My FX Journal - 80% Fundamental 20% Technical

Didn't have time to post today but took at trade in EURNZD off the back of euro being somewhat supported and had no tier 1 data coming out.

The news on ransquawk that provided the opportunity for a trade was uncertainty on central bank reforms. This was the in the EU session open article this morning which I managed to read at 6:30am on the bus on my way to the office.

Entry 1.69578 targeted just shy of a previous high at 1.7039 for a profit.

Good trade on your EURNZD pick.

I saw the news on Forexlive after I got home but that was like 6 hours after the news broke. I think the bearish sentiment is a mixture of central bank reforms and the prospect of foreign purchases of local properties being banned.

Good trade on your EURNZD pick.

I saw the news on Forexlive after I got home but that was like 6 hours after the news broke. I think the bearish sentiment is a mixture of central bank reforms and the prospect of foreign purchases of local properties being banned.

They have been struggling with property prices for a while, its a global epidemic with hot spots. I bought my house for 535k which was bought by the previous owner for 350k 5 years ago.

Any plans on how you might trade the UK GDP number later today? I haven't worked out a plan yet. USD sentiments currently wedged between the prospect of Taylor pick and rumor of 3 Senate Republican hold out over the tax bill.

I need to first clear the Australian CPI due out in 2 and a half hours.

Any plans on how you might trade the UK GDP number later today? I haven't worked out a plan yet. USD sentiments currently wedged between the prospect of Taylor pick and rumor of 3 Senate Republican hold out over the tax bill.

I need to first clear the Australian CPI due out in 2 and a half hours.
Sterling is a difficult one at the moment. With trade talks lurching behind a blackmail bill and the EU beginning to loosen their hardline, it's in no man's land. If Gdp is worse than expected we could get a few pips out of EURGBP. My focus today will be Cad with policy and oil data later today. I just don't feel like there is a lot of interest in sterling. There are hardly any institutional positions according to cot data http://www.cotbase.com/

Sterling is a difficult one at the moment. With trade talks lurching behind a blackmail bill and the EU beginning to loosen their hardline, it's in no man's land. If Gdp is worse than expected we could get a few pips out of EURGBP. My focus today will be Cad with policy and oil data later today. I just don't feel like there is a lot of interest in sterling. There are hardly any institutional positions according to cot data http://www.cotbase.com/

I am actually on the same page as you. The prospect of a deviation on GDP is slim. I will watch the release and see what it might bring but I don't think there will be any surprises.

I agree the opportunity will be with BOC later in the day or night in my case i.e. 1 am. I am reluctant to stay up for that. OIS data suggest that the probability of a hike in November is 18 % given what happened with retail sales last Friday. Should it be a surprise it would be a 200 - 400 pips move. The nugget will be in their statement and I am not good at interpreting changes in key words. Your Ransquawk will come in handy.

I am actually on the same page as you. The prospect of a deviation on GDP is slim. I will watch the release and see what it might bring but I don't think there will be any surprises.

I agree the opportunity will be with BOC later in the day or night in my case i.e. 1 am. I am reluctant to stay up for that. OIS data suggest that the probability of a hike in November is 18 % given what happened with retail sales last Friday. Should it be a surprise it would be a 200 - 400 pips move. The nugget will be in their statement and I am not good at interpreting changes in key words. Your Ransquawk will come in handy.
I have a preliminary order to long AUDCAD. HSBC have a long on it and when that popped up on ransquawk I wondered what was the reasoning behind it. Long story short I did a bit of homework and discovered NK export 1.6 million tons of coal to China and UN sanctions have now bitten and China now need to fill that gap. 17 percent of Australia's exports are coal and they are right on their doorstep. Further to that I also found the AU government sold a coal mine 2 years ago for 1 million thinking its not really worth it and now it's worth 750 million. Canada data has been progressively worse recently so any dovish tone from that statement could trigger this swing trade. If sentiment is positive on another currency I might also take one there selling Cad against it.

I have a preliminary order to long AUDCAD. HSBC have a long on it and when that popped up on ransquawk I wondered what was the reasoning behind it. Long story short I did a bit of homework and discovered NK export 1.6 million tons of coal to China and UN sanctions have now bitten and China now need to fill that gap. 17 percent of Australia's exports are coal and they are right on their doorstep. Further to that I also found the AU government sold a coal mine 2 years ago for 1 million thinking its not really worth it and now it's worth 750 million. Canada data has been progressively worse recently so any dovish tone from that statement could trigger this swing trade. If sentiment is positive on another currency I might also take one there selling Cad against it.

I don't understand the trade rationale to long AUD/CAD for the BOC event. If the BOC statement is somewhat dovish, then I would long USDCAD as currently USD is well supported. Conversely if the BOC statement is somewhat hawkish then I would sell AUDCAD as currently the sentiment on the AUD is negative due to the CPI numbers today.

I don't understand the trade rationale to long AUD/CAD for the BOC event. If the BOC statement is somewhat dovish, then I would long USDCAD as currently USD is well supported. Conversely if the BOC statement is somewhat hawkish then I would sell AUDCAD as currently the sentiment on the AUD is negative due to the CPI numbers today.

Sorry it has nothing to do with the BOC event although there is a potential for the event to line up.

My rational:

My observations of data points is that any individual release doesn't change central bank policy and only serves as a sentiment driver. Inflation data globally has been soft although picking up. out of the last 65 q/q CPI stamps for AU, 52% of them have had higher expectations than the release and 91% have missed (including above and below expectations). Out of the last 44 trimmed q/q CPI 40% of them had higher expectations than the release and 75% have missed(including above and below) - I am a bit of a nutcase when it comes to details like this, it helps me solidify my judgement. With a great deal of the data points coming out of line with expectations to me is a property of an imperfect estimation methodology so there is a great deal of margin of error.

Looking at the AU CPI data q/q, previous stamp was 0.2 and today it is 0.6 which is positive. Trimmed CPI has been bouncing between 0.4 and 0.5 since July 2016 so it is range bound but more importantly not getting any worse.

China is a critical piece of AU's economy and they have been ticking up in various areas of the economy so their demand for raw materials is growing and this is confirmed by the most recent BOA policy statements and the price of ore like copper and coal. All this to me puts the BOA on hold with a slightly hawkish tone.

Moving onto Canada, exports have been weakening, Inflation weakening, business confidence is worse than earlier in the year, inventories picking up while retail sales worsening, building permits and starts worsening, worsening trade balance, foreign investment worsening. There also seems to be market chatter to the tune of BOC potentially hiking too soon and now going into a hold pattern until data improves. I don't expect a hike today and I will be looking for anything negative in the minutes that were not present in the last statement.

So in summary I see greater risks to the downside for CAD than I do AUD and looking to capture a reassertion of AUD fundamentals and a softening of the current CPI sentiment. I am hoping the BOC minutes will be the catalyst and my order is set for a breakout of this range so if it doesn't trigger then its not in issue.

Sorry it has nothing to do with the BOC event although there is a potential for the event to line up.

My rational:

My observations of data points is that any individual release doesn't change central bank policy and only serves as a sentiment driver. Inflation data globally has been soft although picking up. out of the last 65 q/q CPI stamps for AU, 52% of them have had higher expectations than the release and 91% have missed (including above and below expectations). Out of the last 44 trimmed q/q CPI 40% of them had higher expectations than the release and 75% have missed(including above and below) - I am a bit of a nutcase when it comes to details like this, it helps me solidify my judgement. With a great deal of the data points coming out of line with expectations to me is a property of an imperfect estimation methodology so there is a great deal of margin of error.

Looking at the AU CPI data q/q, previous stamp was 0.2 and today it is 0.6 which is positive. Trimmed CPI has been bouncing between 0.4 and 0.5 since July 2016 so it is range bound but more importantly not getting any worse.

China is a critical piece of AU's economy and they have been ticking up in various areas of the economy so their demand for raw materials is growing and this is confirmed by the most recent BOA policy statements and the price of ore like copper and coal. All this to me puts the BOA on hold with a slightly hawkish tone.

Moving onto Canada, exports have been weakening, Inflation weakening, business confidence is worse than earlier in the year, inventories picking up while retail sales worsening, building permits and starts worsening, worsening trade balance, foreign investment worsening. There also seems to be market chatter to the tune of BOC potentially hiking too soon and now going into a hold pattern until data improves. I don't expect a hike today and I will be looking for anything negative in the minutes that were not present in the last statement.

So in summary I see greater risks to the downside for CAD than I do AUD and looking to capture a reassertion of AUD fundamentals and a softening of the current CPI sentiment. I am hoping the BOC minutes will be the catalyst and my order is set for a breakout of this range so if it doesn't trigger then its not in issue.

NAB take on the relative stage of economic growth between Canada and Australia.

Rate hike and implications on AUDCAD_12092017.gif

Trade on USDZAR

Ransquawk announcement: South African treasury says total borrowing requirement over the next 3 years to rise to 1TRN Rand. They are on the brink of another downgrade and this will seal the deal in that regard.

entry 13.78199 target 13.85371

Trade on USDZAR

Ransquawk announcement: South African treasury says total borrowing requirement over the next 3 years to rise to 1TRN Rand. They are on the brink of another downgrade and this will seal the deal in that regard.

entry 13.78199 target 13.85371

target hit

I missed a nice trade on GBPAUD post GDP but to be fair i wasn't all too interested in it which really isn't great since the sentiment opportunity was right there for the taking.

I missed a nice trade on GBPAUD post GDP but to be fair i wasn't all too interested in it which really isn't great since the sentiment opportunity was right there for the taking.

With the market anything can happen. A supposedly non event turned out to be far from it. I guess just go with the flow. Picked up 36 pips on the GBPUSD and 50 pips on the GBPJPY. The market reaction is far more than the GDP print in my view. Reuters is suggesting that November hike is back on the agenda.

Canada policy decision analysis from Ransquawk

There are several key points supporting the argument that rates will be kept on hold: -
1) The 50bps of cuts implemented in 2015 have now been unwound, and the Bank now needs time to assess the impact of
its recent hikes and the impact of a stronger CAD
2) NAFTA risks appear to be rising
3) New macroprudential measures are due to be implemented on housing in January 2018
4) An apparent moderation in economic data
5) More measured BoC rhetoric in recent public addresses

Market pricing of an October hike has eased alongside the above developments, now pricing around a 25% chance of further
tightening at the upcoming decision.
The paring back of expectations roughly coincides with a speech made by BoC Deputy Governor Timothy Lane on 18th
September, in which he underscored the importance of the Canadian economy’s sensitivity to the recent tightening and a stronger
CAD.

Taken a 16 pip scalp on AUDSUD @ 0.7702 which is a great profit taking level for EU session trades on sentiment. It tried to break the level and failed, tried again after USD data and failed.

long USDCAD @1.27378 on statement with more of a cautionary tone towards future hikes. USA data printed better than expected durable goods and a smasher housing print. Looking to target short of the prev swing low at 1.28499 or sooner depending on where the trade is later in the day (sentiment trade that will dominate the session)

long USDCAD @1.27378 on statement with more of a cautionary tone towards future hikes. USA data printed better than expected durable goods and a smasher housing print. Looking to target short of the prev swing low at 1.28499 or sooner depending on where the trade is later in the day (sentiment trade that will dominate the session)
Decided to take 28 pips profit and look to getting back in on a retrace

With the BOC statement, the probability of a rate hike this year is less than 30 % according to the overnight index swaps market.

With the BOC statement, the probability of a rate hike this year is less than 30 % according to the overnight index swaps market.
Are you getting that data from eikon or somewhere else? I really need to get back onto that terminal. Ransquawk is brilliant but there are bits like this and economic releases (txt faster than squawk but squawk better at analysis and commentary). I see they discontinued my favourite econ screen which was noticeably faster than the economy tracker replacement.

Anyway it is definitely looking slim at the moment for Cad hike. Price is holding steady and I am looking to get back in on a retrace for another run at the high.

You have any thoughts on the ecb tomorrow? I will be looking at any dovish tone that kicks a rate hike ball further down the road. There was a comment today from the ecb about them extending the tapering at the same amount with the usual keeping it open until further notice theme.

In other news i see North Korea have again threatened an above Pacific nuke test stating its going to happen. That's going to be a huge risk off event and I am probably going to split a trade between yen and swissy just in case yen underperforms due to its location to NK

Account is growing, some way to go still until I can pump the account with more capital but seems to be headed in the right direction.