Multi monitor using proreal charts & IG??

Redrockade

Hi, I have been trading with IG for a while both live and demo and like the ProReal charts. I often trade European and US Indices along with oil if patterns are there. I will trade Dollar Forex pairs at some times, but find that I can not monitor all of my charts well enough on one screen. I never have more than 4 trades running at same time but like to see the hour, 15 & 5 min charts whilst in the trade.

My question is does any one run a 4 screen station, using Pro Real charts open on all screens and order through IG? I know I can open multiple charts and prices with IG on one screen but not sure about multi monitor.

I do not have enough funds yet to go DIrect Market Broker.

Thanks in advance

Hi, I have been trading with IG for a while both live and demo and like the ProReal charts. I often trade European and US Indices along with oil if patterns are there. I will trade Dollar Forex pairs at some times, but find that I can not monitor all of my charts well enough on one screen. I never have more than 4 trades running at same time but like to see the hour, 15 & 5 min charts whilst in the trade.

My question is does any one run a 4 screen station, using Pro Real charts open on all screens and order through IG? I know I can open multiple charts and prices with IG on one screen but not sure about multi monitor.

I do not have enough funds yet to go DIrect Market Broker.

Thanks in advance

It's certainly possible with IG's basic charts – it's something I currently do with 3/4 monitors. The IG charts need to be of "tear off charts" setting which will allow you to drag them to the desired monitor. I haven't tried it with the Pro Real charts. My experience is with Windows 7 running off one PC with the screen set to "extended desktop"– obviously you will need a PC capable running 4 monitors (most will run at least 2 and the cheapest of cheapo graphic cards will allow you to extend that quite satisfactorily).

It's certainly possible with IG's basic charts – it's something I currently do with 3/4 monitors. The IG charts need to be of "tear off charts" setting which will allow you to drag them to the desired monitor. I haven't tried it with the Pro Real charts. My experience is with Windows 7 running off one PC with the screen set to "extended desktop"– obviously you will need a PC capable running 4 monitors (most will run at least 2 and the cheapest of cheapo graphic cards will allow you to extend that quite satisfactorily).

Thanks for that. I'm building a system with 3 monitors (but room for 4) and will use my other mac for news, feeds etc. I'm hoping that being able to see different time frames and have tickets open ready to lock profits in if no limits in place will be quicker than closing and opening frames etc. :D

Thanks for that. I'm building a system with 3 monitors (but room for 4) and will use my other mac for news, feeds etc. I'm hoping that being able to see different time frames and have tickets open ready to lock profits in if no limits in place will be quicker than closing and opening frames etc. :D

Hope it goes well. Having two monitors for normal everyday PC use is one of the biggest improvements you can make in your workflow. Trying to trade off just the one monitor is like having a hand tied behind your back (how do these guys on their yachts with only a laptop and 30 minutes a day make their fortunes?). I find 3/4 monitors about right – but obviously it all depends on how many different views/timeframes your trading requires.

Hope it goes well. Having two monitors for normal everyday PC use is one of the biggest improvements you can make in your workflow. Trying to trade off just the one monitor is like having a hand tied behind your back (how do these guys on their yachts with only a laptop and 30 minutes a day make their fortunes?). I find 3/4 monitors about right – but obviously it all depends on how many different views/timeframes your trading requires.

I often have 3 or 4 trades open during the day and have not been able to close at the higher gains whilst waiting for tickets to open or jumping from chart to close, it's frustrating then it puts you in the wrong frame of mind.

I'm thinking a system with decent RAM, HDD and graphics cards will allow swift entry/exit. The only thing that I can't control is the internet speed, it's not to bad here but do notice a regular drop in speed from 4 pm onwards. I have thought of a satellite internet system but then that can be affected by storms etc. the speed of the entry/exit really makes a difference to weekly/monthly gains when your trading every day :)

I often have 3 or 4 trades open during the day and have not been able to close at the higher gains whilst waiting for tickets to open or jumping from chart to close, it's frustrating then it puts you in the wrong frame of mind.

I'm thinking a system with decent RAM, HDD and graphics cards will allow swift entry/exit. The only thing that I can't control is the internet speed, it's not to bad here but do notice a regular drop in speed from 4 pm onwards. I have thought of a satellite internet system but then that can be affected by storms etc. the speed of the entry/exit really makes a difference to weekly/monthly gains when your trading every day :)

If your PC is in good working order – no viruses or background programs that are hogging resources – then for ordinary everyday trading you do not need an especially high spec. The problem you describe sounds more like the quality/speed of your Internet connection. You need sufficient RAM to cope with the programs you're running but actually having extra won't make your PC go any faster and unless you're doing gaming/video processing/high-end graphics then bog standard HDD and graphics cards will suffice.

As an example, like you I've had three or four trades open with their respective charts & others on the monitors + brokers' screens et cetera, together with Outlook, Internet and quite a few other programs all working independently well and with no problems of opening/closing trades. The spec I currently use for this sort of thing is an Intel I-5 Ivy Bridge processor + 8 GB RAM (very rarely uses more than 4 GB), on-board CPU graphics + extra graphics card (£25 Amazon) and two hard drives of very run-of-the-mill speed specification that would make any serious speed-geek wince. This runs very very satisfactorily on Windows 7 with an Internet connection speed currently roundabout 10 to 12 M/B but interestingly last year in a different part of town my speed was half that but in practical terms of everyday usage I can't tell the difference (okay files download a bit quicker but I can't see any difference in trading). I have on occasion used an old XP computer with an ancient Pentium processor and traded just as well in terms of opening/closing trades – my point is: you don't need a high spec computer for ordinary retail trading; I happen to have specified an Intel I5 with a large level II cache purely for use in speech recognition (I'm not typing this) and if it were not for that requirement I would have probably chosen a cheaper processor.

Before spending money you would be best advised to identify where your problem really lies – is it your connection, your broker or your kit? First thing might be to try a completely different PC/laptop and see if things remain problematic – if they do, that at least suggests the problem might not be your PC. You can then start checking downstream from the PC – is your modem correctly set up? You could also try your existing PC on somebody else's connection and see whether that makes an improvement. I have traded in the past on a fairly slow (by today's standards) connection of about 2 M/b and that didn't cause me any problems: you need to assess the quality of your Internet connection (speed & ping times) before abandoning it since it's a fairly drastic i.e. expensive solution to go satellite. Try to change just one thing at a time and that may lead to a faster diagnosis. Of course, it might be just a simple matter of changing your Internet provider (assuming that's possible). A good site to get information on ISPs (and there are some rubbish ones out there) is http://www.ispreview.co.uk/ . Do keep us informed on your progress in resolving this problem.

Last edited:
Hey,

I did a speed test and was getting half of what should of been coming through, BT came and set up a new box and did some work at the exchange, working like a dream now.

Had a good day today on DOW, Dax and EUR/USD (although the Forex trade was heart stopping, I'm not a Forex trader but I'm learning) was much easier with more screens and charts showing different time frames, could gauge things better. Like the idea of voice recording these messages, takes me for ever to write and I use head phones throughout the day listening to Ransquark. Hope you had a good days trading all,

Hi 0007 (or anyone else)
Sorry to drag up an old post, but I saw your comment on IG 'tear off' charts to have more than 1 chart open at the same time, wheres this option please? I dont use their Pro Real Time, just a normal spread betting account