Members' Awards 2004

rossored

UPDATE: 26/11/04 - Go to our 2004 Awards Page now to place your votes and have a chance of winning one of 5 cases of wine! Voting closes Dec 31st.
-----------------

Those of you who were members of the site last year will remember that around this time in 2003, we ran a “Members Awards” survey. Well, guess what - we’re running it again this year!

There are some minor changes this year though; unlike last year, everyone who participates will go into a draw to win a case of wine.

There are five sections to vote in, a case of wine up for grabs for each section, and everyone who votes in a section will have their name entered into a draw to win. The wine will be coming to us from one of our advertisers, and they will be ‘sponsoring’ this year’s awards (assuming I can get them to finally agree to it…)

However, for all the booze hounds out there, I have to say that no matter how many times you vote, or how many sections you vote in, you can only win one case of wine! Also, at the moment, I don’t know if it’s red, white, rose or mixed, or if there are six or twelve bottles (I think it’s twelve). You won’t have to pay for carriage or pick it up; it will be sent to the winners’ addresses, courtesy of our sponsor.

Some sections are more ‘fun’ orientated than others. This year we’re planning to add a section about T2W and its members.

Anyway, what I’m asking you all for is this – to have a look at the list, let us know what you think needs to be added, deleted or changed - and we’ll try and get it and up and running in the next 7-10 days, in time for the winners to get their wine before Santa arrives.

Sections we’re proposing for this year are:

Data feeds
Best Real-time Data Feed
Best EOD Data Feed

Charting & Software
Best UK Real-time Charting Package
Best UK EOD Charting Package
Best US Real-time Charting Package
Best US EOD Charting Package
Best System Testing Software

Brokers’ Section
Best Stockbroker
Best Direct Access Broker
Best Futures Broker
Best Forex Broker
Best Spreadbetting Broker
Best CFD Broker
Best Options Broker

Media Section
Best Traders Magazine
Best Financial Television Channel
Best Educational Trading Website
Best Market News Website
Best Market Analysis Website

T2W section
Most helpful / useful member
Most useful Forum
Best Journal
Best Gallery Picture
Best Avatar (see, I told you it wasn’t very serious!)
Funniest Member
Best reviewer
Best Arcade Game

And for a bit of controversy (just for a change ;))…

Most Skilled Trader (no, you can’t vote for yourself)

So, let us have your ideas and opinions as to what we should add, remove or remedy!

Looking good Matt.

Sidinuk's got the best avatar by far and we all know it :LOL:
I used to like the Bramble's disconsolate dog as well, but he seems to have been ousted.

Excellent addition to the comp either way!

In the same vein, how about best username, or is that scraping the trivial barrel a little too deeply?

(Made a quick clean up of the thread - hope no-one minds!)

Thanks Matt. Here's a few more suggestions for categories in no particular order:

1. Best Trading Event
2. Best Trading Platform
3. Best Artificial Intelligence Software
4. Best Portfolio Management/Accounting Software
5. Best Futures Trading System
6. Best Options Trading System
7. Best Stock Trading System
8. Best Trading Resource Website
9. Best Fixed-Odds Broker

One assumes that all members are interested in the relative performance of the many trading systems to make PROFITS. Most members have probably only had the time/expense to test a few of them. I would really like to see the manufacturers of the systems offered, go head to head in OPEN competition. ie a league table of results of forecasts made before rather than in hindsight. Surely this would be the best way to weed out the charlatans and save members their hard won dosh.

Pat494, that's true, but only if it's a mechanical system that requires no additional input or intepretation. Systems like OmniTrader and Advanced GET do require this and so it would be difficult to evaluate them head to head. Otherwise I agree that a statistical comparison is the way to go.

GammaJammer, can't pull the wool over your eyes - I should have guessed someone would spot me sneaking that in! :D

Sharkey
Thanks for responding so quickly. I understand your point which is of course valid.
However using the analogy of motor-cycle racing. There would be an official Honda team and sundry other outfits with Honda machines etc. If they wish to enhance their results eg by standing on one leg and whistling they should say so in their CV.
I accept your decision as final, naturally and will let the matter rest "in pace."

I'm very pleased to announce that voting for the T2W Members' Choice Awards 2004 are now open. This year you can vote on everything from best broker to the most helpful T2W poster. All who enter will have the chance to win one of five crates of wine, kindly donated by E*Trade (and you don't even have to vote for them!). Voting closes on Friday, 31st December and the winners will be announced shortly afterwards.

Go to our Awards Page now to place your votes!

...is there a category for 'tongue stuck most securely to cheek post'? If so then I'd like to nominate the post #10.
Dave

When the Awards are announced, and we are all sitting by our screens, sweating with nervous anticipation and p****** ourselves with excitement awaiting the results - as I'm sure we all will be - may I suggest that a thread could be started for the winners to give their acceptance speeches?

It will be a great help to know those small, and often overlooked, background details to the winners lives (individuals and companies), that have enabled them to conquer fear, to trample over rivals, and to be recognised as Big Swinging D**** by the votes of their peers at the end of 2004.

It is always touching to read of the grateful thanks to Mum and Dad or the Single Parent; the neighborhood dog that barked as the Dax rose - a German Shepherd, too. And how tears are now hitting the keyboard as they realise THEY HAVE WON - and how that bout of substance abuse in August had no effect on their performance.

This will all add to the excitement as we, the trading audience (we gentle souls), hit the bottle, eat the crisps, grind our teeth and gasp in... er, joy, as the results are announced (who the hell voted for him?).

Just a suggestion?

Anyone with me?

LOL Beach Runner, sounds like a great suggestion!

I've gone through the entries today and removed any that were clearly invalid or duplicates (merging the votes). I'll be tidying them as we go, but to save time please check to see if your entry is listed before adding a new one.

.. NOW GET VOTING!

The award winners and prizes will be announced next Monday, 10th Jan. Unfortunately we've just been snowed under dealing with other things this week and haven't had time to collate the results and present them on the site. But I can tell you the response this year has been much better than last (despite having all those categories to vote in), thanks to all those who have participated! And if your quick, you may just be able to get your vote in, and have a chance of winning a crate of wine!