Metastock plug-ins

techtrader

metastock plug-ins

Hi
First of all let me say what a great site this is.
I have been looking at the various trading software options available and have decided on Metastock 8 ( I will be going to the next demonstration ). I have used the search function in here so if I am digging up old ground I apologise in advance. It seems there are endless plug ins, and at a couple of hundred pounds apiece it would cost a fortune to try them all. I would value any opinions that you have on this subject. I know you will say it depends on what you are looking for and it depends on the type of trading you do (I swing trade). but in general has anybody found any of these particularly useful?
It would also be useful to speak to anybody that uses this software.

Thanks in anticipation.
Dave

Hi,

I'm afraid I can't answer your question, but I was interested in Metastock 8 too. What demonstration are you referring to?

Thanks

Mark
Just clicked on your utl and got this message.
You don't have permission to access /MSZ/ on this server.
Thanks
Dave

Hi,
I've got Metastock 8.01, although I don't use it a great deal... there's rather a lot in it, and the US TA mag 'Tech Analysis of Stocks and Commodities' often includes code to type in to add even more - I'd suggest you hold off on plug ins until you identify something you want to do that the basic program won't do for you, by which time the plug in you want will pretty well jump out at you. (If one exists for what you want to do!)
Dave

Thanks for that DaveB
point taken I will of course make my final decision when I have been to the dem
Dave

You can get Metastock for free if you sign up for the Reuters Datalink feed. This is $59/month for EOD data. You can order from the Equis website.

I'd avoid the Reuters deal,
from www.paritech.co.uk you can buy MS 8 for £330 outright, after that you could run it off any datafeed you like for rather less than $59/mo... some (if you don't mind fiddling about to set it up) free - it doesn't take long to balance the initial outlay if you take free data and save $59 a month.
If you actually WANT the Reuters "professional" data then of course this is a bit more attractive!
Dave

That would probably work out cheaper.

The Reuter's deal is data for a year but the software is yours to keep. So that would work out at about £480 for the software and 1 year's data feed.

Oops.
Sorry Paul, didn't realise it was on the shelf here!
That 'the software is yours to keep' adds another dimension to it, assuming that completion of the 1 yr deal does indeed give you all the rights of a purchaser.
Dave

It seems to me the deal Paritech are offering at the moment is pretty good
MS 8.01
12 months LSE Date downloads
10 years data history on CD
Data Director 2 download software
and 12 months telephone e-mail support, (for me the most important bit)
£450.
unless of course you know different
Dave

I was talking to Paritech yesterday and it seems they are no longer doing their London seminars. I am trying to arrange a demo later in the month in Sudbury. if anybody else is interested you can contact me and i will see what I can do. I think Pollux mentioned earlier in this thread that he was thinking about attending.
Thanks for the Irish link goostrey.
Dave

The reason I was looking at the paritech deal was mainly for the years support. When it comes to setting up computers for anything I'm hopeless. Just how easy is MS8.01 to install and run and do I need the Data Director 2 to download the free (or come to that any other Data feed. Also how much historical Data does MS 8.01 come with?
By the way thanks for all your sensible and constructive comments

By the way let me apologise I could not figure out where my posts had gone I didn't realise that that pages where sized to 5 posts per page. now i realise what is going on I will try to get my posts in sync.

A.E. Houseman:
Three minutes thought would suffice to find this out; but thought is irksome and three minutes is a long time.

Please bear with me as I amble through the many path's of T2W and put me right where I faulter and go wrong.

Last edited:
Metastock is very easy to install....

You do not need data director, HOWEVER if you need to the securite in sectors etc then that may be useful...

Metastock does not ship with any UK data...it ships with US data...

I use sharescope to export data into metastock....I use another small programme called Metaload..which updates the data exported from sharescope...

You can also use a package (avilable from web) that will download data from Yahoo site...in fact for any market...only that Yahoo is not too reliable and data is not very accurate...so don't bother..

Metstock comes with a package called downloader which is a very versatile data converter and data updater...

So all in all it will take you few months really to get around aspects of Metastock, after that it will be second nature...

You may set up your own templates and layouts with the colours, timescale, indocators etc you are used to...this will take time...but once created it can be converted to an icon button..used with a click for any security...

regards