Journalistic experience of Training seminars

An account by a Guardian journalist attending various "how to trade seminars".

Some familair names are mentioned: Greg Secker / Darren Winters / The Wealth Training Company / Knowledge to Action / Investment Mastery /

Trialling 'learn to trade' stock market websites: can you get rich quick? | Money | The Guardian

His conclusion? - "What I've concluded is that the learn-to-trade industry is an expensive way to mug up on information that is often found on the web for free."

Always place the same number of trades long (speculating that prices will rise) and short (that they'll fall) so you're covered whichever way the market goes. And never forget to use a "stop loss" to minimise any losses.

lol...

"There is very little real trading going on there," he said, in a recorded interview. "The so-called professional traders haven't come from investment banks. They are more likely to be ex-double glazing salesmen."

Jees John (Bartlett) owes me a beer for referring him........I spent an hour talking to david the journalist and didnt even get a mention ......hahahaha

N

Like this bit:

"Beginners can learn to trade," says Justin Urquhart Stewart of London-based asset management firm Seven Investment Management. "But it's a bit like giving the chemistry set to the children. They might be able to do a couple of things but they're also quite likely to set fire to the carpet."

Of course, the one question the journo should have asked is why these people run courses in grubby hotel rooms if they could get rich from trading.

Like this bit:

"Beginners can learn to trade," says Justin Urquhart Stewart of London-based asset management firm Seven Investment Management. "But it's a bit like giving the chemistry set to the children. They might be able to do a couple of things but they're also quite likely to set fire to the carpet."

Of course, the one question the journo should have asked is why these people run courses in grubby hotel rooms if they could get rich from trading.

I agree. They should use posh hotel rooms instead. Then I'd sign up for the free seminar just to get a 50% discount on a room for a few nights. (y)

Peter

pete - you'd get thrown out of the Sellinar and the hotel in the first 15 minutes though ...............as I usually do

hahahahaha
N

I've uploaded a file copy of the Guardian web article in case the link expires. This should be required reading for all starters. My favourite quote from the article is

"Knowledge to Action's "trading floor" has space to teach beginners, Singh says – and with the right training a "rookie trader" can soon pull in £2,000 a week. "Anyone can do it," he says".

It would be interesting to hear from any participants of their experiences.

Attachments

• Trialling 'learn to trade' stock market websites can you get rich quick Money The Guardian.htm
    164.5 KB · Views: 1,680
Thanks Gents -- glad you liked the article.

I did ask Investment Mastery's Marcus de Maria why, if he was so good at trading, why wasn't he trading and he said: a) they do trade (a bit) in the trading room in his offices (which I've seen. it does exist) and b) he's in the process of setting up a fund.

I found him the most transparent and honest of the 3 trading gurus I profiled. Far less bull**** and hype. I would have asked Darren Winters and Greg Secker the same but they really don't like nosy journalists.

Cheers
David

I did ask Investment Mastery's Marcus de Maria why, if he was so good at trading, why wasn't he trading and he said: a) they do trade (a bit) in the trading room in his offices (which I've seen. it does exist) and b) he's in the process of setting up a fund.

I found him the most transparent and honest of the 3 trading gurus I profiled. Far less bull**** and hype. I would have asked Darren Winters and Greg Secker the same but they really don't like nosy journalists.

Cheers
David

Much enjoyed the provision of the comedy link by Knowledge to Action - Learn To Trade - Review Site

It really bothers me when people write shill-esque reviews of their own product yet put so little effort into them. Three lines of superlatives. Full stop. Send. Prosecco down All Bar Sh*t.

Often they hire them from Freelancer.co.uk for a few quid a go and the standard of English is horrendous. God I hate this industry.

Hi David,
Yes indeed, your article is everything one would hope and expect from a Guardian journalist!
(y)

I've taken the liberty of linking to it in post #3 (under the heading 'External Links') in this FAQ: How Can I Distinguish Between Scams and Reputable Vendors? Three questions if I may:
1. Is that link good indefinitely - or will the paper remove it at some point? If so, is there another way I can link to it so future members can read it?
2. Do you have plans to follow the article up with further experiences of learning to trade with other organisations?
3. Lastly, are you planning on trading using the ideas and techniques that you've learnt and, if so, will your readers be able to follow your progress?
Cheers,
Tim.

Hi David,
Yes indeed, your article is everything one would hope and expect from a Guardian journalist!
(y)

I've taken the liberty of linking to it in post #3 (under the heading 'External Links') in this FAQ: How Can I Distinguish Between Scams and Reputable Vendors? Three questions if I may:
1. Is that link good indefinitely - or will the paper remove it at some point? If so, is there another way I can link to it so future members can read it?
2. Do you have plans to follow the article up with further experiences of learning to trade with other organisations?
3. Lastly, are you planning on trading using the ideas and techniques that you've learnt and, if so, will your readers be able to follow your progress?
Cheers,
Tim.

Well thank you. In answer to your questions: 1) the link should be good indefinitely (but do feel free to cut and paste article. As long as you credit the Guardian that should be fine). 2&3) I'd like to write a follow-up on the world of forex but would need green light from editors/bosses. It may or may not happen. I am going to continue trading... a story allowing readers to follow my progress might be tricky though. Cheers. David

I am going to continue trading... a story allowing readers to follow my progress might be tricky though.
Hi David,
Thanks for the swift reply.

Regarding your own trading, you could start a journal here on T2W. Check out this Sticky for details: Essentials Of 'Trading Journals' From your point of view, you'll be able to contrast and compare the paid for info' from the education vendors you've encountered - and the free material available here and elsewhere. Not to mention the help and advice you'll receive from our members, some of whom are experienced market veterans.
;)
Tim.

Hi David,
Thanks for the swift reply.

Regarding your own trading, you could start a journal here on T2W. Check out this Sticky for details: Essentials Of 'Trading Journals' From your point of view, you'll be able to contrast and compare the paid for info' from the education vendors you've encountered - and the free material available here and elsewhere. Not to mention the help and advice you'll receive from our members, some of whom are experienced market veterans.
;)
Tim.

Good idea, if you can cope with not getting paid for writing something!

Well thank you. In answer to your questions: 1) the link should be good indefinitely (but do feel free to cut and paste article. As long as you credit the Guardian that should be fine). 2&3) I'd like to write a follow-up on the world of forex but would need green light from editors/bosses. It may or may not happen. I am going to continue trading... a story allowing readers to follow my progress might be tricky though. Cheers. David

Good luck David..........you know where we all are :cool:

N

Much enjoyed the provision of the comedy link by Knowledge to Action - Learn To Trade - Review Site

It really bothers me when people write shill-esque reviews of their own product yet put so little effort into them. Three lines of superlatives. Full stop. Send. Prosecco down All Bar Sh*t.

Often they hire them from Freelancer.co.uk for a few quid a go and the standard of English is horrendous. God I hate this industry.

Freelancer.com is a nightmare ...........I've used programmers from there before with mixed results........plus they see your systems and will use them or sell them on ..........another vipers den :eek:

N

Good idea, if you can cope with not getting paid for writing something!
Hi VdB,
By 'you' I assume you mean David? If so, I imagine the comment was tongue in cheek.
:LOL:

That said, if I was in his shoes, I'd take the view that it's all part 'n parcel of my research. Given that he's already said that he wants to continue trading, it's reasonable to assume that either he's interested to see if he can turn a profit, or he wants to do a follow-up article in the future. Or both of course. Either way, a journal here will expose him to the great and the good at T2W (of which there are many, lol!). All things being equal, that will have a positive impact on his equity curve and, additionally, may well provide valuable tips, ideas and insights for future articles. All things considered, he's very little to lose - other than face if he makes a complete pigs ear of it - and, potentially, a lot to gain.
Tim.

since David wrote a balanced piece (and better than most of the psuedo sponsored stuff I've ever seen in the press) I say we all help as much as possible...... as the Public are always looking for progression/experiences from someone they have seen start from scratch

N

since David wrote a balanced piece (and better than most of the psuedo sponsored stuff I've ever seen in the press) I say we all help as much as possible...... as the Public are always looking for progression/experiences from someone they have seen start from scratch

N

It would be very good if he managed to learn to trade "just" using free information garnered from online sources and this forum's members' advice. An article on that basis would certainly show up the learn-to-trade industry.