Lock older Threads after no more posts for several months?

Quantt

Experienced member
How about this idea, can you gals/guys think about locking older threads so no more posting will be allowed? Maybe if no one is posting for a let's say 3 months or whatever...

It is getting confused when people are answering to someone posting a question 10 years ago...

And if the topic is of interest again after so many years, one can always open a new thread, this will also eliminate the long-long threads that no one will bother read from the begging...

Let me know what do you think...

Thanks for the suggestion Quantt. I can see pros and cons to doing automating locking. The pros you've mentioned some, on the cons, sometimes great threads go quiet for a few months, but you don't necessarily want the overhead of continuing the discussion on a second thread and then trying to refer back to the original one. Also having multiple threads on the same topic can fragment the discussion. Finally there might be members who wish to be notified of any further comments on a discussion, but with locking, they would have no easy way to receive further updates on a new topic.

Thanks for the suggestion Quantt. I can see pros and cons to doing automating locking. The pros you've mentioned some, on the cons, sometimes great threads go quiet for a few months, but you don't necessarily want the overhead of continuing the discussion on a second thread and then trying to refer back to the original one. Also having multiple threads on the same topic can fragment the discussion. Finally there might be members who wish to be notified of any further comments on a discussion, but with locking, they would have no easy way to receive further updates on a new topic.

Thanks for the quick replay and for the counter points... makes sense either way, but the notification is something I did not consider... Cheers!