Looking for good price reversal signal

Tradingkid

I have used some of the existing signals - all seem to blow with the wind - no steadfast signal of an immenent price reversal - have tried a few trend indicators, but all are lagging and kind of bad calls - get the feeling if I use these I am gambling - somehow somewhere there has to be a good indicator for the high or low having been reached (5 or 15 M chart preferably) which is more than an educated guess -
Is there?
Any one?
Anything?
Thank you

(reasonably new at forex)

I have used some of the existing signals - all seem to blow with the wind - no steadfast signal of an immenent price reversal - have tried a few trend indicators, but all are lagging and kind of bad calls - get the feeling if I use these I am gambling - somehow somewhere there has to be a good indicator for the high or low having been reached (5 or 15 M chart preferably) which is more than an educated guess -
Is there?
Any one?
Anything?
Thank you

(reasonably new at forex)

Have you considered using divergence and extreme levels at oscillator readings as part of a trigger at areas that you pre-identify that may offer support or resistance...this can be done on any time frames.

This morning in gbpusd was a good example, where various patterns of scillator extremes and regular bullish divergence set-up at today's current lows...1min and 5min were oscillator extremes whereas 15min 30min and 1hr were regular bullish divergence.

Oscillator divergence can turn a lagging momentum indicator into a potentiually leading one and as you will see below I have identified various repeating patterns of osc div/extremes with bol, bands that measure volatility....identify such patterns your self and remember that extreme levels/div is most valid at potential supp/res and that acvtual price action should be your trigger for entry to market. The more t/f's above your t/f you used as the trigger for entry with such osc div/extremes patterns, the more your potential target should be, bearing in mind that if counter-trend trading you should make the working assumption that it is a pullback until price action on succeeding t/f's tells you otherwise. Once in a trade Price action trumps all else.

G/L

1min
21czeps.jpg

5min
14docj6.jpg

15min
2na1ohk.jpg

30min
29f9zye.jpg

1hr
2mga8o1.jpg

more recent eg

Look more recently in gbpusd, we had a prev 1hr swing lo zone=prev support=potential resistance )sbr) with 76.4% fib of the 5206-4977 drop annd also Mni 93rd party info provider) were touting offers 5150/55...also price had exceeded it's 20day average pip range...so right there we had a potential resistance confluence...so on 1min and 5min we had regular bearish divergence pattern and a 5min pinbar as a trigger to sell against the prevailing intraday sentiment...

Remember confluence is king

5min
11u9kyb.jpg

1hr
mh7eyw.jpg

Good advice re post above....Just be aware re divergence that you can also get hidden (sometimes called reverse or trend) divergence too to help you get back with a trend after a pullback...see 5min below, price pulls back to a prev minor 5min swing hi=prev res=potential support (rbs) and 5min sets-up with hidden divergence and 2 x doji candles combo as the trigger....and we get a nice 'with trend' run up to a margianl new trend Hi.

Enough said on divergence Lol - G/L in your search

2eb7ek7.jpg

Last edited:
agreed....this can be a great thread..by compzring each others thoughts and methods,we can arrive at a method that has a very high strike rate

do you not see the fallacy of you question ?
if such a device existed, we'd all be using it and we'd all be multi-millionaires overnight

let me spell it out for you: THERE IS NO HOLY GRAIL !!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a good point, but that doesn't mean to say that there are not technical tools at our disposal from which we can develop a trading edge. A trading edge can therefore be the ' Holy Grail. '

Good advice re post above....Just be aware re divergence that you can also get hidden (sometimes called reverse or trend) divergence too to help you get back with a trend after a pullback...see 5min below, price pulls back to a prev minor 5min swing hi=prev res=potential support (rbs) and 5min sets-up with hidden divergence and 2 x doji candles combo as the trigger....and we get a nice 'with trend' run up to a margianl new trend Hi.

Enough said on divergence Lol - G/L in your search

2eb7ek7.jpg

Hi bbmac,
Great stuff on divergence. You have given me some good insights. I have been using Stoch divergence as my ONLY entry signal. Works great on tick chart for smaller TF trading, except in trends.

So far the way I have handled countertrend trades, is with entry only on multiple signals in a short span of time(I use tick charts)

Thanks,

SDG

It's a good point, but that doesn't mean to say that there are not technical tools at our disposal from which we can develop a trading edge. A trading edge can therefore be the ' Holy Grail. '

As a legendary member I had anticipated that you may undestand that as a recent starter I have but limited knowledge of good or bad indicators - I WAS NOT LOOKING FOR A HOLY GRAIL - OR SARCASM - I was seeking to improve what I have which is of a choice limited by my lack of experience - so my search is for improvement - you have made your point with the very complicated charts and al sorts of explanations for which I thank you, and it makes the right impression for sure - you are very good- but at this time fib and the likes of elliot waves are still beyond me - I am still at the BB and Stochs stage.
Thank you for taking the time to answer.

As a legendary member I had anticipated that you may undestand that as a recent starter I have but limited knowledge of good or bad indicators - I WAS NOT LOOKING FOR A HOLY GRAIL - OR SARCASM - I was seeking to improve what I have which is of a choice limited by my lack of experience - so my search is for improvement - you have made your point with the very complicated charts and al sorts of explanations for which I thank you, and it makes the right impression for sure - you are very good- but at this time fib and the likes of elliot waves are still beyond me - I am still at the BB and Stochs stage.
Thank you for taking the time to answer.

It was not me that made the original reference to a 'holy grail' Ibut I did respond to that post by suggesting that a trading edge can actually be the holy grail - ie a positive post....Thats the trouble with trying to help-the reward is so often a kick in the teeth Lol !!

G/L

TK, did you check the video link in my previous post ?
did you read what I wrote in PM ?

i believe you should ditch the Stochs etc asap .....

best of luck

PIN bars as described on forexfactory by james16 are a starting point, especially at a support or resistance level and better still with divergence as well. See attached for a perfect example.

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 535
i think,first of all,you have to decide what method to show a reversal
it could be
1.candle/bar chart pattern
2.oscillator pattern
3.price action pattern.ie p/f,renko,3 line break
4.other technical indectaors.ie ma"s
5.trendline break
i think we should classify each one according to what it shows
if there are any i have left out..then let me know

Last edited:
It was not me that made the original reference to a 'holy grail' Ibut I did respond to that post by suggesting that a trading edge can actually be the holy grail - ie a positive post....Thats the trouble with trying to help-the reward is so often a kick in the teeth Lol !!

G/L
I regret the error and thank you for your input and understanding. It wasnot my intention to give any one a kick in the teeeth - I came looking for assitance.
I hope we can communicate some more from which I may learn.
Thank you

For those of you who trade the MACD divergence, here is a custom indicator that is really nice, gives you more info than the standard mt4 MACD.
Regards,
Kent

Attachments

• Custom MACD.ex4
    3.2 KB · Views: 304