May I introduce myself.........

Hi

sorry - that wasn't clear at all - a while since I wrote this - what I meant was that unless you are a fundamentals trader - i.e. you look at the real world to make your trading decisions - the rest of us (i.e. those who speculate using systems) are at heart - just gamblers with an edge - and therefore all the normal rules of gambling apply

I actually outsource all my actual trading to a very good company in India - excellent people - having the practicalities of the trading itself taken care of I find very useful to help me focus on the job of developing systems which work

Thanks for you post....interesting.....I am new on here too and looking to find a system that isn't too complex and has resonable success rate...what would you suggest?

Thanks for you post....interesting.....I am new on here too and looking to find a system that isn't too complex and has resonable success rate...what would you suggest?

Well...................

It is a common question for new traders yet it is hard to answer.

There are millions of systems around, all of them are profitable. However, for different people only SOME of the systems work because it has to suit their own personalities.

I suggest you to read Mastering the Trade by John Carter, and try the systems inside, and see which one you like.

Hi all, I too a novice.
I find that these forum to be informative and to be honest abit overwhelming!
Hope to contribute as well in the future when I learn more about trading.

Cheers.

Help!!!

Hi pigsy / all
I am quite new to trading ( less than a month). I started trading with just £150 and on my 2nd day made roughly £100 (wow!!! I said to myself) but i soon realised that its not always like that. As of today, everything is gone. Need to see the mistakes you are going to post maybe I can learn.

By the way warm welcome to felix. I hope this forum will be of help to you?
Cheers,
olisem

Hiya felix,

A very warm welcome to our BB. You sound like you're in a similar position to me. I also have about that figure to play with, and would very much like that sort of return on my investement.

Are you wishing to trade full time, or are you like me and hold down a full time job as well?

I think when you first begin, its more important to protect your capital. Uncle is right about money management. I'll post a new thread tomorrow about the 10 biggest mistakes you can make as a new trader. That should help you a bit.

Pigsy.

Welcome to the "club" Felix. If you have 10K the first thing you need learn is "Money Management", i.e. minimising your losses. You can do this by applying strict Stop Losses to your trades. Paper trade at first till you get the feel of things, then go for it.

If you are considering Day Trading use the Chat Room where you will see what others are up to and will find helpful people there too.

Good luck to you

Hi Uncle,
Please i am interested to learn stategy for day trading from you, so please guide me as i am a new member. your experiance give me a lot :clap:

Well I am not a Newbie Felix but I am new to this site and I like it here. I like the feeling that we can all learn something from each other. So allow me to introduce myself as well.

I have been trading a little longer than I care to admit. In 1991 I wrote a book, How I Quit My Job and Turned $6,000 into a Half Million Trading. It actually took me 6 years to do that but at least I published my broker statements to prove what I had done. I also traded European money in the US stock market during the dot com boom and had quite a ride.

I like short term trading but I do not day trade.

I am now retired, but have recently returned to my roots and am experimenting with helping a couple new traders work with very small accounts in the Stock market. It is not too difficult to trade a $500,000 account but to trade a $3,000 account profitably requires enormous skill and careful strategy and I like that challenge.

As far as tools I am a TradeStation man from the go get. In 1990 I was the 46th person in the world to buy a Beta version of TradeStation. I have used all versions of that product since including the latest and greatest leased by TradeStation Securities.

But believe it or not my love remains for TradeStation 4.0 and I am currently, in November 2009, running that software flawlessly with E-Signal Data. I use XP but I have run TS 4.0 in Windows 7 as well. I track around 60 charts with multiple data streams and with complicated systems applied and TradeStation 4.0 handles this beautifully whereas everything else freezes up or has bugs.

I also must be able to correct bad data and this caused a problem for me when I was trying to work with TradeStation Securities.

I have worked with Easy Language for over 20 years but I continue to learn and experiment. When I die I do not want to go to heaven if I cannot get market data there.

Evening all,

can't believe I've just discovered this board.It appears to be a fantastic resource.
Look forward to joining in.

Me I've been buying and selling shares on an adhoc basis for the last six/severn years
Redundancy four months ago has given me time to attempt full time.

Guess you've heard it before, I was doing ok until greed and poor risk management took it's toll. Glad it happened sooner rather than later. Have quickly realised I need to treat this like a business.

Cheers
C2

If you miss the bus just catch the next one.

Re: May I introduce myself.........Gentrobert

Well...................

It is a common question for new traders yet it is hard to answer.

There are millions of systems around, all of them are profitable. However, for different people only SOME of the systems work because it has to suit their own personalities.

I suggest you to read Mastering the Trade by John Carter, and try the systems inside, and see which one you like.

Sorry I have to strongly disagree here yes there are millions of systems around, NONE of them are profitable. Please name one?

cammish2 - you are aboslutely right - its a business - and there are some golden rules...

Only risk 10% of your net worth doing this stuff - the rest needs to go into sensible investments...

Only risk 2% capital per trade - when your capital base takes more than a 10% hit - halve your leverage until you're back to break even

depending on your system - always ensure a 1:3 ratio in risk reward for each trade

and 3 of my own..

backtest for 10 years + - if you don't - you're gambling

develop your own systems - never buy others

learn to love stops - you will never be a great trader until you learn to see a trade stopping out as a postive thing

good luck!
m

I will have to respectfully disagree with just about everything savioursofpop has written. I think these golden rules are crap.

But first of all I must kind of reintroduce myself. In 1990 I wrote a manual How I Quit My Job and turned $6,000 into a Half Million Trading. It took me about six years to get to the half million in profits and I took out most of the money to live on during those six years.

When I started out my net worth was close to zero and I took out a chattel mortgage on my old car, my clothing and my furniture to borrow the $6,000. I wanted something better for myself and so I was willing to risk everything to get it. Successful speculators are risk takers and there is no comfortable way to do it. If you want to do what I did everyone will tell you that you are crazy.

I published my broker statements in my book and offered a $10,000 reward to anybody who could prove they were fakes. No takers. To my knowledge nobody has ever done this before or since.

I stopped selling stuff in about 1993 because it was too stressful listening to all the stories. But what I came away with was that very few people can follow a system and many people were born to throw their money away.

I have since gone way beyond where I was nearly 20 years ago and have actually traded over two billion dollars in trades using almost the same stuff that I used to sell.

I keep good records and none of the things I do follow the rules articulated by savioursofpop. Just one example is: my average losses are always larger that my average wins. But I win more than I lose. That is just simple math. 3:1 profit to loss ratio is the trader’s road to hell. It can’t be done.

In fact most of the stuff I read about money management and “good trading systems” is pure garbage and it is not the approach we have used for nearly two decades of profitable trading.

In fact I would submit that following the rules suggested by savioursofpop will assure that you will fail. Systems offering a 3:1 ratio will probably finish you off with the first losing trade. I have spent years researching this.

And a couple of other points: Price stops cause more losses than anything and shallow stops are worst of all. Try time stops instead.

Cutting back your exposure when you are losing will result in you cutting back just at the time your system starts winning. This has happened to me dozens of times.

I have traded millions of dollars, but my interest today, nearly 20 years after publication of my book, is, using almost the identical methodology, can it be done again? That is can you still start out with a few thousand dollars and make it to the big time? That is what I would like to test.

I am building a website at www.einsteinstocktraders.com and am putting up real time trades from a purely mechanical system twice daily to prove my hypothesis that nothing really changes about markets and there are no secrets about systems and how markets work. What worked nearly 20 years ago still works. It is really not the system, but the trader who uses the system that is the critical ingredient of profitable trading. The system is just a tool.

I have not sold one thing on this web site to date, but if my comments interest you might want to read my thoughts in a little more detail and observe our real time trading as it unfolds. I put up everything: the good, the bad and the ugly. I am not a broker or fund manager.

We have to wade through a lot of crap to get to the gold. It’s not easy, it is not for everyone, there is no Holy Grail or comfortable way to do it and there is no free lunch. But yes, it is quite possible to make a lot of money trading.

my bet is if I googled this text I'd find it on a hundred different forums - tahoeskiluv - you're selling - and as such - your presence here is about as useful as a **** on a nun...

Yes savioursofpop please google it and report your results here. Put up or shut up. If we hear nothing from you we will assume you know nothing. I do not have to engage in name calling to make a point. I have taken tens of thousands of trades and have written a lot about trading and have published my real time results.

And you can read a lot of this without buying anything.

I do not know what you have done and I certainly do not think we will hear anything from you after you have done your google thing. Trust me you will find nothing.

But I do think your golden rules are bad advice and as a trader I certainly have every right to express my opinion here and it is fitting and proper to discuss and debate those issues here.

Quite honestly I think this advice is coming from a person who has never traded.

Are you trying to create a site here where anybody with experience and opinions are subject to this kind of invective from people who have no experience?

Hi All, I'm glad I found this site as it will save me and my company a lot of aggrevation and time and, hopefully, money.

Anyone familiar with the Elliott Wave Theory?

Hi guys, I am a consistantly profitable futures trader. I don't use systems, attend courses or seminars and I don't have a website, mentor or sell anything. I just trade as my sole means of income. I personaaly think 2% risk (as in stop loss pips x stake) of capital per trade is to high for novice traders. I would suggest a novice goes for 0.5%. With that level of risk you would need 200 consecutive losing trades before your account could get wiped out. Lets face it that ain't going to happen. On the other hand you can still build up substancial profits with such a small stake. In other words you will preserve your capital (rule No 1) and sleep easy at night. I would then suggest you ignor 'Indicators' and 'Strategies'. Indicators wont make you a winning trader. They can be useful but take a lot of experimenting with and waste a lot of time. The same for strategies. The world and his wife will try to sell you a system or strategy when what you really need is something you never find in books and that is tactics - the implementation of the trading signals. Learn what tactics suit you, your personality and your risk profile. The hundreds of strategies and indicators will confuse and waste valuable time. That time is better employed learing about 'price action', 'market flow' and basic candlestick patterns. Learn how to identify when market flow is continuing or reversing, when candlesticks are reversing, when the market changes from a series of higher highs and higher low to lower highs and lower lows (your support and resistance levels). Ignor them at your perile. Learn how to identify a ranging market form a trending market or a consolidation (every traders dream - a consolidation breakout). Learn how to use stops and how (when,where & why) to place orders. Study the best times of day to trade various instruments and times to be avoided. Learn about pivot levels and their relevance to the previous days closing price or highest/lowest price. A lot of trading success is psychology so read up a bit on mental preparation for trading. Read 'Market Wizards' and pay particular attention to Ed Seykota, Larry Hite and Richard Dennis - try to get inside their heads. Above all else learn everything you can about money management. In time you may evolve a trading style that best fits you as did the market wizards. This scratches the surface and should keep you safe for a couple of years while you find out whether trading is for you. Don't think it is easy. Don't think it will be easier or quicker than starting any other business. Don't think you will make it within a few months. Don't think you have more that about a 20% chance of being a successful trader. Its a long, frustrating slog with little chance of ending up a pro. Sorry if I've shattered your dreams of quick, easy, consistant profits but sadly if it was that easy everyone would be doing it.

felixkulw, open a practice account and stick with a pair that you want to learn and obsess about... i usually stay with eur/usd or yen/usd.... get a feel for the platform and never, never, never stop learning... even the experts are beginners. Forex is risky!! but minimize the risk with due diligence!! Happy Trading!!

Hello everybody.

I am here first to see you giving knowledge about scams among the numerous net consellors.

Thank you!

cammish2 - you are aboslutely right - its a business - and there are some golden rules...

Only risk 10% of your net worth doing this stuff - the rest needs to go into sensible investments...

Only risk 2% capital per trade - when your capital base takes more than a 10% hit - halve your leverage until you're back to break even

depending on your system - always ensure a 1:3 ratio in risk reward for each trade

and 3 of my own..

backtest for 10 years + - if you don't - you're gambling

develop your own systems - never buy others

learn to love stops - you will never be a great trader until you learn to see a trade stopping out as a postive thing

good luck!
m

did you think these up all by yourself or did you read them in a book?

it would be nonsense to apply these to all people/approaches without understanding typical risk, returns, frequency etc.

did you think these up all by yourself or did you read them in a book?

it would be nonsense to apply these to all people/approaches without understanding typical risk, returns, frequency etc.

Thank you.
My word was look if some of you had specific recommandations about someone in particular for trading the stock markets, and mostly to say hello to everybody.

Re: Welcome

I'm also brand new to this forum, as today is my first day. I've been trading for 6 years, but I have not been a successful trader all that time.
The best advice I could give is to soundly develop a methodlogy on a demo platform. Make sure it has proven itself to you as your personal methodology, where you need no peipheral support.
In the mean time, forums like this are excellent to gather ideas in the formation of your methodology. One of the chief staples in my methodology is the ichimoku cloud. I learned about it through a general chat. Someone gave me some information and training concerning its usage, and it took of form there for me. I also use the stochastics as a momentum indicator, the 200 MA, and I also have a set of proprietary S&R's that I use.

Hi Felix,

Any help you need, don't be afraid to ask, you will always get an honest answer and informed opinions to any questions but remember - the decision to invest must be yours.

This is a risky business and the many stories I have heard of heavy losses from last year are frightening.

Take 'Uncles' advice, I HAVE but only after a very expensive lesson and I started with 10 times more than you.

A ludicrous decision when I had in real terms only just enrolled in the 'trading university' having paper traded for six months.

£10,000 is a nice figure but guard it as though it is a million and you will learn fast.

Good Luck

Cookie