PC Spec - For Information...

thanks to you both, going to investigate the ts and data feed possibility's but pretty clear on the machine spec now(and its not as expensive as i first thought:))

cheers.
b.d

brutsdog,

I just bought a new comp about 2 months ago. Dell had a pretty good deal at the time.

the specs on my comp are.
inspirion 531 desktop $750 USD with 22 inch monitor
AMD 6000+ 3.0 dual core
2 gigs ram DDR2 800mhz ++++ plus I just added 2 more gigs total 4 gigs 800mhz
2 nvidia dual monitor cards 1)geforce 8300 128 mb pci express 2) geforce 6400 256 mb Pci card.

this works pretty good but my comp frooze a few times I have quite a few symbols around 200 I have to figure out how to shut down some start up programs in vista.

BTW I am running TS 9

CPU speed issues with Tradestation

Hi Guys,

The resource usage problems with the TS continues to baffle me...:mad:

During the peak times my (1yr old) computer runs at 100% cpu speed thereby causing a lag.

Now, the computer is a dual core one with 4 gb of RAM and 500gig hard disk and I use ONLY Tradestation (during the trading day);

I not only defrag the drive every alternate day but also c/o registry defrag every day and use CCI cleaner and windows drive cleaner every day.

I never fail to use the GS nightly maintenance. The max symboly I use is 22 with no more than 4 TS charts open.

The max ram usage is around 25% during peak times but the CPU goes upto 100%. When the computer was new, a year ago, the max processor usage used to go upto 50-60% only

The Prosuite2000i was created around 8 years ago when dual core did not exist and TS help forum only talks about 128mb ram and a pentium 2 processor-

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME IN UNDERSTANDING (and hopefully to fix it-it surely should be possible:( ) WHAT CAN I DO TO GET THE COMPUTER PROCESSOR USAGE LOW-
Raj

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

During the peak times my (1yr old) computer runs at 100% cpu speed thereby causing a lag.

Now, the computer is a dual core one with 4 gb of RAM and 500gig hard disk and I use ONLY Tradestation (during the trading day);

I not only defrag the drive every alternate day but also c/o registry defrag every day and use CCI cleaner and windows drive cleaner every day.

I never fail to use the GS nightly maintenance. The max symboly I use is 22 with no more than 4 TS charts open.

The max ram usage is around 25% during peak times but the CPU goes upto 100%. When the computer was new, a year ago, the max processor usage used to go upto 50-60% only

The Prosuite2000i was created around 8 years ago when dual core did not exist and TS help forum only talks about 128mb ram and a pentium 2 processor-

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME IN UNDERSTANDING (and hopefully to fix it-it surely should be possible:( ) WHAT CAN I DO TO GET THE COMPUTER PROCESSOR USAGE LOW-
Raj

Hi Raj,

It would also be interesting to here from other members who run the later TS8.3 ver of TS (do they have similar problems?)

cheers
glen

Hi Raj,

I ain't no computer expert, but there appears to be a problem somewhere, have you tried the followin?

Ctrl+ Alt+Del > Processes

This brings up the windows task manager and a list of all the applications and the CPU/ Mem Usage.

I can have Opera open with about a dozen pages, Dealbook 360 ( GFT), Deal4Free ( CMC) and IG Pure Deal, ( IG) with IE 8 and also was testing the Zen fire/Ninja the other day all at the same time and it never strays above circa 25% CPU.

So I think somewhere along the line, you hava a glitch in the system.

Here's my PC spec.

MOTHERBOARD:
QwE Socket 775 Motherboard
4 DDR2 / 16X PCIe / 3 PCI / SATA2 / VIDEO
PROCESSOR: Intel Pentium D 925 (2 x 3.00Ghz) 6.00 GHz Dual Core CPU
2x 2MB Cache / 8005MHz FSB
MEMORY: 1 GB DDR2 667MHz RAM
VIDEO: Unichrome 128MB Memory
OnBoard Shared Video & 16X PCI Express Upgrade Slot
DISK SPACE: 320GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
DISK DRIVES: 16X DVDRW Dual Layer Burner
AUDIO: Realtek ALC653 DolbyStereoSound 5.1 channel
High Definition Audio CODEC
WLAN / LAN: Realtek RTL8201CL PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
CASE: Black/Silver ATX Business / Office / Gaming Case
with Front USB Ports & 400W Power Supply
I/O PORTS: 4 USB Rear / PS2 / 1 Serial / 1 LPT / 1 VGA / 1 RJ45
DRIVERS: Motherboard Manual, Chipset, Video, Audio & Lan Driver

Swapped the video card for the quad monitor one from my old PC, so running 4 monitors.

I agree with Lockstock, my CPU is never anywhere near the level that yours is. When the CPU is running at 100% you need to know what process(es) are using that resource. Can you post it one here sometime.

Paul

Hi Guys,

Raj

Hi Raj
One possibility is that you are running some code (an indicator or something) that is causing the CPU to get its knickers in a twist. I only get the same problem you mention when I am testing some new code I may have written before all bugs have been sorted out - running an endless loop for example.

My PC spec is no higher than yours (by the sound of it) and it generally runs fine around 30%. This is with a lot more symbols than 22.

Having PowerEditor open at the same time as TS can also cause the 100% CPU issue.

Some code/indicators, such as calculating Linear Regressions can be pretty resource intensive too.

Good Luck
Steve

Hi Raj,

I ain't no computer expert, but there appears to be a problem somewhere, have you tried the followin?

Ctrl+ Alt+Del > Processes

This brings up the windows task manager and a list of all the applications and the CPU/ Mem Usage.

I can have Opera open with about a dozen pages, Dealbook 360 ( GFT), Deal4Free ( CMC) and IG Pure Deal, ( IG) with IE 8 and also was testing the Zen fire/Ninja the other day all at the same time and it never strays above circa 25% CPU.

So I think somewhere along the line, you hava a glitch in the system.

Here's my PC spec.

MOTHERBOARD:
QwE Socket 775 Motherboard
4 DDR2 / 16X PCIe / 3 PCI / SATA2 / VIDEO
PROCESSOR: Intel Pentium D 925 (2 x 3.00Ghz) 6.00 GHz Dual Core CPU
2x 2MB Cache / 8005MHz FSB
MEMORY: 1 GB DDR2 667MHz RAM
VIDEO: Unichrome 128MB Memory
OnBoard Shared Video & 16X PCI Express Upgrade Slot
DISK SPACE: 320GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
DISK DRIVES: 16X DVDRW Dual Layer Burner
AUDIO: Realtek ALC653 DolbyStereoSound 5.1 channel
High Definition Audio CODEC
WLAN / LAN: Realtek RTL8201CL PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
CASE: Black/Silver ATX Business / Office / Gaming Case
with Front USB Ports & 400W Power Supply
I/O PORTS: 4 USB Rear / PS2 / 1 Serial / 1 LPT / 1 VGA / 1 RJ45
DRIVERS: Motherboard Manual, Chipset, Video, Audio & Lan Driver

Swapped the video card for the quad monitor one from my old PC, so running 4 monitors.

Hi lockstock,

Thanks for your reply- I'm sure there is a glitch somewhere-as quite a few people in this forum run Prosuite without any speed issues- it is just that I am cluless as to how to fix it.

The 'processes' mostly deal with 'system' processes; When the prosuite is not open, the cpu usage drops down to 0% almost -so I suspect it is related to the GS &/or prosuite...

Best wishes
Raj

I agree with Lockstock, my CPU is never anywhere near the level that yours is. When the CPU is running at 100% you need to know what process(es) are using that resource. Can you post it one here sometime.

Paul

Thanks Paul; I'll take a screen shot on Monday and post it;
Do you still use Diskkeeper?
In one other forum someone mentioned about GS data de-frag- but would a hard drive defrag not defrag GS data also?

Best wishes

Raj

Hi Raj
One possibility is that you are running some code (an indicator or something) that is causing the CPU to get its knickers in a twist. I only get the same problem you mention when I am testing some new code I may have written before all bugs have been sorted out - running an endless loop for example.

My PC spec is no higher than yours (by the sound of it) and it generally runs fine around 30%. This is with a lot more symbols than 22.

Having PowerEditor open at the same time as TS can also cause the 100% CPU issue.

Some code/indicators, such as calculating Linear Regressions can be pretty resource intensive too.

Good Luck
Steve

Hi Steve,

The codes which I use are the ones from this forum- I'll try to switch off one by one on Monday and see what happens. I do not use power editor.

Thanks

Raj

Hi Raj
Depending on how old your data is i.e. how long (weeks/months) you have been updating it since you started, it might be worth re-indexing the data.
To do this, look in the Omegas Research Server folder for a folder called PDS.
Close Globalserver.
Make another folder (PDS-temp or something) and copy your PDS folder to this one. This keeps a copy of your data safe while you re-index.
Now go into your proper PDS folder and delete all files of type .idx.
Open up Task Manager in the Processes tab and make sure you are displaying I/O Read Bytes and I/O Write bytes (Use View - select Columns)
When you restart Globalserver it will re-index the data and you can watch in the task manager as the number of bytes increases for Server.exe.
When it has finished, the .idx files you deleted will have been re-created in the PDS folder.
You can check this in Windows Explorer.

Having now re-indexed your data it should run faster.

Glenn

Hi Raj
Depending on how old your data is i.e. how long (weeks/months) you have been updating it since you started, it might be worth re-indexing the data.
To do this, look in the Omegas Research Server folder for a folder called PDS.
Close Globalserver.
Make another folder (PDS-temp or something) and copy your PDS folder to this one. This keeps a copy of your data safe while you re-index.
Now go into your proper PDS folder and delete all files of type .idx.
Open up Task Manager in the Processes tab and make sure you are displaying I/O Read Bytes and I/O Write bytes (Use View - select Columns)
When you restart Globalserver it will re-index the data and you can watch in the task manager as the number of bytes increases for Server.exe.
When it has finished, the .idx files you deleted will have been re-created in the PDS folder.
You can check this in Windows Explorer.

Having now re-indexed your data it should run faster.

Glenn

Thanks a lot Glenn-I'll give it a try and write back.

Best wishes

Raj

Edit: Indexing is complete....now for Monday.....

Last edited:
I havent used TS2K much but I can say that TS8 Radar screen has a much better memory footprint. In the past I have had several hundred stocks in RS at any one time. This was on a computer with 2Gb memory.
TS8 also doesnt have Global server so you dont have to ar$e around with data problems.
Cheers,
Imran

Last edited:
I havent used TS2K much but I can say that TS8 Radar screen has a much better memory frontprint. In the past I have had several hundred stocks in RS at any one time. This was on a computer with 2Gb memory.
TS8 also doesnt have Global server so you dont have to ar$e around with data problems.
Cheers,
Imran

Thanks Imran-maybe someday I'll have to s/w over to TS8 out of sheer frustration....but in the mean time-let see if Monday proves to be better for the CPU usage (I've done the GS indexing now-there HAS to be a way....:!:). :)

Raj

Thanks Imran-maybe someday I'll have to s/w over to TS8 out of sheer frustration....but in the mean time-let see if Monday proves to be better for the CPU usage (I've done the GS indexing now-there HAS to be a way....:!:). :)

Raj

Suggest you also do what Paul mentioned. When the market is open use Task Manager Performance tab to see graph of total CPU.
Then Processes tab to see the individual progs running. Sort them by the CPU column, top down, to see what is using the most CPU.
Check out ORTrade.exe, ORRadar.exe, Server.exe.
If you also have something like Skype or CNBC Plus running, they can gobble up CPU.

Glenn

Suggest you also do what Paul mentioned. When the market is open use Task Manager Performance tab to see graph of total CPU.
Then Processes tab to see the individual progs running. Sort them by the CPU column, top down, to see what is using the most CPU.
Check out ORTrade.exe, ORRadar.exe, Server.exe.
If you also have something like Skype or CNBC Plus running, they can gobble up CPU.

Glenn

Will certainly do do that too-I'll post a screen shot of 'processes' tomorrow.
Due to cpu usage issues, I run only prosuite on this computer..

Cheers

Raj

Paul

Hi Paul,

These are the attachments for the processes-the cpu still goes to 100% after indexing.
Do you see anything fishy in the processes?

Best wishes

Raj

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    40.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    55.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    54.5 KB · Views: 18
Raj, are you running all your trading through 1 pc ?,
ie,TWS, T/s and data feed,charting etc ? 1or 2 monitors?
plus any other applications ?,

I didn't see anything of major concern. You may already have said but can you say what the full spec of the pc is ?

Paul