Motivation

Dear Mr. Charts
I'm not 73, I am 23 exactly and I believe everyone could understand that if that was a post what you would think, not that it was real because I had posted earlier that I don't trade!
I didn't intend to have amusing posts, sorry, I wanted to know people's opinions.
You say job hunting... well I wouldn't really call it job hunting if I understood what you meant. I sea you have quite a source ;-)
Do you have any proposition? I believe you know almost everything else, like where I am from etc.
I still defy and deny what you had posted that everyone can become a stock trader, maybe it could be good for some but definitely most people would lose money and time, so not everyone can do this, otherwise we would have had universities specially for speculation, and we don't.
Cheers!

This is not a board where one brags about, or has to prove one's self to another person. The regulars on here know who trades what, how often, how well and for how much profit. You will not find anyone that tries to pull the wool over readers eyes. There just is no point in doing that. We see from your profile that you are a Student.... If you are not prepared to take on board sound advice, you are likely to stay a student.

the very 1st two posts were great - maybe we can try to contnue the same way....

BeM, Trading is addictive gambling only if you are a novice trader and unable to realise that trading is a business.

By the time the penny drops most newbies lose their capital and become the part of the 90% losing crowd (gamblers).

Nobody waits for a big wave to make money – you wait for the signal your system is giving you and then you enter or exit a trade.

As far as losing is concerned, losing is a part of this business – how do you manage it - is everything!

You manage it in the same careful way you manage your winning trades.

Unless your business plan has a positive expectancy – you are gambling and not trading.

The line is very fine but nevertheless very clearly defined.

Hi guys,
I hope no-one hates me ;-)
I would like to ask omething if someone could help me out.
I want to check my luck betting on SPY but for just a few minutes probably i.e. is there any possibility of spreadbetting or something to bet for SPY or S&P 500 going short or long just for a few minutes? For example to buy (bet on the upside) at 10:30 ET at a certain price (I don't know who would set that price, the price of the exchange or other) and sell (cover) at 10:32. Is there any company or any possibility of doing such a thing for S&P 500 and do you know how much capital etc. they would require? Are the prices set by the betting companies real? I mean how do they make money then?
Thanks folks!

You can do that via Finspreads. Cost you £100 to set up a cash account and you can bet 1p on the S&P 500 , You can go long at 10:32:00 and sell at 10:32:05 , if your PC and internet link is quick enough....

I looked at it, and it's like they set a price and one has to beat their price, well this is how they make money!

Chartman is correct:eek:n Monday at 16.09 I sold the DAX with Finspreads @2676 and bought it back at 16.12 @ 2665. You can learn to spreadbet on Finspread internet site for as little as 1p a point. To do any daytrading you need fast internet ie ISDN, a decent live charting system and satellite TV ie CNBC channel. Also you need to spend time reading some decent books on the market and just watching and absorbing news and market movements. It takes time and patience and the longer you do it the less emotion plays havoc with your trading! I am only a raw beginner, knowing nothing about the subject 2 years ago, but now find it fascinating and I think success is possible for anyone if they are prepared to WORK DARNED HARD. Nothing comes easy in this life.

Hi everyone,
I want to start to bet on S&P 500 at CMC. The spread is 0.5, which is about 0.06% if we consider S&P 500 at about 800.
Would anyone share some experience or expertise with me, here or individually?
Thanks!
[email protected]

BeM - there is more than enough material on this BB to get you started, but you have to do it for yourself - no one else can do it for you. Read everything you can get hold of on TA, read Chartman's daily comment on the ES and Dow, plus Ed Downs comment on Signal Watch. Read the article quoted in the link posted recently by HelenQ on money management - mastering this is absolutely critical. Then papertrade for a while to see if your method is working. Write down the trades based on real prices - but if you don't write it down it didn't happen - don't kid yourself. What is your record? How can you improve it? when things went wrong, how could you have prevented it? Losses are inevitable, but you must keep them small. Keep a log and see what your track record is. When you are showing a consistent profit, only then try it with real beer vouchers - and keep your trades small. I mean really small! You are not trying to make a fortune, just trying to see if you make the same decisions when doing it for real as you did when you were papertrading. All traders will tell you that you will make different decisions when you are in for real than you do when papertrading. Yes - even YOU will, despite what you may think.

Good luck.

Simply put. Unless you have big pockets, big ba**s, and are well seasoned, don't.
Not with CMC at anyrate. Although it seems a small market when compared to the dow, you will be risking a minimum £1 on the last digit of the quoted prices.
And this market moves fast.
People say it is the fastest market around and only people with big pockets are invited.
Fins would probably be the better option using smaller stakes.
But a much better choice would be direct to the floor, trading the E- mini. You won't make as much, but you won't lose as much either.

Options

Last edited: