - but you still have not come out the continual learning curve - keep judging yourself on the on-going performances - get back live - keep stakes small and get to 2000 live trades. Even if you drop to just 50p a pip and lose £25 per day - stick with it etc.

We then sorted out his latest platform - got his timing back ( its probably better than mine now) built his confidence up and over the next few months he went from strength to strength.

During that time he took up his demo over 3000% in 10 days and was easily back up to 75% win ratios using stops under 5 pips.

When he went live on just £1 a pip level - he we easily putting on 25- 30% a day on his £1k live account ( on under 2% stake size ) - with anything from 20 to 40 trades.

He knows all the tricks now and if he has 3 consecutive losses - he will stop and chill out for 30 -60 mins and make sure his next scalp he makes a profit - even if ts just 1 pip rather than have a loss- so to break the sequence etc.

Touch wood - he will never martingale or compound to fast etc and he is using advanced time and money management to continually improve.

I think he his away on a holiday break next week and I should have asked him to sort out some of his past really bad performances before he left - just to show how far he has come.

He still is happy to post his live results on a his small live account etc - but maybe like me - when he is on a few large accounts and might get some special incentive deals - he will not want to share all his private and confidential info.

If you look at yesterday - which was not a full day for him -(i was up over 70 pips before he started I think ) - he still managed 18 trades - only had 2 small losses - so a 90% win ratio and over 120 pips net. His results are in the other thread and you can see some small pip wins - but also a few over 20 and 30 pips as well.

Before you can progress to that stage - we just need you to be able to scalp in both directions - understand PA and the so called "coalface" more - and then we can fine tune your entries via timing and improve your decision making so that you ignore many scalps that might only make you a few pips - but be ready for the larger moves.

You can do it - like 90% of all FX traders - but it does require commitment - focus - control over your mindset - lots of study and a positive out look that says - when I have a bad period - I just say - it will not beat me - there is a way forward.

You must be happy to accept losses. Nobody like them - but they will happen - in fact some of my best days I have had 4 or more small losses - but then 20+ great wins. Other times - I can have 8 wins in a row - but still not made my daily target - that's trading.

I suggest if you have time over the weekend - you check out the EU over latter part of the last week to see when you would have made a buy - not for just 5 pips - but buys that would have made you 10 - 30 + pips - you might be surprised how many there are.

Also start this week with checking out one other pair - like the UJ or the AU - so that you still remain focused on the EU - but you start to notice the movements of other pairs more.

All your trades can be done off a 1 min LR chart with the 9 LRs on it. For scalping - only have the chart showing last 1 hr or so - but for levels etc - zoom out to see last 6 -10 hrs .

I need to make sure your LRs are set up correctly and how you then see interim levels etc

I should be around most of next week - but then I am off for a bit in April - but I hope I can set you up before I go away. Its then up to you doing say 150 -200 + trades over April on demo - ideally in both directions with say at least 80% on the EU and then the rest on another FX pair that as a low spread and moves nicely - such as UJ or AU / NU.

The idea is that your losses will never be over 7 pips maximum and most are pulled by minus 2 to 4 pips. Your wins should be over 5 pips - only accept 2 -4 pips if you have to bail - and than 30% of your wins are over 10 and 15 pips.

So say on 10 trades - accept 3 or 4 losses maximum - so minus 12 to 20 on average

7 wins - say 3 at 4 pips - 2 at 8 pips and 2 at 14 pips - making 56 pips minus your losses - ending up between 36 and 46 pips on every 10 trades

Currently MM is on with 10 trades about 8 pips of losses and 100+ pips of wins - yes that high - because he is also pyramiding and peeling - but that's maybe 3 -6 + months away still

See you Monday sometime

Regards

F

Hi F,

Thanks for your help and support... I'll reply inline your post in different colours...

Morning gft32

I know whats its like when you have a few bad sessions and nothing goes right for you and you can see no light at the end of the tunnel - I know because both Major M had a really bad few weeks after going live and even going back to when I started scalping - my first year live was hardly that encouraging.

I can relate more to Major Magnum's learning curve because its all happened in the last year - whereas my learning curve lasted over 3 yrs before I got consistent after the first year of going full time approx 7 yrs ago.

MM had taken several weeks and months on demo before he was getting consistently over 60% win ratios. Before he went on to a live account - he was then flying - ie having consistent 75 -85% win ratios on batches of 100 trades and he must have been thinking - this will be easy - ie like having your own money printer to churn out as much money as you want.

He then went live on small stakes - and was still fine and progressing well.

Then the kick in the teeth - ie he got too confident - moved up the stake size quickly and of course had a few bad losses and his confidence was shattered as he saw all his gains being wiped out.

So he went back to demo for a bit to build up confidence - BUT - it did not work right away . He changed brokers and platforms and his previous great form went out the window. Suddenly he could not get his timings or his levels correct - the LR's setting were all out of sync and he was having 7 and 10 and even more consecutive losses.

Whilst this was going on - the FX markets were not being that kind and even I was struggling some days to make my daily targets . Major Magnum was on the point of thinking - I cannot do it - it will not work for me - my previous trading results must have been luck - etc etc .

Luckily - I was able to prove and explain to him - NO - your previous results were not fluke etc - but you still have not come out the continual learning curve - keep judging yourself on the on-going performances - get back live - keep stakes small and get to 2000 live trades. Even if you drop to just 50p a pip and lose £25 per day - stick with it etc.

We then sorted out his latest platform - got his timing back ( its probably better than mine now) built his confidence up and over the next few months he went from strength to strength.

During that time he took up his demo over 3000% in 10 days and was easily back up to 75% win ratios using stops under 5 pips.

When he went live on just £1 a pip level - he we easily putting on 25- 30% a day on his £1k live account ( on under 2% stake size ) - with anything from 20 to 40 trades.

He knows all the tricks now and if he has 3 consecutive losses - he will stop and chill out for 30 -60 mins and make sure his next scalp he makes a profit - even if ts just 1 pip rather than have a loss- so to break the sequence etc.

Are there any thing else that's not been discussed publicly?

Touch wood - he will never martingale or compound to fast etc and he is using advanced time and money management to continually improve.

what are these rules?

I think he his away on a holiday break next week and I should have asked him to sort out some of his past really bad performances before he left - just to show how far he has come.

He still is happy to post his live results on a his small live account etc - but maybe like me - when he is on a few large accounts and might get some special incentive deals - he will not want to share all his private and confidential info.

If you look at yesterday - which was not a full day for him -(i was up over 70 pips before he started I think ) - he still managed 18 trades - only had 2 small losses - so a 90% win ratio and over 120 pips net. His results are in the other thread and you can see some small pip wins - but also a few over 20 and 30 pips as well.

Before you can progress to that stage - we just need you to be able to scalp in both directions - understand PA and the so called "coalface" more - and then we can fine tune your entries via timing and improve your decision making so that you ignore many scalps that might only make you a few pips - but be ready for the larger moves.

When you say understand PA more, do you mean more screen time or more trades?

You can do it - like 90% of all FX traders - but it does require commitment - focus - control over your mindset - lots of study and a positive out look that says - when I have a bad period - I just say - it will not beat me - there is a way forward.

I find myself losing focus while watching 1 min chart for long time, longer than few minutes so I try not to look at the same chart more than few minutes. IS THIS NORMAL?

You must be happy to accept losses. Nobody like them - but they will happen - in fact some of my best days I have had 4 or more small losses - but then 20+ great wins. Other times - I can have 8 wins in a row - but still not made my daily target - that's trading.

I suggest if you have time over the weekend - you check out the EU over latter part of the last week to see when you would have made a buy - not for just 5 pips - but buys that would have made you 10 - 30 + pips - you might be surprised how many there are.

I'm looking at the charts now, but it is really easy AFTER the fact.

Also start this week with checking out one other pair - like the UJ or the AU - so that you still remain focused on the EU - but you start to notice the movements of other pairs more.

Will do, was thinking of the GU tbh

All your trades can be done off a 1 min LR chart with the 9 LRs on it. For scalping - only have the chart showing last 1 hr or so - but for levels etc - zoom out to see last 6 -10 hrs .

Can I ask why 9 and not 6? Since the o[/COLthree are for longer time frame.. threeOR]

I need to make sure your LRs are set up correctly and how you then see interim levels etc

I'm using fxpro, same settings you highlighted in the other thread EXCEPT yesterday you asked me to change the first two to be 9/10 and 12-14. HOW TO TELL IF MY SETTINGS ARE CORRECT AND WHEN DO YOU ADJUST?

I should be around most of next week - but then I am off for a bit in April - but I hope I can set you up before I go away. Its then up to you doing say 150 -200 + trades over April on demo - ideally in both directions with say at least 80% on the EU and then the rest on another FX pair that as a low spread and moves nicely - such as UJ or AU / NU.

DO YOU WANT TO SEE MY SETTINGS /BROKER? I APPRECIATE IF YOU CAN HELP ME TO BE SETUP CORRECTLY BEFORE YOU GO.

The idea is that your losses will never be over 7 pips maximum and most are pulled by minus 2 to 4 pips. Your wins should be over 5 pips - only accept 2 -4 pips if you have to bail - and than 30% of your wins are over 10 and 15 pips.

So say on 10 trades - accept 3 or 4 losses maximum - so minus 12 to 20 on average

7 wins - say 3 at 4 pips - 2 at 8 pips and 2 at 14 pips - making 56 pips minus your losses - ending up between 36 and 46 pips on every 10 trades

Currently I'm the other way around, I'll try hard to reverse my % before you come back

Currently MM is on with 10 trades about 8 pips of losses and 100+ pips of wins - yes that high - because he is also pyramiding and peeling - but that's maybe 3 -6 + months away still

MM is doing great I believe, I wish him all the best, maybe one day I'll be one of your students who proves, yes it's for real

See you Monday sometime

Regards

F

My story in a nutshell...

Back in 2008, had some money laying around, didn't know anything about investing /trading so decided to buy physical gold worth of 20k..in one day it was up 21k...wow 1k in one day... I panicked didn't know what to do so I sold it for 1k profit.

Days went by till 2012 where I decided to do it again.. Surely 1k a day is nice... The day I bought it, it went south.. First day 200 loss, no problem it will come back.. Started to think about getting my money back more than making profit. Didn't happen and I sold it in 2013 for 6k loss.

Wife wasn't happy so were I, was desperate and felt down, did some research and found some info about isa shares. So I called my bank and opened account. I had no clue which stock to buy... I managed to create a portfolio of few stock... The profit started to come day after day... BUT it was small enough to look somewhere else.

Once I was on a non trading forum and a member mentioned macd to buy stocks.. That's it, I found it... Did more research and found this forum, then other trading forum where I got hooked to trading futures...

Opened futures account with 5k, lost 800 after some weeks, so stopped and did more research...

Found a newsletter with good reviews.. OK let's follow when to buy/sell another 1k.

Stopped and started looking at backtesting, this time I was sure if I do mechanical trading, I'll get away of my problems.

Bought a system even it was verified on c2 I lost 7k of 70k account. 10% lost in Oct. 2013

That was it... Took all the money and bought a house...

Back to square one now.

Only who lost their real hard earned money will know how I felt and how I feel now...

F, I am amazed how generous you are with your time in sharing for the benefit of others. Thanks a bunch!

Hi OG

No problem - I had various help on my initial journey and to be frank - the free tips helped me a lot more than all the courses/ books and DVD's I paid for.

I will be fully retired in the next 3 years and atm I have a lot of time on my hands compared to the 50 -70+hrs per week I was committed to when I was making it in the business world. I don't particularly like the Banking and commercial FX Industry - even though its done me well over the last 6 -7 yrs and therefore want to help genuine retail FX traders who are prepared to put the work in to make it - all free of charge.

To be honest - so far I have had a great life and everything I have been involved with has made me good money and given me a very nice lifestyle. I reckon if I had not been lucky to have so much time on my hands to support my initial 3 years of study and commitment to FX trading - I would have just failed - like 75-85% of all other traders.

Nowadays - my actual trading takes less than 3-4 hrs a day - spread maybe over a 8 -10 hour session. For 30 yrs I have been used to working 9 -12 hr days - including the odd weekends - so even though I am not as fit as I was 20 yrs ago - I don't find it a big daily chore.

I would be delighted if another 5 or even 50+ traders can take over from Major Magnum and go on to be successful and very profitable intraday FX traders - at least I would feel I have given something back and helped others - similar to the help I have of many other people during my business life. Maybe then when I have retired I can write a book about it - whilst spending 6 months a year sailing around the Med ( I hope ;-) )

Good Trading

Regards

F

AND I am not in this short, I have been burnt today trying to sell at every top and the one that I decided not to take worked... adding more frustration...

Happened to me many times and I think it happend to many as well, there is psychological reason behind that, we miss the entry in the strong direction and we want compensate the frustration going in the opposite direction at a little signal which result only in traps.....now days I want to see some decent interest in my direction before the trade is taken, something like a break of major trendline or simple a strong pull back before a test of the recent high.....

RE - gftrader32 - questions

Are there any thing else that's not been discussed publicly?

Yes.

I taught Major M about 80% of my methods etc openly on this forum.

As he progressed - he started to ask more inquisitive questions - proving to me he was starting to understand more. I would answer with suggestions for him to do more homework on. He would then come back and say - yes I understand now - or no - can you explain a bit more.

I think by now MM knows maybe 95% of what I know - but remember experience only comes over time - so it maybe another year or more before he knows even more - that might help him in certain changing circumstances. Even this last week he asked me more questions that shows he has developed further

what are these rules?

The rules on time mangement and more advanced money money management are explained in the other 2 threads - ie Intraday consistent profits and the devil in the detail thread. They are a few stages along the way - first get the win ratios up and have just profitable days - then we can look at making 100 -200 pips a day plus safely.

When you say understand PA more, do you mean more screen time or more trades?

I dont know how well you read Price Action on a 1 min plain chart. Are you familiar with HH's and HL's and the other way round - LH's and LL's and can you spot ABC or 123 patterns and H & S etc easily and know what it all means etc

Candle stick knowledge helps along with my 30 min time rules on interim highs and lows

Are you aware horizontal or static S & R levels are stronger than dynamic TL levels etc etc

Have you watched a live 1 or 5 min chart solidly for over 2 hrs - its boring and like watching paint dry - but its all part of the learning process. The more hours at the coalface - the more information you take in - and as you know knowledge is power.

For example - an experienced FI racing driver might need 10 or 20 laps on a new circuit to get all his braking points lined up and accurate to within 5 ft. A less experience racing driver might need 25 laps and still be a lot slower and a normal road driver might need 50 or 100 laps to be even at 6/10th of what the racing driver can do.

Skill improvements take time and in FX intraday trading - weeks and months not just a few hours and 2 days.

I find myself losing focus while watching 1 min chart for long time, longer than few minutes so I try not to look at the same chart more than few minutes. IS THIS NORMAL?

I'm looking at the charts now, but it is really easy AFTER the fact.

I have linked these 2 question together.

Yes the second one is correct - its always easy in hindsight. But learn from hindsight and realise on the EU most days there are always 3 or more good opportunties to take new trades in different directions and still make over 15 or 20 pips.

With regards to the looking at the 1 min chart for more than a few mins at a time - I follow and babysit every new scalp until I take my first or all profit off. That might last just 1 min or even 20 mins - but I am watching it every half pip of a move - fully focused and in the zone .

Until you can learn this skill - and it is tiring and boring for a start - it explains why you are having problems atm

When I have part stakes and stops in profit - I can then relax more sometimes only checking every 30 or 60 mins if I am well in profit.

Will answer the other questions either later on this evening or in the morning

Regards

F

Have you watched a live 1 or 5 min chart solidly for over 2 hrs - its boring and like watching paint dry - but its all part of the learning process. The more hours at the coalface - the more information you take in - and as you know knowledge is power.

With regards to the looking at the 1 min chart for more than a few mins at a time - I follow and babysit every new scalp until I take my first or all profit off. That might last just 1 min or even 20 mins - but I am watching it every half pip of a move - fully focused and in the zone .

Until you can learn this skill - and it is tiring and boring for a start - it explains why you are having problems atm

important point here, no i never managed to watch 1 min chart for 2 hours continuously... will allocate some sessions just for this ...

Todo list for the coming week:

More screen time - continously

Scalp both directions - focus on buy scalps

Increase winning % - THIS IS THE MOST CHALLENGING ONE. It includes not chasing, exit early, locking profits.

Looking at other pairs...

Will do, was thinking of the GU tbh

I chose the GU as my second FX pair originally - its a bit more volatile than the EU and can be a nicer mover than EU - BUT - the spread is normally another half to one pip more than AU and UJ.

I think you know you need the EU and also to master it - but maybe over next month whilst you focus 80% of the time and effort on the EU - try and get a few hours watching also the AU / GU / UJ and then see if one "grabs" or suits you better than the other 2.

At one time I felt the UJ and AU were both 2 slow - and prefer the EJ and GU - but that's because I have already mastered the EU and prefer a bit more volatility and larger quick bounces or retarces - but when you are learning - you may want to scalp the slower mover with the tightest spreads.

Normally the AU and GU should be in sync with the EU - when the dollar is strong or weaker - whereas the UJ normally should be negatively correlated to the EU

I'm using fxpro, same settings you highlighted in the other thread EXCEPT yesterday you asked me to change the first two to be 9/10 and 12-14. HOW TO TELL IF MY SETTINGS ARE CORRECT AND WHEN DO YOU ADJUST?

First point - even using the same broker platform - you can have slightly different set ups and I found out with MM that some times he had exactly the same LR setting as me - but his LR was very slightly different to mine .

Also ideally you set the LR settings to your own specification - ie do you want really quick entries - then lower the settings of the first 4.

If you prefer more emphasis on the mid intraday range of say 12 -35 pips then your mid range settings from 70 to 270 / 300 are the most important.

What might suit me - might not be ideal for MM and yourself - but after you have studied and watched the 1 min charts with the 9 LRs on - ie 3 quick for scalping - 3 medium for mid range 12 -25 pip moves and 3 longer LR setting for the session bias and possible 25 -100 + pip moves - play around to ensure you feel you are able to read the move - before it happens - ideally 1 to 3 mins on scalping etc

Remember LRs are only part of the system - the reading of interim S & R levels and PA and of course time windows and key times then make up say 85% of it assisted by trendlines and correlations and levels of other pairs.

Thats why my method / system is not easy - its complex and difficult to use initially - but over time - it just gives you fantastic results - as being shown over the last 6 months by MM

Also remember - my method works in any conditions - trending markets / tight ranges / breakouts etc - in fact what ever trick the markets pull - it should still work - simply because the market will always move more than 5 pips in any direction.

DO YOU WANT TO SEE MY SETTINGS /BROKER? I APPRECIATE IF YOU CAN HELP ME TO BE SETUP CORRECTLY BEFORE YOU GO.

I just need to see your set up on say any 2 pairs over a key period on your chart ( post them here ) - ie from say 7 am to 9 30 am and then from 2pm to 5 pm UK time and i will compare to my set up and tell you if some need adjusting or not.

Currently I'm the other way around, I'll try hard to reverse my % before you come back
MM is doing great I believe, I wish him all the best, maybe one day I'll be one of your students who proves, yes it's for real

You will do - but it might take you 50 -100 trades or so to get into the zone more.

I have no problem helping you over this year - at your pace - step by step - I enjoy other traders experiencing those "eureka " moments when they realise that there is a proper way to make consistent monies in FX - it's not for everyone - it takes a lot of study and dedication - but it makes a mockery of all the rubbish put out by the industry etc etc

Regards

F

Thanks F, I'll post a screen tomorrow showing my setup to compare it with yours.

I think I need to focus first on my winning %, I'll focus on all factors, tw lrs key levels and PA.

My ultimate goal is to be consistent day in day out. Trading higher time frame wouldn't give me that simply because not enough opportunities. Even if there's, higher time frame needs large account like six figures or so which I don't have.

That leaves me with one option only that is lower time frames.

I keep hearing lower time frame is for bots and algos and one cannot make it for longer run simply because of psychological constrains. My believe is the opposite and the only way to find out is to try it.

Morning gft32

Out at dentist for 10 10 am but back later after 10 45 am ( I hope ;- ) )

Perfect EU scalp buy at 8 51 am and 0821 / 23 area

see my comments on other thread and also check it out and then look why if you had been around you would not have bought it ?

Will be interesting to see why you are so reluctant to buy the EU at any level ??

Regards

F

Morning gft32

Out at dentist for 10 10 am but back later after 10 45 am ( I hope ;- ) )

Perfect EU scalp buy at 8 51 am and 0821 / 23 area

see my comments on other thread and also check it out and then look why if you had been around you would not have bought it ?

Will be interesting to see why you are so reluctant to buy the EU at any level ??

Regards

F

Hi F,

I saw your comments, and I agree it was perfect scalp buy..

I was tempted to short it 9 19 at 849... I didn't

When the price came back at 9 32 am, I shorted it...

I am not sure why I am not buying.... FROM NOW ON. ONLY SCALP BUYS FOR 50 TRADES. I need to sort out this. So I will look to buy if the criteria are met, and will look at other pairs as well.