Mobile FX Trading

damianoakley

Established member
Hi All,

I am an intraday trader of Forex and trade on Oanda using a laptop with a wireless internet connection.

I was wondering - does anyone here have any experience of using GFT Forex's PDA broker software. It would be brilliant if I could trade on the move using a PDA rather than lug a laptop about.

The theory sounds good, but has anyone used it for real?

All opinions welcome.

Many Thanks

Damian

Can I ask about your wireless connection as I want to make use of my daily train journeys?
If I connect my laptop to my nokia N70 and set up a free anytime dial up ISP would I be charged anything by mobile network and would the connection be good enough?
Is there a better alternative?
Cheers

Personally, I would use a 3G Datacard to plug straight into my laptop via the pcmcia slot.

Faster, more reliable connection mate.

I would imagine that if you connected via your mobile phone, you would be charged the same as a local rate phone call for the duration of the call.

Many thanks. I originally didn't want the extra monthly charge of a datacard but this way I won't have to sign up to a free anytime dial up ISP and the datacard will be quicker.

damianoakley said:
Hi All,

I am an intraday trader of Forex and trade on Oanda using a laptop with a wireless internet connection.

I was wondering - does anyone here have any experience of using GFT Forex's PDA broker software. It would be brilliant if I could trade on the move using a PDA rather than lug a laptop about.

All opinions welcome.

Many Thanks

Damian

Switch to IG Index they offer mobile dealing on a whole range of phones and PDA's. Also, a while back Cantors were offering a free XDA to new accounts for their mobile dealing service. Don't know if they are still offering it though

Wireless Trading

I have been trading using GFT's wireless platform for about 2 years. I use a Toshiba 2032 PDA on Sprint. I must say that when it works its quite amazing. It's like a mini desktop trading platform in the palm of your hand. You can apply candlesticks, bars, tick and many different indicators. Most of the popular indicators are included. I find the Slow Stoch, MACD or 10period Momentum work quite well in wireless mode.You can also zoom in or out in diff time frames.

Here are the downsides:
First, connection reliabilty is unreliable at times so you really have to make sure that you are connected and the chart is "online"[ before placing a trade. Somedays I have to relogin 10-20 times during the course of 8 hours. Other days I stay connected all day without a blip.

Second, the price action is a little behind sometimes so qick scalps are next to impossible. Market orders don't execute for a few seconds sometimes so there might be a little slippage. You might as well just forget about trying to play the volitility around a economic data release.

All in all, I think wireless trading is awesome because I am on the road all day and I like to be able to trade if the right opportunity arises. I have had the best luck using 60 min charts to find the short term trend, then using the 15min or 5 min charts with stoch or Momentum(10) to trade with the 60 min trend. There is nothing more exciting to me than making money while sitting in traffic while everyone else is just listening to the radio or picking their nose! http://www.trade2win.com/boards/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=234454#
Laughing LOL.

Happy trading. http://www.trade2win.com/boards/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=234454#
Very Happy

QUOTE=damianoakley]Hi All,

All opinions welcome.

Many Thanks

Damian[/QUOTE]