Mini Dow.........

GotGold

Does anybody recommend trading this instumment?
What is the ticker symbol?
What sort of spreads are available?
Why trade the mini rather than the big Dow?

Any thoughts....

Some traders trade nothing but YM (mini Dow).
If you have a good system for trading the DOW then you obviously want to trade YM.

The spread is 1 pip.

If you are trading <10 you shouldnt get much slippage.

Slippage increases for anything over 20 contracts IMO.

I dont think you can trade the big Dow electronically (but perhaps you can?)

I trade the mini Dow, using the Strategy/charts suggested by Chart Man and all the other contributors in the marvelous Thread 'Dow Intraday'

MiniGold

Are you interested in trading using a Spread Betting company or using Direct Access?

With Spread Betting you can usually trade the Dow Daily Cash but your position will close at the end of day or you can trade Dow Futures which will close when the future contract expires (every 3 months). You can also trade smaller stakes this way if that is what you are looking for.

With direct access (I use Interactive Brokers) you can trade the E mini dow futures at $5 per contract. There is no spread as such but the ask and bid prices will normally be 1 pip apart unless you are trading out of normal hours when there is very little activity.

The basic symbol for this is YM. In Esignal (charting) I can look at "YM #" continuous futures or "YM Z4" which refer specifically to the December contracts.

Hope this helps!

Justyn.