Kids today ????

Pat494

Legendary member
This world is getting ever more complex and so kids today need guidance on life's problems i.e. an extra class.
That extra class could be made extra interesting by teaching all those things one should know when growing up. Like sex education, teenage medical/mental problems, money management, what-career-do you-fancy with trips to a real mine, office etc., public speaking, nutrition, various religions/philosophies of life, self defence. In fact what most teachers and parents never get around to teaching and are so important.

straighten out the confused and misguided BEFORE they become drug addicts, terrorists or criminals imho and reward the good.

:smart::smart::smart::smart::smart::smart::smart::smart::smart::smart:

In fact what most teachers and parents never get around to teaching and are so important.

straighten out the confused and misguided BEFORE they become drug addicts, terrorists or criminals imho and reward the good.

You should start with the parents, they are the misguided ones. Anyone can be a parent, no qualifications required..start their education.
Thats what we're missing Pat, the role model, the guidance us kids should be getting from an early age. I dont need more education, I need guidance, leadership, a mentor in my life as i grow up. But instead I have to learn from my own mistakes..its a f****d up world we live in

There were not the drug problems around when I was a kid, so it was not one that my parents had to contend with. The drug industry has tentacles stretching into all walks of life and no one knows how one's kids are going to end up.

Once drugs come into the equation, it becomes the kid's problem and all morals go out the door in a desperate effort to find the money to pay for them. They will rob their own parents to get it.

I am very fortunate with my middle aged kids, I went to my grandson's 12th birthday party yesterday and all his cousins were there. They looked great. The eldest of them has just become a doctor at 25.

It is family life, to be sure, but the drug problem can always raise its ugly head. Any one of those young people that I saw yesterday could become a victim.

Take them to a mine? I thought you said Thatcher closed them all.

Don't blame the kids' behaviour on Thatcher, please!

It seems to me that it is typical of the human being that he blames someone for his problems and then sits back, happy that he has exonerated himself.

It's Thatcher! That's ok, then. Done and dusted.

You should start with the parents, they are the misguided ones. Anyone can be a parent, no qualifications required..start their education.
Thats what we're missing Pat, the role model, the guidance us kids should be getting from an early age. I dont need more education, I need guidance, leadership, a mentor in my life as i grow up. But instead I have to learn from my own mistakes..its a f****d up world we live in

Unfortunately we humans are so corrupted the ideal role model is either unreal like God or almost out of sight, so as not to see the warts and all. Perhaps dodging life's potholes is a part of the pleasure/agony.

You are right, it's that there are not many around. Pop stars, footballers ?? Probably not 100%.

Life is an illusion.....everything is cause and effect.

Let me share an insight with you all in the film Matrix Reloaded where Neo was speaking to the oracle in the courtyard:
Neo: I suppose the most obvious question is, how can I trust you?
Oracle: Bingo. It is a pickle, no doubt about it, bad news is there’s no way of you could really know whether I could help you or not, so it’s really up to you, just have to make up your own dam mind to either accept what I am going to tell you or reject it. Candy?
Neo: You already know if I am going to take it?
Oracle: Wouldn’t be much of an oracle if I didn’t.
Neo: But if you already know, how can I make a choice?
Oracle: Because you didn’t come here to make the choice, you’ve already made it. You’re here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you would have figured that out already.

Kids don't really have a choice nor do adults.....as we are all CONDITIONED.

Life is an illusion.....everything is cause and effect.

Let me share an insight with you all in the film Matrix Reloaded where Neo was speaking to the oracle in the courtyard:
Neo: I suppose the most obvious question is, how can I trust you?
Oracle: Bingo. It is a pickle, no doubt about it, bad news is there’s no way of you could really know whether I could help you or not, so it’s really up to you, just have to make up your own dam mind to either accept what I am going to tell you or reject it. Candy?
Neo: You already know if I am going to take it?
Oracle: Wouldn’t be much of an oracle if I didn’t.
Neo: But if you already know, how can I make a choice?
Oracle: Because you didn’t come here to make the choice, you’ve already made it. You’re here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you would have figured that out already.

Kids don't really have a choice nor do adults.....as we are all CONDITIONED.

I believe that we do have a choice. I can go back through my life, as I am sure that all of you can, and pinpoint the point that deviated me from the path that I was, already, on. I chose my career. I chose to leave my career and do something else. I chose to settle in Spain.

The point is that, once having taken that choice one is likely to blame circumstances when things go wrong, when the potholes were there to be seen all along, from the beginning.

In any case, the kids that I see every day are ok, if there are no drugs around. Drugs are the most evil thing to hit the civilised world, ever, and anyone selling them---the death penalty with no qualms, on my part-

If everything is thought out to make life straight and easy I think we would be bored !! Because natural life is a rough and tumble it is interesting and crucially varied. Not one size fits all as per communism. 99.99999 % die and are soon forgotten. They lived and then died.

Difficult indeed.

If everything is thought out to make life straight and easy I think we would be bored !! Because natural life is a rough and tumble it is interesting and crucially varied. Not one size fits all as per communism. 99.99999 % die and are soon forgotten. They lived and then died.

Difficult indeed.

Kids take drugs to fill a hole in their lives.

Can be love, rejection, excitement, boredom whatever.

A friend once told me there was nothing wrong with heroin or any form of tripping. It's coming out that was the issue. At the time I thought he was talking rubbish.

But didn't recently that multi-billionaire heiress die of an overdose.

Had they not been taking drugs most of their lives?

Not sure if they had children but they could afford the drugs and the rest and so whilst everyone knew nobody really did anything. It was a life style choice.

I don't see anything wrong with it really. I would give out for free from chemists.

Most of the problem with drugs are to do with secondary crime in trying to meet need.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_liberalization

Our approach to most things are messed up.

ie. So easy to get married and so damn difficult to get divorced. Some body came out with a slot machine that dishes out a certificate for a Dollar or something.

Bit like buying a drive in burger. Drive in marriage.

As Maluguti said - you need a license to keep a dog but not one to have children. :eek:

Last edited:
In any case, the kids that I see every day are ok, if there are no drugs around. Drugs are the most evil thing to hit the civilised world, ever, and anyone selling them---the death penalty with no qualms, on my part-

Do you drink or smoke?

Do you drink or smoke?

I think that you are asking me so as to condone drug use but, yes, I drink a can of beer per day, sometimes two on weekends. Wine on special days. Have not touched spirits in years. Stopped smoking 48 years ago, when I was 33.

Drug addiction is a terrible thing and heartbreaking for parents to have to deal with. It's sign of decadency in a civilisation and, IMO, unfriendly nations use it as a means to wage war. Drugdealers have no pity and, when caught, should be put down. The world is too full of people, as it is. and there is no room for them.

That is my view and I am unlikely to change it at this time of life.

Those who say that drugs should be legalised do so because they see no other solution. Maybe, they are right and it would help solve the problem but it means that we are condoning drug use. I do not advise any government to go down that road and, neither, would I vote for it.

BTW, so as not to go off topic. Drugs are, probably, the main cause of juvenile delinquency, not necessaily parents,

Last edited:
I think that you are asking me so as to condone drug use but, yes, I drink a can of beer per day, sometimes two on weekends. Wine on special days. Have not touched spirits in years. Stopped smoking 48 years ago, when I was 33.

Drug addiction is a terrible thing and heartbreaking for parents to have to deal with. It's sign of decadency in a civilisation and, IMO, unfriendly nations use it as a means to wage war. Drugdealers have no pity and, when caught, should be put down. The world is too full of people, as it is. and there is no room for them.

Those who say that drugs should be legalised do so because they see no other solution. Maybe, they are right and it would help solve the problem but it means that we are condoning drug use. I do not advise any government to go down that road and, neither, would I vote for it.

BTW, so as not to go off topic. Drugs are, probably, the main cause of juvenile delinquency, not necessaily parents,

So you're a drug user. Me too. I'm a productive member of society and certainly not evil. What about you?

The issue here is your perception ( and indeed that of most of society.) You are perfectly comfortable with this and that drug, but for some reason not with the rest.

What I believe is evil, is being told what I can or cannot put into my own body. Heck, isn't it illegal to take your own life? I guess the government owns that too (at this point I could bring up the governments 'cash for killing' scheme aka the Care Pathway in the NHS, but nevermind.)

.....Drugdealers have no pity and, when caught, should be put down. The world is too full of people, as it is. and there is no room for them.

Is there no compassion anywhere to be found within ourselves? What gives us the right to decide who to live or die?
People can find themselves in positions/situations not because they want to, merely because it was the right conditions that led them to be where they are. It is not that they are in control of the situation but are in controlled by it.
Moreover, a person can change either for better or worse and people CAN change! We all live in a life of delusion and the main problem here is we do no see this yet so we don't admit it and CHANGE for the better!

There is a saying: Even though we have eyes, we are clearly blind!"

So you're a drug user. Me too. I'm a productive member of society and certainly not evil. What about you?

The issue here is your perception ( and indeed that of most of society.) You are perfectly comfortable with this and that drug, but for some reason not with the rest.

What I believe is evil, is being told what I can or cannot put into my own body. Heck, isn't it illegal to take your own life? I guess the government owns that too (at this point I could bring up the governments 'cash for killing' scheme aka the Care Pathway in the NHS, but nevermind.)

Look again. I never said that an addict is evil. I said that drugdealers are.

What you are saying, then, is that a drugdealer sells an addictive substance to an addict and, then, says "It's not my fault if he robs someone to pay for his addiction--I just supply the stuff." It's like compulsive gambling or getting into serious debt and is, also, the argument of the gun lobby in the States- Anyone who does what he likes with his own body has no right to go to the taxpayer, afterwards, for help, Unfortunately, they do, though. Neither, should an individual's rights infringe on the rights of society, as a whole.

This "rights" argument is fine, on the surface, but it has its drawbacks, too, mostly for other people.

This thread is not about anything except why kids are not as civilised as they used to be and whose fault is it? I have given my opinion that the main cause is drug use. You are right. Whether you commit suicide is none of my business.

Look again. I never said that an addict is evil. I said that drugdealers are.

What you are saying, then, is that a drugdealer sells an addictive substance to an addict and, then, says "It's not my fault if he robs someone to pay for his addiction--I just supply the stuff." It's like compulsive gambling or getting into serious debt and is, also, the argument of the gun lobby in the States- Anyone who does what he likes with his own body has no right to go to the taxpayer, afterwards, for help, Unfortunately, they do, though. Neither, should an individual's rights infringe on the rights of society, as a whole.

This "rights" argument is fine, on the surface, but it has its drawbacks, too, mostly for other people.

This thread is not about anything except why kids are not as civilised as they used to be and whose fault is it? I have given my opinion that the main cause is drug use. You are right. Whether you commit suicide is none of my business.

Ok this is off topic but I'll just say a few quick things and leave it at that.

Depends entirely upon what 'right' someone refers to. If a so-called 'right' imposes a demand on someone else, there is obvious issue there. That applies to anything and everything. For example, you have a right to have a child (pretty sure this will fall under a 'natural right,') but surely no right to then have others forced to pay for it.

On your last point, which I find ironic, is that you say someone's decision to off themselves is none of your business. Well jees Splintlink, you want to concern yourself with what people put up their noses, what they smoke, bake into cookies, but then not when they want to top themselves?

Part of your argument is off the cost to society (see what I mentioned about 'rights.') Well should we forcibly exercise people? Monitor calorie intake? Monitor risk taking? Where does it end? What about the lost productivity of those who kill themselves? Surely that is cause to make it your business?

Last edited:
sex education,
teenage medical/mental problems,
money management,
what-career-do you-fancy with trips to a real mine, office etc.,
public speaking,
nutrition,
various religions/philosophies of life,
self defence.

I dont know about you but i got taught nearly all that stuff at school, even had a trip to the london stock exchange.
Most kids just dont pay enough attention or just dont seem to be interested, but i dont think that a particular problem with 'todays' kids.

Ok this is off topic but I'll just say a few quick things and leave it at that.

Depends entirely upon what 'right' someone refers to. If a so-called 'right' imposes a demand on someone else, there is obvious issue there. That applies to anything and everything. For example, you have a right to have a child (pretty sure this will fall under a 'natural right,') but surely no right to then have others forced to pay for it.

On your last point, which I find ironic, is that you say someone's decision to off themselves is none of your business. Well jees Splintlink, you want to concern yourself with what people put up their noses, what they smoke, bake into cookies, but then not when they want to top themselves?

Part of your argument is off the cost to society (see what I mentioned about 'rights.') Well should we forcibly exercise people? Monitor calorie intake? Monitor risk taking? Where does it end? What about the lost productivity of those who kill themselves? Surely that is cause to make it your business?

That is the point. It never ends, but it can't be all perfect in this world and I have a general opinion on how the way things should be. You don't agree? That is your right.