journal of trader formally known as wasp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for bugging with the questions but I still don't understand some little detail.

The second entry (from left to right) on your attached charts is on the candle which coincides with the MA cross. It means that when the candle period opens you don't have a cross yet. And then while the candle is being formed one second you have a cross - another you don't.

Otherwise, if you only need to see a candle over MA and then you enter on the open of the next candle why didn't you enter on the candles that I marked as A, B and C?

Attachments

• entries.gif
    entries.gif
    25.2 KB · Views: 266
cant believe I am saying this, wasp, but I think you are overdoing it with the indicators! :eek:

too many, and you will be mulling over which one to belive, especially when they contradict each other.

that oscillator reminds me of the Jurick-TPO! (the one that soul-trader and his Hilda used)

egro1egro said:
Sorry for bugging with the questions but I still don't understand some little detail.

The second entry (from left to right) on your attached charts is on the candle which coincides with the MA cross. It means that when the candle period opens you don't have a cross yet. And then while the candle is being formed one second you have a cross - another you don't.

Otherwise, if you only need to see a candle over MA and then you enter on the open of the next candle why didn't you enter on the candles that I marked as A, B and C?

Hey no problem.

I see your point and understand your query but this is the problem with looking back on a chart and not seeing how it moves live. The 'got a signal, no wait, I don't, ahhh, now I do, now, ah! its gone, phew its back' issue is a pain and that trade in question was like that.

See with all the signals, there is a moment of, is it, is it not, and thus a bit risque. With that trade, the HMA crossed withi the first few pips of the candle so yes, you had the is it, or is it problem, but wait too long and your too late. So not every trade has a 200% crossover before the signal is given but as soon as they do, then the trade is placed.

A, B and C didn't cross so no entry but this is issue is why I introduced the 'fake = SAR' into the strat. This being, if taken a trade, it reverses and the signal goes, then a new trade is opened in the original direction on a new candle.

This can mean 3 trades lose in a row at times, bu hey, nothings perfect!

Also, this is the precise issue I wanted to look at the HMA Osc. for. Weed out the fake signals and leave me with a 100% faultless strat :LOL:

Last edited:
trendie said:
cant believe I am saying this, wasp, but I think you are overdoing it with the indicators! :eek:

too many, and you will be mulling over which one to belive, especially when they contradict each other.

that oscillator reminds me of the Jurick-TPO! (the one that soul-trader and his Hilda used)

Hi Trendie,

Not altered my main strat in the slightest, just havin' a butchers (god its nice to say that without people looking at me strangely and pointing three doors down next to the hairdressers). It was something I had in my mind ages ago and didn't know how to program. Thanks to egro1egro, it has been and now I'm seeing what happens. Nothing wrong with new ideas but the oldies are the best and as the saying goes (for that one at least) if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it.

I've got more different strats at once than I can count plus the FX minors pattern thread, I'm just keeping my mind open for new ideas....

Got a yacht to buy damnit!

wasp said:
Got a yacht to buy damnit!
did you get my cheque mate for your strat? I sent it a couple of weeks ago now, got to help you get that boat haven't we, you seem to be struggling :rolleyes: ;)

Ok, thanks for the answer. I think I understand it as "the MA cross appears one or little after the open. If it then disappears - reverse".

One can shift MA 1 step in future (your MAs don't have "shift" parameter, but it can be attached to them just as easily). But that is equal to lagging behind one step with the entries. On the other hand you don't need a cross then - just a candle on the opposite side of MA (or candle's body). So, there is plenty to experiement with and I am sure you don't need to brake the existing system.

I was thinking that this osc might not be as suitable for you as it basically is based on the same MA that you already use. It is generally advised to use some additional info of different type for a filter. Like general trend direction on a bigger scale, or volatility (ATR), or volume processed in some way. Just a thought.

wasp said:
Ouch! for that, the price has doubled! :devilish:
In all seriousness though, what you've got is better than a lot of systems out there that are being sold, is it something that you could market?

Another residual income and all that.... there are a lot of muppets out there selling a load of expensive tat!

Priceman said:
In all seriousness though, what you've got is better than a lot of systems out there that are being sold, is it something that you could market?

Another residual income and all that.... there are a lot of muppets out there selling a load of expensive tat!

Without trying to sound to pretentious, I don't need to and can't be bothered. I would imagine trying to sell a strat would be a nightmare. Hell, I know how much stick sellers receive here and thats a headache my life can do without.

Also, as someone else pointed out, all the rules are right here if you study the journal enough, and yet, like the famous bloke whose name escapes me said, I could publish it for the world to see and still only a handful would follow it and profit from it, which, in essence, is exactly what I did.

bugger.

"bugger." .... I can spot an opportunity a mile away ...you need to sign up for Chumps Guide to Marketing otherwise you're going to be trading to live for the rest of your life ...as opposed to simply being able to sit and read ...really interesting BB posts .....perhaps you've already got the best deal ;(

Full circle

Well, this journal started off with moving averages, it then moved over to Hull moving averages. I made them crossover and used them as signals, slowly added a few lines, made them into indicators, set the whole thing up, then ditched the lot now I have discovered just what they were showing me, and how I could do it better.

So pretty much still trading the exact same plan these days, but drawing my own moving averages and support and resistance. More work and more hassle? Not really... More profitable and rewarding, definitely. The pleasure and gratification from knowing why and what the indicators meant is a great feeling 'understanding' price and my market of choice, and, I have truly found my own little holy grail...

Anyhow, a few screenshots for someone who asked.....

(and now they have seen them!)

Last edited:
Well, this journal started off with moving averages, it then moved over to Hull moving averages. I made them crossover and used them as signals, slowly added a few lines, made them into indicators, set the whole thing up, then ditched the lot now I have discovered just what they were showing me, and how I could do it better.

So pretty much still trading the exact same plan these days, but drawing my own moving averages and support and resistance. More work and more hassle? Not really... More profitable and rewarding, definitely. The pleasure and gratification from knowing why and what the indicators meant is a great feeling 'understanding' price and my market of choice, and, I have truly found my own little holy grail...

Anyhow, a few screenshots for someone who asked.....

you've got your risk down to just 10 pips??
thats seriously enviable. :clap:
is there an e-book on the horizon anytime soon? :cheesy:

you've got your risk down to just 10 pips??
thats seriously enviable. :clap:
is there an e-book on the horizon anytime soon? :cheesy:

pre spread and depends on the entry in comparison to S/R...

No e-books mate, there's plenty already, I can't think of anything that's been more widely written about than trendlines and support and resistance... :cheesy: :sneaky:

Status
Not open for further replies.