Member Status

Can you give an example of a member that struggles to write their own name and yet posts insightful content?
DT,
As you must surely realise, there are lots of good posts from knowledgable traders that are very poorly written. No, of course I'm not going to name them - but you know who they are just as well as me. And, obviously, even the most illiterate of members can spell their own name - I was just trying to make a point and assumed - not unreasonably IMO - that no one would take it literally.
:rolleyes:
Tim.

DT,
As you must surely realise, there are lots of good posts from knowledgable traders that are very poorly written. No, of course I'm not going to name them - but you know who they are just as well as me. And, obviously, even the most illiterate of members can spell their own name - I was just trying to make a point and assumed - not unreasonably IMO - that no one would take it literally.
Tim.

I no yor rite Tim so donut pay enny heed too hymn :LOL:

This thread is definitely a t2w classic in the making

The status is a function of post count, so its meaningless. Anyone whose interested in such twaddle can write down the numbers at which each status is awarded on a post it note and stick it on the bathroom mirror. Hey you could even design your own version with different levels and descriptions if that floats yet boat.

Discussion of a subject of zero importance is always a prerequisite for a truly great thread, so that's one box ticked

Its great to see unsubstantiated nonsense thrown into the argument, particularly from a staff member. Unless there's some massive forex global conspiracy theory in play where brokers share account details with others in the loop, how does Tim know who is profitable, and who isn't ? Furthermore, how does he actually if these people can spell their own names ? On what data and sample size was this hypothesis based ? The threads got the unsubstantiated nonsense passed off as fact angle covered nicely

The best bit of course is the defense of agendas, particularly from the vendors without badges !

the hare,
Unless there's some massive forex global conspiracy theory in play where brokers share account details with others in the loop, how does Tim know who is profitable, and who isn't?!
I don't, but then I never said I did.

Furthermore, how does he actually if these people can spell their own names ? On what data and sample size was this hypothesis based ?!
See my reply to DT, above.

The best bit of course is the defense of agendas, particularly from the vendors without badges !
The only person with an agenda on this thread is you. And I'm sure we can arrange for you to have a vendor badge if you'd like one!
:LOL:
Tim.

The status is a function of post count, so its meaningless. Anyone whose interested in such twaddle can write down the numbers at which each status is awarded on a post it note and stick it on the bathroom mirror. Hey you could even design your own version with different levels and descriptions if that floats yet boat.

Discussion of a subject of zero importance is always a prerequisite for a truly great thread, so that's one box ticked

Its great to see unsubstantiated nonsense thrown into the argument, particularly from a staff member. Unless there's some massive forex global conspiracy theory in play where brokers share account details with others in the loop, how does Tim know who is profitable, and who isn't ? Furthermore, how does he actually if these people can spell their own names ? On what data and sample size was this hypothesis based ? The threads got the unsubstantiated nonsense passed off as fact angle covered nicely

1) 'Quality' seems to be subjective and largely based on consensus. If most people like what was written then it is classed as a good post from a knowledgable trader. Whether the content is correct or not is irrelevant. In my experience of this forum, mainstream advice is considered quality. Anything quoted directly from the latest 'How to make money trading' book (especially ones with pictures of money on the cover) is considered quality.

2) 'Profitable' is fleeting. There is one particular member in this forum I can name (but won't) who has contradicted me many times in the past on my trading advice. He has always backed it up by saying "I (he) made money by doing [this or that]" which goes against my advice. Needless to say, he has recently started a new thread where he has openly admitted to blowing a futures account.:LOL: Now he is copying another members trade in the hope of making some money...what a moron! :rolleyes:

The only person with an agenda on this thread is you. And I'm sure we can arrange for you to have a vendor badge if you'd like one!
:LOL:
Tim.

That's quite a good suggestion. We have vendors without badges, so why not non vendors with badges ?

Perhaps you could randomly assign this stuff to people when they initially join, why not it makes as much sense as the current method of working (but I would say that I suppose being an advocate of randomly doing stuff)

As you know, im in faviur if transperancy, so personally I'd introduce a new vendor without a badge status, (you can't award a badge, because then they'd have a badge, so it has to be a written status)

The status of people based on post count is a default setting of the forum software and not a bespoke choice made by T2W but as everyone has said, it is meaningless so we will look at removing it if it is easily actioned.

Vendors without badges? Shirly not. Please name and shame, you cant leave us in suspenders like this. ;)

the only way you know if somebody is any good at trading is that they post there trades as they activate them. I know nothing about Zulu trading as it appears to be currency but there seems to be a lot of discussion about certain traders.So those of us who trade the dax dow ftse should post them that way we all get a better ides who knows their stuff. I am long the ftse believe it will hit 6362 soon. I have read traders post that they cannot focus on trading if they do rubbish. we could have a Zulu trading for the indices. Excuse the grammer but I do make money.

If I had any legendary status worth having, here, when I pressed the poster's number of replies in the "replies" pop-up box. I would be able to read all his posts on that thread.

I can assure you, that some posters, who do not have,even, senior status have more interesting things to write about than the so-called "legends" .

This used to happen, otherwise I would not be asking for it to be fixed, but I've been asking for it for well over a year, now, and I doubt that it will happen.

This is the sort of thing that should be fixed. It's site maintenance. Whether, or not, posters should have recognised status is not mind shattering decision making..

To requote Tim. If it is broke, fix it or, at least, say that it can't be fixed.

Last edited:
DT,
Tim.

So let me get this right. You said this:

. Some (many) of the most insightful posts made by the site's best traders are by members who struggle to write their own name. I kid you not.

So when you said "I kid you not", you were actually kidding? You put in a comment that was not meant to be taken literally and you felt the need to put in a statement afterwards to show you were serious about it. Marvellous.

To be honest, I don't know of a single member that is retarded to the point you mention that has contributed anything of value. There have been a few people with blindingly low IQs and none of them came up with anything of merit.

I do know of a few members (e.g. Howard Cohodas) that were very articulate and absolutely clueless about trading but they were in the minority. Such people are in the minority. They are pretty easy to spot because they provide much sport here.

I see a form of reverse intellectual snobbery going on here. As if someone that is articulate should be mistrusted. To me, that message says a lot about the messenger.

I don't know any dumb traders and I do know a lot of traders. just last week, I had coffee with 4 prop traders in Singapore I was meeting for the first time. The next day an ex-prop trader. All of them were very smart and the prop firm sort of made sure they were before hiring them. If there is one quality that a trader should have, an IQ of 50 is NOT one of them.

So my advice to Purple Brain. Ignore any advice that tells you to listen only to people wot can't spel proper.

Last edited:
jus skrap staytus, tis sh1te.
nuff sed, gotta go, wurkin on inglish literacher fesis innit :LOL:

So my advice to Purple Brain. Ignore any advice that tells you to listen only to people wot can't spel proper.
That's not what I said and it's certainly not what I meant. So, I'm guilty of over egging the pudding with the 'I kid you not' comment. Big deal! I think it's obvious what I meant and emphasises the very valid point that good posts can be made by members who don't write well. That has nothing whatsoever to do with intellect; it might simply be that English isn't the 1st language of that particular member. And even if it is, how many knowledgable traders don't know the difference between 'lose' and 'loose' or 'were' and 'where'. One very high profile member who falls into this category has contributed to this very thread and is, so I believe, a very good trader. Jeez DT, if you're gonna pick a fight, at least make it about something worthwhile!
:mad:
Tim.

Last edited: