Minimum Spec

samtron

Established member
Having a few radars open is eating up my pc's resources (over 90%) of cpu time with only 6 radars :(

What is the min spec PC recommended, I have got stacks of ram and I thing its probably just CPU spec :eek:

Are there any "tricks" that can be used to help the poor cpu out?

Radar is REALLY hungry on resource. I think Trader333 has found some tweaks and work-arounds.

I switched my scanning to Excel a long while back.

How do I find out my CPU utilisation?

I'm using TS 8.1

I don't have any obvious problems most of the day but do see some problems with numbers in radars not matching charts in the first few minutes of the open sometimes.

I have about 5 radar screens with about 100 stocks (the same ones) in each. Also have a couple more with 20 stocks in (again the same 20 in both) . I also have probably 60 odd charts with strategies or big indictors running . I try to keep my indicators in radarscreen quite small and pass round Global Variables. I did it for modularisation but It might help performance.

Gareth

Last edited:
OK, at the moment (14:15 ET) I've got CPU at about 55%-65% most of the time with the occasional spike to high 80's.

I've got a 3.00GHz Pentium 4 with 1 GB Ram so hardly state of the art. Of course I'm probably not doing the level of number crunching the likes of Grey1 may be up to.

garethb said:
How do I find out my CPU utilisation?

I'm using TS 8.1

I don't have any obvious problems most of the day but do see some problems with numbers in radars not matching charts in the first few minutes of the open sometimes.

I have about 5 radar screens with about 100 stocks (the same ones) in each. Also have a couple more with 20 stocks in (again the same 20 in both) . I also have probably 60 odd charts with strategies or big indictors running . I try to keep my indicators in radarscreen quite small and pass round Global Variables. I did it for modularisation but It might help performance.

Gareth

Hi Gareth,
I be interested to know what spec CPU your using? (mine is 1.5G)
Like I said I have 6 radars open at the moment (each with 20 stocks) and radar is sucking
the poor CPU to death :) (75% of cpu time spent servicing radar)

Another thing I should mention is some of my radars are not displayed but in a workspace I only view for diagnosing problems. I don't know if this makes a difference. I am aware that some things like sorting don't take place in radar screen if they are not actually on view.

Gareth

garethb,

try shutting some background programs if you have windows.... this helped me out bigtime.

Go to run, type in msconfig(short for microsoft configuration, I assume), enter, and click on start up. These are all the programs that are opened, or turned on, when the machine is started up.

hope this helps :)

samtron said:
Hi Gareth,
I be interested to know what spec CPU your using? (mine is 1.5G)
Like I said I have 6 radars open at the moment (each with 20 stocks) and radar is sucking
the poor CPU to death :) (75% of cpu time spent servicing radar)

I think I need to invest in a new PC :cry:
Does anyone know if the dual processor beasties are any good?

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback Paul,
since posting the question I have spent some time reading some posts on the "main board" about the topic, and the view there seems to mixed :rolleyes: , they seem to be saying, yes if the application your using is designed to take advantage, but no if its not.!

I might trying asking the man at PCWorld LOL

The man at PC World will probably give you a more intelligent answer than the person on the Tradestation helpdesk!. But the TS person will say they value your business and tell you to have a nice day!

Gareth

I am making my daily money using only 27 stocks . 10 core stocks BRCM , AAPL , SNDK and few Energy stocks. ( directional trades only )

You can even reduce this to the basic 10 and you still get many many signals a day .

How ever ,

if you could have the top of the range hard ware like IANH 's then you can have 100 S&P 100 stocks on a radar to use it as market direction gauge. As soon as you get SELL SELL SELL on these stocks you KNOWWWWWWWWW the market going to go down even though the Index is still not showing much movement .. Why is that ? well the market direction leaks into the stocks first as they are not Gorrilas and can be bullied faster than the index itself but then the snow ball effect starts pushing the index down.. Nice hey ? lol

I have demonstrated that in action while the lads were here .. This is an awesome methodology to call the market .

Grey1 did not trade to day due to having trader's meeting . I wont be trading for next few days either as I am doing some other works .

Iraj

PS:-- one of the traders only paid £800 for a high spec 4GIG RAM dual pro and the rest from PC world yesterday . I have seen his computer and is sufficient to run all my strategies .

Trader333 said:
Yes I have one and lots of RAM is also important.

Paul
I bought a fujitsu one in PC world with 4 gig ram. Total cost £800. seems OK.

EDIT

Oops - sorry Iraj, posted this before I saw your post above.

LII

If you know how to set a PC up correctly you can turn off many of the processes that are not really needed. This will improve the performance quite dramatically and allow you to get a much greater performance from your machine. In addition to this there are tricks when using Radarscreen that reduce CPU load. What I will say is beware of buying from Dell as they have recently decided to use their own RAM chips which are not standard and if you wish to upgrade to more memory it is very expensive.

Paul

Grey1 said:
I
if you could have the top of the range hard ware like IANH 's then you can have 100 S&P 100 stocks on a radar to use it as market direction gauge. As soon as you get SELL SELL SELL on these stocks you KNOWWWWWWWWW the market going to go down even though the Index is still not showing much movement .. Why is that ? well the market direction leaks into the stocks first as they are not Gorrilas and can be bullied faster than the index itself but then the snow ball effect starts pushing the index down.. Nice hey ? lol

I have demonstrated that in action while the lads were here .. This is an awesome methodology to call the market .

So :idea:
Down>Top strategy can take the place of Top>Down

samtron said:
So :idea:
Down>Top strategy can take the place of Top>Down

No actually it is still a TOP DOWN but you use 100 stocks low time frame signal to guage the market direction . Then you choose a single stock that you want to trade

Always Top Down no matter what

Grey1