Best Thread Live Cable Trading

FetteredChinos said:
yup, im trying out a few ideas... going back to the simple S&R and trendlines....

nothing else..

Cable seems to get down from 1.7450. What about your call !!

If I may, I'd like to ask you busy forex traders if there are any reasons why you prefer your product(s) over, say, indices. Personally I prefer the latter because there is more subsidiary information available to help make a decision, for instance - volume, breadth and other market internals, TICK, other correlated (or not) indices / sectors, open interest, VIX, put/call ratio, investor sentiment readings etc. I also have a better understandimg of how the institutions' order flow affects the stock market, while not having any idea what the big boys of forex might be up to.

I just find cable a bit "isolated" and feel like to trade it is almost to choose to make the challenge more difficult, especially around the news when savage moves are likely.

Why am I wrong? Does the volatility and penchant of cable to trend for longer overcome these disadvantages? Perhaps it's just a matter of personal preference and available trading hours.

frugs,

I agree on the advantages of trading the indices (the Dow and FTSE are relatively predictable, not tried the others too much) but in terms of movement, Cable is big old beast..

during the quiet periods you can get 10-20 pips movement as a minimum... during the quiet periods on the indices you can get sometimes 1-3 on the FTSE...

i know which i would rather trade..

sadly, i havent quite got a proper handle (if you would pardon the pun) on FX, but more time spent learning it will help..

FC

frugi said:
If I may, I'd like to ask you busy forex traders if there are any reasons why you prefer your product(s) over, say, indices. Personally I prefer the latter because there is more subsidiary information available to help make a decision, for instance - volume, breadth and other market internals, TICK, other correlated (or not) indices / sectors, open interest, VIX, put/call ratio, investor sentiment readings etc. I also have a better understandimg of how the institutions' order flow affects the stock market, while not having any idea what the big boys of forex might be up to.

I just find cable a bit "isolated" and feel like to trade it is almost to choose to make the challenge more difficult, especially around the news when savage moves are likely.

Why am I wrong? Does the volatility and penchant of cable to trend for longer overcome these disadvantages? Perhaps it's just a matter of personal preference and available trading hours.

One word Frugi..VOLATILITY!!

frugi said:

Indies are exchange traded, the markets are more orderly.
FX on globex can get out of line with underling cash markets and you can get slippage.
The other major difference is that FX trades around the clock, you can sometimes get
big moves in the middle of night.
A good advantage of FX is that you dont get bear markets. And there is no
bias to either the short or long side. As the equity markets are rigged to the upside, they arent
as good to trade in bear markets, although bear market rallies (like the one are the Iraq war)
can be highly profitable.

My 7312 long..just gets better and better :cheesy: . Moved stop on 1 lot to 7442 and the other I'll let run

grr stopped out for -38... -53 for the day thus far, not including the overnight longs..

waiting for a touch of the trendline before going long yet again....

zuke said:
My 7312 long..just gets better and better :cheesy: . Moved stop on 1 lot to 7442 and the other I'll let run

You are having a great day :cheesy: wish I had not slept throug the morning :eek: but hey I can't complain not bad. I need to learn how to be patient and not jump out of trades. I will get there.

and out at 1.7520 for +24...

-29 for the day session, +71 since yesterday afternoon, but that doesnt count on here..;)

FC

Baruch

Have been followig your posts for a while now. decided to make the effort and get up early this morning and get in on the "Big Ben" action. What a ride - 30pips so far!

looks like no more late nights!

Look forward to more of your wisdom!

purplekiwi

Baruch said:
The Big Ben move has started just on time...

Would someone please explain what exactly the Big Ben strat is ? I thought you traded the breakout of the range between 0700 and 0800, (7511 and 7485).

:confused:

Thanks !

purplekiwi said:
Baruch

Have been followig your posts for a while now. decided to make the effort and get up early this morning and get in on the "Big Ben" action. What a ride - 30pips so far!

looks like no more late nights!

Look forward to more of your wisdom!

purplekiwi

Thank you. My Big Ben-trades is a side-show. Most of the time I trade the news (when there are any...). :cheesy:

Zinger said:
Would someone please explain what exactly the Big Ben strat is ? I thought you traded the breakout of the range between 0700 and 0800, (7511 and 7485).

:confused:

Thanks !

I really don't know what the Ben Bin method is in details. I just heard the name, and found that it sounded good. Maybe I should call my method for the Baruch method? :cheesy: My method is: Join the morning move between 7.00 and 8.00 in the morning, when London and Frankfurt opens. If there is a range, join the breakout. If there is no real range (like today) join the move, if it breaks support.
It's very simple - and profitable... :LOL: