MetaStock

Ian,

sorry I can't call the bottom of the market but people have done analyses of previous bull/bear markets and found some common features related to the cycles and periods.

The All Season Investor by Martin Rring talks about some of these things but followers of Gann and Elliot believe in the significance of Fibonacci Numbers and if you look around you can find some good references on Global Investor's book shop or amazon.

IMHO your money is best placed in the bank until the end of the silly season in September or when the Nasdaq index hits 1600.

Good Luck.

metastock

Metatsock takes a few days to setup and understand.

It is a very tech intense software. It is ideal for people who work of values of indiactors..

One of the best and simple for beginners is the PAR indiactor(Parabollic Stop & return) gives entry and exit points.
Has quite a few built in profiles that generate buy/sell signals...

very good for charing and drawing lines. etc

MetaStock Add-ons

Hi

Wondered if any MetaStock users have tried out John Murphy's Chart Recognition Plug-In, per below url:

http://www.murphymorris.com/cpr.html

Am weighing up the pros and cons of either taking on another software package alongside AIQ or replacing the latter, so would be interested in any views re MS.

Rgds

Troy

I have thought about getting the plug-in but only as a nice to have.

I'm pleased with metastock but don't have much knowledge about aiq.

there is a lot that can be done with the explorer (my preferred tool) especially if you have some imagination and elementary programming skills. There is a very substantial set of indicators (See Achelis's book for details) and you can create your own too.

There is a limitation of 6 columns on a report which is a little limiting but I have been able to write some interesting queries that I have certainly found to be useful.

It wouild be interesting to hear about AIQ and what it can do although with all these tools I believe that much of the skill lies in the way that they are used

Darth.

MetaStock & AIQ

Hi Darth

You guessed it in your last para. AIQ is a potential goldmine in terms of functionality IF, and I stress the if, you come to it with a certain amount of programming/ analytical know-how.

Now this comes either as natural or, in my case, through long hours and days spent trying to work out what each bit means / how it works.

I unwisely rushed into buying AIQ and despite being impressed by its potential, I haven't been able to exploit it.

As I'm not a FT trader (ie like most of us I also have a day job) I can only spend limited amounts of time with any TA and accompanying software package during evenings and weekends.

On reflection, maybe AIQ was too much too soon. So I'm now looking at weighing up the pros and cons of another package - namely something which I don't have to spend months trying to learn (ie simple user interface) and with an easy to maintain data feed (the latter being one of the biggest drawbacks of AIQ IMHO).

Any further thoughts by you / other board browsers?

Rgds

Troy

Troyresearch,

I must admit to spending a great deal of time and effort in learning about technical analysis and using search tools.

From what you say, I'm not sure if you would benefit from metastock after having used AIQ though I can recommend Sharescope which is not expensive and comes with a datafeed and is very flexible for basic technical analysis.

There is a free demo version available from their website at www.sharescope.com or www.ionic.co.uk so you can try before you buy. Having said that it has little in the way of numerical analysis but does have a datamining tool if you like that sort of thing.

There's not a lot worth investing in at the moment (I guess you might have noticed) but have you tried moving averages and macd for generating buy signals?

Darth.

Sharescope

Hi Darth

Am afraid Sharescope is too simplistic for me. Am looking for something roughly in between.

Troy

Troy,

I know that Uncle uses Metastock too and I don't think that he's into programming so maybe you would benefit from his opinion?

Regards,
Darth.

yep, he's a regular poster and he'll probably see the thread soon but I suspect that he won't mind if you send him a message through the board...

Matastock

I have used Metastock ( supplied by Trendline ) for four years and use the end of day data from Prestel, using a Sentinal Software package to interface with Metastock. It is very reliable and I have kept it going even while having had two non-successive years of real-time data from Updata.
Would be sorry to lose it, as I have upgraded it several times and the charts and stock tools are very comprehensive.
People use Omnitrader with Metastock which I find interesting since Metastock can do so much on its own.

Last edited:
Hello Duden.

It's good to have another metastock user on board. There are a number of users out there but not many regular posters.

I have both Metastock and OmniTrader and most recently bought Metastock. I like the way that OmniTrader draws charts with trendlines and fibs but prefer the Metastock style analysis and exploration tools and appreciate its wide range of indicators and the ability to define my own.

How do you find the current market?

Darth.

wdarth

what indiactors and settings do u use for RSi and MACD. i use 21 and 5,35,5 respectively.

also what other indiactors do u recommend, and have you built any yourself...

another one i heard is good is DEmand

I use the popular 10 and 14 day period for rsi and find that longer values tend to compress in the middle of the range.
for macd i use 7,14 with a 5 day signal but the best value depends on your timescale.

I'm using many indicators and experimenting with combinations that work well together but are not too closely correlated (eg. rsi, stoch, macd, momentum are all based on the same data).

Try looking at the book by stephen achelis for indicators and their explanations...

I've tried several of my own eg. smoothing indicators with a moving average to avoid whipsaws. Looking at VIDYA, average CMO and QStick too.

Darth.

Duden, welcome to T2W and particularly as you are a Metastock fan. Till Darth turned up I always felt like the lone (Metastock) ranger on this BB as most active members seem to be devotees of AIQ - possibly because the forerunner to this BB was set up by such a devotee.

Best wishes for the future, and be careful when opening your purse in these difficult times.

John

the indicators that u use and their settings, what time frame is that for...what is the trading style you have, so i understand your values..do u use CCI..i think that works quite well.

I tend to trade over 5-25 days and also make longer term investments.

I'm not a fan of CCI though there is nothing wrong with it...

Darth.

Metastock indicators

I seem to have lost my "expert commentary" function.
There was a volatility tool I used to find interesting. I'm running 6.52 Feb '99 build, which I updated for 2000 from the Equis site.
Perhaps I should erase the program and reload it. Does anyone think it's worth updating the program and if so, to which level. Does version 7 add many useful features.

Reloading sounds best but don't forget to save your queries in case they get overwritten...

Sorry I don't know about the differences between releases.