Latency, location and connection

Jking556

Hi all

So to start im based in the UK. I'm using AMP futures which is American. I use a CQG connection and am looking to trade oil.
It is my belief that the ICE Europe brent exchange is based in London?
I ask this because my internet connection takes 30ms to hit a server in London. Whereas it takes 125ms to hit one in America. This to me suggests I would be better off trading Brent in the UK rather than WTI on the Nymex?
Cqg is direct market access, it's my belief that my order goes straight to the exchange and wouldn't have to be routed to AMP in America and then sent on the exchange, is that correct?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Hi all

So to start im based in the UK. I'm using AMP futures which is American. I use a CQG connection and am looking to trade oil.
I ask this because my internet connection takes 30ms to hit a server in London. Whereas it takes 125ms to hit one in America. This to me suggests I would be better off trading Brent in the UK rather than WTI on the Nymex?
Cqg is direct market access, it's my belief that my order goes straight to the exchange and wouldn't have to be routed to AMP in America and then sent on the exchange, is that correct?

it's a matter routing time need before your entry accepted, 30 ms or 125ms.
as long as you goes with non-scalping method, to trade with WTI doesnt much matter. try to compare with london based broker server. besides internet connection are not the only thing affect latency, your broker liqudity provider seem to a most part of such latency.

Hi all

I would suspect it is more down to the Broker.

I wouldn't worry too much unless you scalp on a very small time frame or you are a high frequency trader looking to get an edge ;)!!!

@Jking556 what is the hostname (or IP address) of the server in London?

Also if you can turn off Wi-Fi and connect via a standard CAT5 cable you'll get a faster connection.