MetaTrader 4 (MT4) 'How do I ...' / Q & A Thread

Thanks for that Pat, I am currently testing the breakout analyzer on the FTSE, it looks good so far.

I am using EMA 10, 20 and 100 on all timeframes in my MT4.

I need to know the value of P used in the EMA calculations in MT4.

The P-value is mentioned in the Help section of MT4, but there is no mention of what the default value for it is.

Can anybody help with that?

I am using EMA 10, 20 and 100 on all timeframes in my MT4.

I need to know the value of P used in the EMA calculations in MT4.

The P-value is mentioned in the Help section of MT4, but there is no mention of what the default value for it is.

Can anybody help with that?

OK I found the answer here:
http://www.iexplain.org/ema-how-to-calculate/

Basically p is driven by the number of periods in the EMA.
Thus for EMA20, p = 2/ (20+1) = 0.0952
for EMA10, p = 2/ (10+1) = 0.01818
and for EMA100, p = 2/ (100+1) = 0.0198

My Problem !

I expect other MT4 users have similar problems Tim, so why don't you post in any answers you have found ?

Wish I could help

Keep thread going please

I wonder why but these days when I download MT4, it does not include the MQxx Folder in which the outside studies could be downloaded and then apply them to the active window.
The OS is Win 8 and it gives a silly feedback !

Could someone give me some clues as how to dnload external studies and load them on Charts, Please.

Thanks in Advance.

Vilas.

. . .Could someone give me some clues as how to dnload external studies and load them on Charts, Please.
Hi Vilas,
If by external studies you mean EAs and scripts, do a Google search as there's loads of info' out there on this. By way of example, here's a YouTube vid':
Tim.

Hi Vilas,
If by external studies you mean EAs and scripts, do a Google search as there's loads of info' out there on this. By way of example, here's a YouTube vid':
Tim.

Thanks Tim, for your help.

Will try to get to grips with it and come back to you, if need.

Thanks again,

Vilas.

Hello fellow MT4 users,
I have a problem which is a tad embarrassing as I ought to have solved this ages ago - not least because the solution must be really, really simple. When drawing trend lines on charts, I can't turn off the function that causes the drawn line to snap to the nearest high or low. In other words, I can't draw a line exactly where I want it without the software thinking it knows better. (It probably does, but that's another story.) There doesn't appear to be a box to check - or uncheck - in trend line properties. Ideas anyone?

Ta very muchly,
Tim.

Hello fellow MT4 users,
I have a problem which is a tad embarrassing as I ought to have solved this ages ago - not least because the solution must be really, really simple. When drawing trend lines on charts, I can't turn off the function that causes the drawn line to snap to the nearest high or low. In other words, I can't draw a line exactly where I want it without the software thinking it knows better. (It probably does, but that's another story.) There doesn't appear to be a box to check - or uncheck - in trend line properties. Ideas anyone?

Ta very muchly,
Tim.

Try right clicking the page and then objects. Only limited abilities there but.

Try right clicking the page and then objects. Only limited abilities there but.
Yeah, I can access trend line properties okay Pat but, when there, there's no obvious mechanism that I can see for turning the snap to high / low feature on or off.
Tim.

Yeah, I can access trend line properties okay Pat but, when there, there's no obvious mechanism that I can see for turning the snap to high / low feature on or off.
Tim.

If there is such a thing, I regret I don't know it. Someone ?

Tim.

Propeties/ parameters andcheck/uncheck "ray" box.

QED

Edit: After reading your queery again, dont think my anser is relevant. Sorry.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but . . .
Propeties/ parameters andcheck/uncheck "ray" box. . .
Unfortunately, that just turns the ray (extending the line to infinity) function on and off. It doesn't stop the line locking onto the highs and lows.

doubleclick on the trendline and move it
I do that kalott, place it exactly where I want it, release the mouse button and then 'ping', the line snaps to the nearest high / low!

It's starting to look like this is a problem that all MT4 users worldwide just put up with - which I find rather surprising!
Tim.

Tim

It doesnt happen with my mt4, sometimes I wish it did, so if you find the solution
I would be interested!

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but . . .

Unfortunately, that just turns the ray (extending the line to infinity) function on and off. It doesn't stop the line locking onto the highs and lows.

I do that kalott, place it exactly where I want it, release the mouse button and then 'ping', the line snaps to the nearest high / low!

It's starting to look like this is a problem that all MT4 users worldwide just put up with - which I find rather surprising!
Tim.

Tim

That's odd - doesn't happen with mine either, except for the damn stretching to infinity.

Once you put a trendline on what happens if you highlight it (getting the three little white squares on it to make it "live") and then move it around. Does it still snap to the high/lows or can you put it where you like?

jon

Thanks for the feedback chaps,
. . .It doesnt happen with my mt4, sometimes I wish it did, so if you find the solution
I would be interested!
Swap!
:D

Nor mine. So write to your platform tech people or change.
There's a pattern developing here . . .

That's odd - doesn't happen with mine either, except for the damn stretching to infinity.

Once you put a trendline on what happens if you highlight it (getting the three little white squares on it to make it "live") and then move it around. Does it still snap to the high/lows or can you put it where you like?
Yes Jon, afraid it does! Stopping the line stretching to infinity is solved by unchecking the 'ray' box. Once this is done, all future trend lines will have fixed end points.

I thought it might be that I mainly use a line version of a Renko chart and perhaps it was something to do with that, but I've tested a 'standard' candlestick chart and exactly the same thing happens.

Anyway, it's clear from your feedback that this problem is unique to me so, as Pat suggests, I'll get on to my broker and ask them for the solution. The key thing is there must be one - evidenced by the fact that none of you have the same problem. Thanks again for your help chaps.
Tim.

It is strange that there is no option on an MT4 chart. On my SB chart there is a choice. "trendline" or "snapping trendline" which does what you have described. Same with "parallelline" function.

Just a little update on my trend line problem - which I'm still struggling with. George - my very friendly and helpful broker rep' is looking into it for me.

I’ve attached a ‘before’ and ‘after’ screen grab to illustrate what’s happening. The chart on the left shows the trend channel as I drew it at 17.34. The chart to the right shows it 6 minutes later at 17.40 after a strong move down. Check out the two areas highlighted to see what I’m on about.

Previously, I thought the problem was caused by the lines locking onto the highs and lows of price but, as you can see from the image, price hasn’t been anywhere near the trend lines. So, I guess something else must be causing the trend lines to move? Fingers crossed that George will come up with a solution - as this issue is driving me nuts!
Tim.

Attachments

• 17.34.png
    17.34.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 191