my journal

Status
Not open for further replies.
You sound far too depressed Travis; isn't there anything you could do that would be exciting? Just like go travelling and doss about for a while after a bit of system trading... ;) Or whatever you enjoy doing; I've always thought that society's life was a bit boring, all saving money to work and then going home to a small plot of land to watch TV - Do something cool mate :) Go save some prostitutes in India.

As I was reading your suggestions, I misread many words, which could indicate more to the fact that I was too obsessed with trading:

travelling = trading
doss = loss
plot = pot

The only thing I didn't misread was "prostitutes", and on this one we agree. The first reason I am trying to make money is to give it to prostitutes. Besides, Travis in Taxi Driver had the mission to save prostitutes, so I may follow in his footsteps after all.

From now on, let's keep it like this in here, and talk about anything but trading.

Yeah; Just avoid the murder rampage... Its annoying when all i hear on the English BBC is about muders in America.

Good journal. I enjoy stories about people achieving success, and there's a real sense that you're on the cusp of it here. After all, money is already pouring through the door from your bots. Everything is in place except for the final piece, which is to limit this compulsion to trade/gamble.

If I may make an observation... The discretionary trading and delaying going to bed might share a common cause - craving mental stimulation. Hope you've got something interesting to keep you occupied while you go cold turkey.

Best of luck.

Good journal. I enjoy stories about people achieving success, and there's a real sense that you're on the cusp of it here. After all, money is already pouring through the door from your bots. Everything is in place except for the final piece, which is to limit this compulsion to trade/gamble.

If I may make an observation... The discretionary trading and delaying going to bed might share a common cause - craving mental stimulation. Hope you've got something interesting to keep you occupied while you go cold turkey.

Best of luck.

Very short and yet very deep post. Whether you read all my posts or just a few of them, it seems that you've figured out a lot about me.

"Craving mental stimulation" or being "obsessive-compulsive" or "workaholic", I don't know how to describe it. Certainly close to being unable to relax. Also, flipping channels continuously while watching tv... we are all complex. I wish I could have spectrum of personalities, but not just 16 types, more like 200, and we could all say "I am personality number X", so we wouldn't be writing pages every time to describe how we feel and how we are. Forums then would be empty (and reasonably so): everyone would write a post saying "I am personality X". But then, if we had 200 personalities, we would not stay on one specific spot of the spectrum, but probably move around, say from 169 to 179, or even move all the way to 69. Anyway, I don't have time to be a scientist about this as well.

Here's an update on how I'm feeling and what I am doing:

Spent yesterday and today (on top of all work done during the whole month of September, in the previous weekends) creating, testing and fixing another 13 systems, and doing the same to improve reliability of 7 old systems. Overall, I will have 37 systems now. This will mean, most likely, about 10 trades per day guaranteed. Most likely it will mean a "machine" that guarantees all positive weeks (I almost get that already with 24 systems). I am not exaggerating or joking. It is a money-making machine, and I created it. Not that I am trying to sell anything - by now it's clear obviously. What I am getting at is this:

With all the trades being made by this "machine":
I hope I won't feel the need to interfere (looking for more action)
I hope I won't feel the need to make more money
I hope I won't even think I'll be able to interfere successfully

I'll just have to let it run. Here I am, with this great tool in my hands, and yet I have very little capital because every month, for every 1000 dollars that the system makes, I first help it by making another 500 by engaging in discretionary trading, and then proceed - via discretionary - to losing the 500 made, plus the 1000 made by the system. I've been getting to 500% several times in the past two years, and going back to zero each time, including this last accident that happened a couple of days ago.

There's no talking or writing that will help me. It's not a question of understanding your addiction. You'll never understand it enough to quit effortlessly.

Actually spending time to talk about and explain your addiction may be just a way of postponing the act of quitting. I remember that more than once I went on a forum writing about what a jerk I was for losing money with discretionary trading again and at the same time I had a discretionary trade open which was supposed to be my "last trade", my last "Hail Mary" trade, to get back what the market owed me, and then I would quit. The problem is that even when the market returned to me what it had "stolen" (in my mind), that would keep me going a few trades longer, enough to return everything I had made plus more. If you lose, you'll keep going out of vengeance. If you win, you'll keep going out of greed. In either case you will keep going until you blow out your account.

And that it has pretty much happened I am forced to quit, but I am left with a feeling that the market owes me something, and not to me as an automated trader, but to me as a discretionary trader. So, with the little capital left, possibly, the system will bring me up to a decent capital again, and then, as it has been the case so far, I will feel that I can get my money back with discretionary trading, because that's how it stole it from me. Or maybe it's not against the market that I am fighting but against myself: I want to prove to myself that I can do it. I want to "not give up". It may all come down to the two meanings of quitting (positive vs negative). On the one hand I rationally know that I may have an addiction and that I need to "quit" that addiction. On the other hand I feel the urge to overcome my limits by finally becoming profitable with discretionary trading, and in that sense I don't want to "quit" the race (to overcome my limits). With smoking it's different because no one remotely thinks that he's overcoming his limits by smoking and learning how to smoke. Or maybe smoking makes them feel free, to act however they want regardless of consequences. Maybe quitting smoking is close to quitting your freedom to do whatever you want, and that's why they can't do it.

Overall, I don't have the mind fit to trade - the past showed it repeatedly. The question is do I want to make money, or do I want to just learn discretionary trading or die trying? In a few months I'll know the answer. But wait - who knows? Maybe I'll be ok for a year, and I'll relapse in 3 years or so. One thing is sure: I never solved anything regarding this problem by talking about it on forums, and I've been doing it for years. But then again I've never even seen myself as a "gambling addict" until a few days ago. So maybe talking and writing and reading has made improve somewhat.

Maybe all these years I have been nothing but a compulsive gambler, a sick person - I never saw it this way until now. A compulsive gambler who has been working on trading systems (also in a compulsive way, which in this case pays off) and this may save me in the end - it may make me profitable. But nonetheless a part of me has been sick, irrational, delusional. I think it's quite striking that a person can do both things at once. Half of the time he's a rational, patient, self-taught programmer, who reads hundreds of pages of an excel manual, tests hundreds of systems, spends thousands of hours working on the creation and automation of his trading systems. The other half of the time, he looks at the trading platform, and, whatever his state of mind (bored, frustrated, happy), sees opportunities for trades that usually work out, but that when they don't work out blow out his account. Half of the time rational. The other half, he still tries discretionary trading, after losing money every month, for 12 full years, ever since he started - blowing out his (small) account an average of 3 times per year. I have been these two persons. I certainly would like stop being the sick one, and would like to spend all my time and money as an automated trader.

Maybe I could go as far as saying that my sickness is not as rare among traders. I would even say that all discretionary traders who go on losing for over 2 years are showing some form of sickness, as if they caught a disease or so. The healthy ones would stop trading with real money sooner and would start paper trading. But the healthiest ones would be the ones who don't start trading real money until paper trading proves they are profitable.

Last edited:
Very short and yet very deep post. Whether you read all my posts or just a few of them, it seems that you've figured out a lot about me.

"Craving mental stimulation" or being "obsessive-compulsive" or "workaholic", I don't know how to describe it. Certainly close to being unable to relax. Also, flipping channels continuously while watching tv... we are all complex. I wish I could have spectrum of personalities, but not just 16 types, more like 200, and we could all say "I am personality number X", so we wouldn't be writing pages every time to describe how we feel and how we are. Forums then would be empty (and reasonably so): everyone would write a post saying "I am personality X". But then, if we had 200 personalities, we would not stay on one specific spot of the spectrum, but probably move around, say from 169 to 179, or even move all the way to 69. Anyway, I don't have time to be a scientist about this as well.

Here's an update on how I'm feeling and what I am doing:

Spent yesterday and today (on top of all work done during the whole month of September, in the previous weekends) creating, testing and fixing another 13 systems, and doing the same to improve reliability of 7 old systems. Overall, I will have 37 systems now. This will mean, most likely, about 10 trades per day guaranteed. Most likely it will mean a "machine" that guarantees all positive weeks (I almost get that already with 24 systems). I am not exaggerating or joking. It is a money-making machine, and I created it. Not that I am trying to sell anything - by now it's clear obviously. What I am getting at is this:

With all the trades being made by this "machine":
I hope I won't feel the need to interfere (looking for more action)
I hope I won't feel the need to make more money
I hope I won't even think I'll be able to interfere successfully

I'll just have to let it run. Here I am, with this great tool in my hands, and yet I have very little capital because every month, for every 1000 dollars that the system makes, I first help it by making another 500 by engaging in discretionary trading, and then proceed - via discretionary - to losing the 500 made, plus the 1000 made by the system. I've been getting to 500% several times in the past two years, and going back to zero each time, including this last accident that happened a couple of days ago.

There's no talking or writing that will help me. It's not a question of understanding your addiction. You'll never understand it enough to quit effortlessly.
How old are you Travis? Just be interesting to put some of the things you've said into the context of your situation regarding your age.
For example; I'm talking about excercise to you, but i'm 18... And maybe if you're like 60, its totally irrelevant (although you should still regularly walk)

Well, 18?! Congratulations. Very mature and wise for an 18 year old. I am more or less in my 30s. I wouldn't want to... to give too many details about myself. (I've already been saying even too much).

As good as it gets

"I like swimming. One day I'd like to go live by the sea"

which F..ckin day ?

"Trading Biography
I have the narcissistic personality disorder (and obsessive-compulsive: I get addicted to any activity such as writing on forums, playing a game, talking to a given person, watching movies, working, etc.): perfectionist, intolerant, big ego, "control freak". I don't get along with bosses, co-workers, roommates, groups (unless I choose what to do). I don't get along with the markets, and I tried in vain to "control" them, too, for 12 years."

no not at all .............

woz just trying to give you a little boost Travis :)

put them programes of yours to work and make it happen

all the best

Andy

Attachments

• as good as it gets.jpg
    as good as it gets.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 609
  • st-lucia-beach-scene.jpg
    st-lucia-beach-scene.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Oh, ok - I thought so. Well, if it ever happens, I'll keep you updated. I will make a donation to the forum, too. They could name a button in my honour, if I donate a million or so (like they do on universities).

I think I know what my problem is: after a life of failures, the idea of a big success makes me shake, and act irrationally. Instead of being patient and letting it happen, I go all over the place with anxiety and I end up doing something that prevents success from happening. It's as if I was dirt poor and I won the lottery. Not everyone might be able to enjoy what he wins and not let it get to his head, and ruin it. I still maintain that it's not an issue of self-sabotage. I don't fight success. It just makes me so excited that I jump all over the place and end up doing something that prevents it - like not staying calm.

Well, 18?! Congratulations. Very mature and wise for an 18 year old. I am more or less in my 30s. I wouldn't want to... to give too many details about myself. (I've already been saying even too much).
You live in America and everyone (majority) is from UK here so its really nothing to worry about mate.

In that case, you should definately be working out and getting really buff if you aren't already ;)
x

Oh, ok - I thought so. Well, if it ever happens, I'll keep you updated. I will make a donation to the forum, too. They could name a button in my honour, if I donate a million or so (like they do on universities).

I think I know what my problem is: after a life of failures, the idea of a big success makes me shake, and act irrationally. Instead of being patient and letting it happen, I go all over the place with anxiety and I end up doing something that prevents success from happening. It's as if I was dirt poor and I won the lottery. Not everyone might be able to enjoy what he wins and not let it get to his head, and ruin it. I still maintain that it's not an issue of self-sabotage. I don't fight success. It just makes me so excited that I jump all over the place and end up doing something that prevents it - like not staying calm.
Like the possibility of success makes you act in a way as to make sure that you get the reward; however this excitement and energy may be good for catching food in ye' olde days; in trading... We can't let success or winners change our objectivity of the market.

Good luck Travis;
I'm coming to America soon :) Any recommendations of where i should check out?

Thanks for your encouragement and advice (to you and to all others).

By the way, I am sorry to have mislead you somehow, but I only chose where I am from based on the fact that I like the States, that Travis (the protagonist of Taxi Driver, my favorite movie) is from the States, and that I lived there for a few years. But I am actually from Italy and in Italy right now.

You told me in a pm that you were from Italy in your opening posts but, perhaps, others may not have known because of the US flag.

Here I am again. I just connected my hands to my brain, for the enjoyment of everyone. Here is Travis, compulsive gambler and yet compulsive worker who created profitable systems but doesn't use them because he compulsively interferes with them.

Let's look it up, this adjective that describes me so well:
Compulsive Definition | Definition of Compulsive at Dictionary.com
...2. Psychology. a. pertaining to, characterized by, or involving compulsion: a compulsive desire to cry.

Compulsion Definition | Definition of Compulsion at Dictionary.com
3. Psychology. a strong, usually irresistible impulse to perform an act, esp. one that is irrational or contrary to one's will.

Then maybe it's not compulsive, but rather obsessive, because my hard work on systems is neither irrational nor contrary to my will. My trading is compulsive, but the adjective that applies to both is obsessive.

Obsession Definition | Definition of Obsession at Dictionary.com
1. Compulsive preoccupation with a fixed idea or an unwanted feeling or emotion, often accompanied by symptoms of anxiety.
2. A compulsive, often unreasonable idea or emotion.

and, later:
Cultural Dictionary
obsession
A preoccupation with a feeling or idea. In psychology, an obsession is similar to a compulsion.

Ok, so all this work to find out they are almost the same thing. I am two people, and they both obsess, and actually all my life I have been obsessive about everything. That's why my girlfriend, right when she was trying to break up with me, gave me a book entitled "obsessive love". Obviously she had another personality disorder: 100% borderline. We fought, even physically, until she left. All other girlfriends were dependent (another personality disorder), and left me as well - but probably I made them leave me, because they made me feel tired and burdened with responsibility. Then, once they left me, I swore eternal love to them (but sometimes they came back, and, all of a sudden, I wasn't interested anymore). The only ones who didn't leave me were the healthy ones: I broke up with them.

I spent my whole life focusing on one single obsession at a time. The girlfriends are my favorite obsessions, but when they aren't available or aren't available full time, I completely ignore them and find myself another object to obsess with. I've been surprised to see that some girlfriends wanted to keep in touch with me afterwards, and I said to them "no way, you're either with me or I never want to talk to you again". And again I was surprised to see that they got offended. To me being in touch with them if I can't have them completely it's pointless.

Here's more on my obsessing. Phone calls. I don't just stay for 20 minutes. I stay on the phone with the same person and every day for up to 3 hours (usually a woman). Sooner or later someone gets tired of this, and surprisingly, it's usually me, despite the fact that I do all the talking and calling. I get tired and tell the other person that she is addictive (yeah, pretty crazy) and that I need to take a break - because I easily get addicted to people who listen to me, but I can't afford to waste too much time on this addiction either. Smoking. I am a chain-smoker, but then I don't get addicted to it. I smoke 10 sigarettes in a row, then I throw away the rest and never smoke again for 2 months. Drinking. Well, that's the same for almost everyone, but basically I only drink in order to get drunk. I either get drunk or for me there's no point in drinking. Eating. I can skip dinner, or I can eat dinner twice. Swimming. I can't just swim moderately, just like for everything else. I have to go on for hours, usually at least 4, but sometimes 7 - always trying to beat some previous records in time or distance. I've never done it as a sport, or in competition, I am pretty much self-taught. Maybe I swim like ****. This is to say that I am not showing off my swimming. But I am saying it just to say that I obsessed about it as well. Movies. I had to watch movies all day long, at the library. Even in college, sometimes I failed a whole semester or two, and was spending my whole day in the AV room to watch movies, one after the other. Sometimes watching the same movie 30 or 40 times (days apart). Especially, I've watched over and over again Taxi Driver, The Godfather, Being There, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. Writing. Thousands of pages of hand-written journals. Reading. I spent a whole year, at around 15, finishing one book every 3 days. I read 100 books that year, and then I never read another full book in my life. Juggling. Not that I became a pro... or anything, but one night, I decided that, instead of studying for an exam, I would teach myself how to juggle 3 balls - without having any knowledge or having read any manuals about it. I stayed up all night, and after 8 hours, I could juggle non-stop. Then I kept doing it all summer. Then I lost interest in it. Web design. That's another thing, I taught myself, just like that. Obsessively. I decided that I would do it, and I've done it. Then it became my job for 2 years, but then I lost interest in it. Oh, and then foreign languages: when I was learning English, I would get up in the middle of the night to look up words in the dictionary...

All these things I learned seem a great accomplishment that I achieved thanks to my sickness - to my obsessing about things. After all I learned, I wonder whether "obsessive" shouldn't actually be meant as a compliment.

But then again I didn't get any social recognition for what I achieved. In the meanwhile I got poor grades. I don't like school at all, nor courses, nor manuals, because I don't like to be given the answers before I ask the questions. Even worse, in school they force you to memorize the answer, when you didn't even ask the question.

Also, always obsessing, being a workaholic, doesn't allow you to relax and to enjoy anything. I am not happy. I feel like I am just a machine, doomed to work all his life.

And even now, when I could rest and enjoy the fruits of my work, I can't enjoy them because, being so restless and needing to do something all the time, I can't allow myself to stay calm. I can't allow myself to be idle, because all my life I've seen it as a bad thing. And maybe, unconsciously, I can't accept to make money without working. I've done all this work, to make money without working, and now I can't accept it, because it's too easy and I am uncomfortable not being busy.

Or maybe none of this is true. Because I know how good I can be at convincing myself of things that are not true, just because I explain them so well. This is not math. The end result may sound good and be wrong. There's no way to tell if a reasonable reasoning leads to the right conclusion. So maybe none of this is true, and I will get used to doing nothing, making money, being relaxed and being happy.

But then again, I think of those lottery winners that win a lot of money and either waste all of it in a few years, or similar things. Look at the case of Jesse Livermore. He had qualities. He was good at picking the right trades. But no money management. He was looking to fail. He was definitely compulsive, and addicted to trading as well. When, in 1929, he had a 100 million dollars, or even sooner, why didn't he increasingly diversify? How did he manage to go bankrupt with 100 million dollars in cash?

These are just brainstorming thoughts written randomly... I don't mean to make any points. Just thinking and wondering. I may change my mind in a few minutes, as usual.

----

All my pushing myself so hard (obsessively) and in every activity must have something to do with the fact that my father all my life told me I had to be the best, because I was better than everyone else, and that I couldn't settle for an average performance. He's done just the same for his own life. And he's never relaxed or enjoyed anything that he achieved, because that would've meant taking time and energy away from future achievement. In my family, we never celebrated any birthdays, because it's seen as a superficial thing. Only recently he's starting to ask me "how are you?", and it feels quite uncomfortable, even though he's making an effort to be nice. Oh, because I also have to mention that he's been mean to me my whole life, because I never achieved the perfection he expected of me. So I've gotten nothing but criticism from him, and I resent him very much. But he certainly taught me to appreciate precision. And now as a consequence all I see around myself is imprecision, stupidity, superficiality - everything he has taught me to despise.

Last edited:
Thanks for your encouragement and advice (to you and to all others).

By the way, I am sorry to have mislead you somehow, but I only chose where I am from based on the fact that I like the States, that Travis (the protagonist of Taxi Driver, my favorite movie) is from the States, and that I lived there for a few years. But I am actually from Italy and in Italy right now.
Ha Classic! Thats really funny because i'm actually going to Italy too; I'm stalking you.

I'm on a gap year and visiting loads of countries, too many really :) Train/Cycle round Europe :) Then flying around the world, should be fun.

Here I am again. I just connected my hands to my brain, for the enjoyment of everyone. Here is Travis, compulsive gambler and yet compulsive worker who created profitable systems but doesn't use them because he compulsively interferes with them.

Let's look it up, this adjective that describes me so well:
Compulsive Definition | Definition of Compulsive at Dictionary.com

Compulsion Definition | Definition of Compulsion at Dictionary.com

Then maybe it's not compulsive, but rather obsessive, because my hard work on systems is neither irrational nor contrary to my will. My trading is compulsive, but the adjective that applies to both is obsessive.

Obsession Definition | Definition of Obsession at Dictionary.com

and, later:

Ok, so all this work to find out they are almost the same thing. I am two people, and they both obsess, and actually all my life I have been obsessive about everything. That's why my girlfriend, right when she was trying to break up with me, gave me a book entitled "obsessive love". Obviously she had another personality disorder: 100% borderline. We fought, even physically, until she left. All other girlfriends were dependent (another personality disorder), and left me as well - but probably I made them leave me, because they made me feel tired and burdened with responsibility. Then, once they left me, I swore eternal love to them (but sometimes they came back, and, all of a sudden, I wasn't interested anymore). The only ones who didn't leave me were the healthy ones: I broke up with them.

I spent my whole life focusing on one single obsession at a time. The girlfriends are my favorite obsessions, but when they aren't available or aren't available full time, I completely ignore them and find myself another object to obsess with. I've been surprised to see that some girlfriends wanted to keep in touch with me afterwards, and I said to them "no way, you're either with me or I never want to talk to you again". And again I was surprised to see that they got offended. To me being in touch with them if I can't have them completely it's pointless.

Here's more on my obsessing. Phone calls. I don't just stay for 20 minutes. I stay on the phone with the same person and every day for up to 3 hours (usually a woman). Sooner or later someone gets tired of this, and surprisingly, it's usually me, despite the fact that I do all the talking and calling. I get tired and tell the other person that she is addictive (yeah, pretty crazy) and that I need to take a break - because I easily get addicted to people who listen to me, but I can't afford to waste too much time on this addiction either. Smoking. I am a chain-smoker, but then I don't get addicted to it. I smoke 10 sigarettes in a row, then I throw away the rest and never smoke again for 2 months. Drinking. Well, that's the same for almost everyone, but basically I only drink in order to get drunk. I either get drunk or for me there's no point in drinking. Eating. I can skip dinner, or I can eat dinner twice. Swimming. I can't just swim moderately, just like for everything else. I have to go on for hours, usually at least 4, but sometimes 7 - always trying to beat some previous records in time or distance. I've never done it as a sport, or in competition, I am pretty much self-taught. Maybe I swim like ****. This is to say that I am not showing off my swimming. But I am saying it just to say that I obsessed about it as well. Movies. I had to watch movies all day long, at the library. Even in college, sometimes I failed a whole semester or two, and was spending my whole day in the AV room to watch movies, one after the other. Sometimes watching the same movie 30 or 40 times (days apart). Especially, I've watched over and over again Taxi Driver, The Godfather, Being There, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. Writing. Thousands of pages of hand-written journals. Reading. I spent a whole year, at around 15, finishing one book every 3 days. I read 100 books that year, and then I never read another full book in my life. Juggling. Not that I became a pro... or anything, but one night, I decided that, instead of studying for an exam, I would teach myself how to juggle 3 balls - without having any knowledge or having read any manuals about it. I stayed up all night, and after 8 hours, I could juggle non-stop. Then I kept doing it all summer. Then I lost interest in it. Web design. That's another thing, I taught myself, just like that. Obsessively. I decided that I would do it, and I've done it. Then it became my job for 2 years, but then I lost interest in it. Oh, and then foreign languages: when I was learning English, I would get up in the middle of the night to look up words in the dictionary...

All these things I learned seem a great accomplishment that I achieved thanks to my sickness - to my obsessing about things. After all I learned, I wonder whether "obsessive" shouldn't actually be meant as a compliment.

But then again I didn't get any social recognition for what I achieved. In the meanwhile I got poor grades. I don't like school at all, nor courses, nor manuals, because I don't like to be given the answers before I ask the questions. Even worse, in school they force you to memorize the answer, when you didn't even ask the question.

Also, always obsessing, being a workaholic, doesn't allow you to relax and to enjoy anything. I am not happy. I feel like I am just a machine, doomed to work all his life.

And even now, when I could rest and enjoy the fruits of my work, I can't enjoy them because, being so restless and needing to do something all the time, I can't allow myself to stay calm. I can't allow myself to be idle, because all my life I've seen it as a bad thing. And maybe, unconsciously, I can't accept to make money without working. I've done all this work, to make money without working, and now I can't accept it, because it's too easy and I am uncomfortable not being busy.

Or maybe none of this is true. Because I know how good I can be at convincing myself of things that are not true, just because I explain them so well. This is not math. The end result may sound good and be wrong. There's no way to tell if a reasonable reasoning leads to the right conclusion. So maybe none of this is true, and I will get used to doing nothing, making money, being relaxed and being happy.

But then again, I think of those lottery winners that win a lot of money and either waste all of it in a few years, or similar things. Look at the case of Jesse Livermore. He had qualities. He was good at picking the right trades. But no money management. He was looking to fail. He was definitely compulsive, and addicted to trading as well. When, in 1929, he had a 100 million dollars, or even sooner, why didn't he increasingly diversify? How did he manage to go bankrupt with 100 million dollars in cash?

These are just brainstorming thoughts written randomly... I don't mean to make any points. Just thinking and wondering. I may change my mind in a few minutes, as usual.

----

All my pushing myself so hard (obsessively) and in every activity must have something to do with the fact that my father all my life told me I had to be the best, because I was better than everyone else, and that I couldn't settle for an average performance. He's done just the same for his own life. And he's never relaxed or enjoyed anything that he achieved, because that would've meant taking time and energy away from future achievement. In my family, we never celebrated any birthdays, because it's seen as a superficial thing. Only recently he's starting to ask me "how are you?", and it feels quite uncomfortable, even though he's making an effort to be nice. Oh, because I also have to mention that he's been mean to me my whole life, because I never achieved the perfection he expected of me. So I've gotten nothing but criticism from him, and I resent him very much. But he certainly taught me to appreciate precision. And now as a consequence all I see around myself is imprecision, stupidity, superficiality - everything he has taught me to despise.
You should go see a psychologist/therapist; Just for fun, i think you'd enjoy it;

Maybe you'd get something out of it also because
- They will listen to you
- Analysis you without you having to use all your mental powers which is exhaustive
- Hyponosis can change your behaviour

:) 'X'

Last edited:
interesting journal

at the end of the day, with these sorts of problems, no one can help you really. you can only help yourself. you either will or you won't, kind of like quitting smoking i suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.