Multi-Screen Setups?

remember Parkinsons Law - the space you need will expand to fill the space you'v got. I use 3 and its plenty, if youre running a good machine with mission critical things only you can also use something called Dexpot which gives you more virtual desktops.

for graphics cards you dont need to spend much ive got 32mb matrox g450s in by dell box and they were about 40 quid from ebay, will run 4 monitors per card. everything works fine.

one other thing is that you can spend a fortune on computer kit for a sh!t hot computer when its way over the top. A box for execution and maybe graphing does not need the latest greatest chipset.

So, instead of blowing all your wad on one machine, i think its better to split it between a primary machine of mid spec and also on a backup system like a laptop and prepaid wifi dongle or something.

having a single point of failure in your setup isn't a great idea, despite how flash your setup is.

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/LCD-TVs/buy-SONY-KDL37EX403U-LCD-TV/622141

Odd one out here, dual monitor setup, with the above as primary (37" 1080p - 4-5 ft view distance, 1280x720 full screen - fckin bliss : D - must be 1080p for proper resolution of PC output) and 19" secondary for alerts, news etc.

If anyone is interested I can vouch for it being good as a pc monitor, weird as a dedicated 27" ASUS PC monitor is the same price...

Works for me, no way I'd go back to small screens.

Laptops with m/screen? - WAS - Re: Multi-Screen Setups?

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a laptop with a multiple screen option?
(2 probably enough for me).

I have quite got used to the combination of laptop, plug-in flat screen, wireless keyboard and mouse, and it makes working in a space that is not 100% a dedicated "shrine" quite feasible. I could make good use of a 2nd screen, and it wouldn't compromise the working space too much. The laptop screen would provide a 3rd when necessary.

I'm quite happy to shell out the ackers for a decent processor and loads of memory, and a decent graphics card. I just prefer to do so without the need for a desktop/floor-standing PC. I suspect that with a laptop though, your options are a bit more limited.

EDIT: OK, I see rc450 posted somewhere above about a laptop+3, so I guess it must be possible.

Last edited:
Re: Laptops with m/screen? - WAS - Re: Multi-Screen Setups?

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a laptop with a multiple screen option?

I have quite got used to the combination of laptop, plug-in flat screen, wireless keyboard and mouse, and it makes working in a space that is not 100% a dedicated "shrine" quite feasible. I could make good use of a 2nd screen, and it wouldn't compromise the working space too much. The laptop screen would provide a 3rd when necessary.

I'm quite happy to shell out the ackers for a decent processor and loads of memory, and a decent graphics card. I just prefer to do so without the need for a desktop/floor-standing PC. I suspect that with a laptop though, your options are a bit more limited.

EDIT: OK, I see rc450 posted somewhere above about a laptop+3, so I guess it must be possible.

i run one of these off a secondhand dell d630 with three 20" screens and laptop screen with 2 mt4s running without any issues, i run my broker platform from a seperate desktop though.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/

Re: Laptops with m/screen? - WAS - Re: Multi-Screen Setups?

External graphics card eg. http://www.suite101.com/content/external-dual-monitor-video-cards-for-laptops-a258793
OR
Buy a fancy gamer's laptop which has 2 graphics cards.

Four screens work well for me. Here's mine:

1473_adjusted.jpg

The monitors are attached to Ergotron arms:

IMG_1475.JPG

I also had to add a video card to my computer that would support 4 monitors. It was the ATI Firepro 2460:

ATI_FirePro_2460_Multi-View_572x229.jpg

Previously my setup was only 2 screens. But, since I upgraded to the four-screen setup, its definitely improved my efficiency.

Thanks gentlemen. You've given me plenty to think about. It seems like there are quite a few options, including USB to VGA adapters.

As I will have to replace the laptop sooner rather than later, I think a new laptop with a dual card would be the cleanest solution. However, I gather there are a few pitfalls there, as they seem to come as one VGA and one DVI you have to be careful they will connect to the monitors you plan to use.

Cheers,
Mike

Four screens work well for me. Here's mine:

View attachment 102374

The monitors are attached to Ergotron arms:

View attachment 102376

I also had to add a video card to my computer that would support 4 monitors. It was the ATI Firepro 2460:

View attachment 102378

Previously my setup was only 2 screens. But, since I upgraded to the four-screen setup, its definitely improved my efficiency.
You cleaned that desk before you took that photo, admit it!

Nice setup!

Currently running 3 monitors, done it over stages and each monitor is different but I kinda like it. Will invest in 3 new LED monitors soon as the latest 3rd monitor is LED and it simply blows the LCD screens away.

Run a 8GB, 2xNvidia graphic cards and the speed is very useful.

Attachments

• s.jpg
    s.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,188
Currently running 3 monitors, done it over stages and each monitor is different but I kinda like it. Will invest in 3 new LED monitors soon as the latest 3rd monitor is LED and it simply blows the LCD screens away.

Run a 8GB, 2xNvidia graphic cards and the speed is very useful.

Do you find the LED monitors give less glare? I wonder if they become less tiring to look at?

R