market direction

technical are lagging indicators to fundamentals. alot of these markets im sure there are some good technical reasons for them, chart patterns etc. but i was in before said signals were there!

Sure but this dude and his 'company' are probably banging the bid/offer and getting out in a couple of seconds after an economic announcement. Would you call that fundamental analysis? It's just chasing after a bunch of other scalpers that tried to hit the bid at the same time.

Like I said, I'm not arguing for or against TA or FA.

Im beginning to wonder if there is any need for synthetics/protective options in forex. Certainly for commodities due to large gap ups/lock limits etc. But in reality FX doesn't gap that much, maybe recently but for a position trader 170 pips is normal drawdown....reading Bill Lipschutz here and thinking i may start a scale in/scale out plan..... any thoughts?

is it possble to adjust your risk by going long and short the same market adding/dropping contracts and weighting position accordingly. It would take a lot of maintenance for each trade but maybe you could save on charges vs premiumd paid and you'd be delta one rather than running gamma risk no?

good question. NO!

"is it possble to adjust your risk by going long and short the same market adding/dropping contracts and weighting position accordingly"

is it possble to adjust your risk by going long and short the same market adding/dropping contracts and weighting position accordingly. It would take a lot of maintenance for each trade but maybe you could save on charges vs premiumd paid and you'd be delta one rather than running gamma risk no?
first of all commissions on that, if you were position trading would be quite costly. secondly if you hedge with an option once it goes above strike price + premium your profit isn't limited.whereas if you were long 10 contracts and short 5 contracts and would always be limited to +5 net long. Plus in the event of scary volatility/gaps you don't get the advantage of your option premium getting rather juicy.

its not just about protecting against gaps, but being able to adjust your risk easier

When i can afford spot forex options i certainly will do, just being able to trade with not too much focus on entry and risk absolutely capped, although at the expense of some profits, would be nice.

I was thinking gold short might be good around 1245/50, down to around 1200 area with wide stop. I haven't checked the options but imagine they are a bit expensive for the time being.

Peter

Pat self on back. Once in a while I get one right :LOL:

Peter

gold was a good short, pissed off i decided not to take it.

but busy this week, moving house and buying new cars and **** not got much time for the thread!

Germans have it absolutely spot on this time!!!

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/merkel-to-campaign-for-markets-tax-at-g20-afp-dcc866f505b0.html?x=0

Would love to see many IB's shut down - and NO bail out this time around!!!!

There's been talk here in the US of a transaction tax 0.25% of notational value on both sides of the trade. Would totally kill daytrading. Fookin politicians claim wall st created this mess so a tax would help clean it up or some such bull****. Retail traders didn't create any mess but thats who is targeted!. Probably want to give Goldman Sachs an exemption too. Fookin politicians.

Peter

There's been talk here in the US of a transaction tax 0.25% of notational value on both sides of the trade. Would totally kill daytrading. Fookin politicians claim wall st created this mess so a tax would help clean it up or some such bull****. Retail traders didn't create any mess but thats who is targeted!. Probably want to give Goldman Sachs an exemption too. Fookin politicians.

Peter

Why is it that for politicians the solution to all problems is a tax.
Either that or a war (with of course more tax to finance that war).

@N Rothschild:

Have you ever looked at the COT stuff done by Larry Williams?

Opinion on him seems to be divided between his being the greatest trading god ever, to being a snake-oil salesman. I don't know that much about him really, so I have an open mind, but his COT stuff looks interesting. While looking for MT4 versions of his indicators, I came across this:

http://articles.mql4.com/867 and also:
http://www.mql5.com/en/articles/34

(The Metacot Project).

Also looks pretty interesting, although a fair amount of work and organisation getting all the stuff together correctly, and then you still have to trade it properly.

Yes, it's indicators, but it's fundamentals-based (well, -ish, sort of).

His "Will Go" indicator is also fundamentals-based, though that is for stocks and bonds rather than commodities.