Is this already created in excel or something I could use?

waterscalming

I am new to posting in here so I apologize if I have not read through the hundreds if not thousands of other posts and comments.

I am looking to find out if anyone has created an excel sheet that has the following series of information ( I have found one showing the RSI, Bollinger bands and CCI) in excel, but I am looking to find out if it is possible to find the the patterns created and identified by thepatternsite.com , with the ability to use with additional indicators a conditional format to buy or sell based off additional conditions.

Basically what I'm looking for is something I can't get out of my head which I posted on linkedin:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/brea...estion-david-clemons?trk=pulse_spock-articles

I want to trade, but I don't feel comfortable trading, until I can backtest my theory of different ifs, ands, ors, and/or buts concept effectively.

Perhaps I am just being lazy and not wanting to put in the time to reverify what I know by learning how to code (how long does this really take to learn effectively?), and prove my strategy to be effective without major losses then able to produce a template that becomes an autobot for me to buy and sell based upon pre-conditioned requirements I have established?

Thank you for your patience, time and understanding.

I am currently trying to use tradingview.com to learn and backtest the method, but once I have become confident enough, I would want to eventually try to use it with real money on a mt4 trading platform, or consider using it with stocks whichever I feel is worth my time (more likely forex but capable of any market sequence events).

My main problem is I don't know how to code and feel overwhelmed and frustrated by no one around me able to walk me through the process or I get too many distractions and I fail to figure anything out to test.

I am looking at sites like thepatternsite.com, and books like "Getting started in candelstick charting" by Tina Logan and would love to try to connect the implications of doji hammer, and other highly profitable found candlestick patterns with ma 50, 100, 200 or well you get the idea, using other indicators like self-identified supply and demand consolidation breakout zones and other methods.

I am 100% confident my method is fool proof (until proven otherwise which then, I would then re-look to add or change other conditional formating requirements to buy or sell.)

I'm not promsing big bucks every trade, or a high frequency of trades as long as each trade is profitable which would be my overall goal with minimal unrealized loss potential in each transaction.

I am new to posting in here so I apologize if I have not read through the hundreds if not thousands of other posts and comments.

I am looking to find out if anyone has created an excel sheet that has the following series of information ( I have found one showing the RSI, Bollinger bands and CCI) in excel, but I am looking to find out if it is possible to find the the patterns created and identified by thepatternsite.com , with the ability to use with additional indicators a conditional format to buy or sell based off additional conditions.

Basically what I'm looking for is something I can't get out of my head which I posted on linkedin:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/brea...estion-david-clemons?trk=pulse_spock-articles

I want to trade, but I don't feel comfortable trading, until I can backtest my theory of different ifs, ands, ors, and/or buts concept effectively.

Perhaps I am just being lazy and not wanting to put in the time to reverify what I know by learning how to code (how long does this really take to learn effectively?), and prove my strategy to be effective without major losses then able to produce a template that becomes an autobot for me to buy and sell based upon pre-conditioned requirements I have established?

I am currently trying to use tradingview.com to learn and backtest the method, but once I have become confident enough, I would want to eventually try to use it with real money on a mt4 trading platform, or consider using it with stocks whichever I feel is worth my time (more likely forex but capable of any market sequence events).

My main problem is I don't know how to code and feel overwhelmed and frustrated by no one around me able to walk me through the process or I get too many distractions and I fail to figure anything out to test.

I am looking at sites like thepatternsite.com, and books like "Getting started in candelstick charting" by Tina Logan and would love to try to connect the implications of doji hammer, and other highly profitable found candlestick patterns with ma 50, 100, 200 or well you get the idea, using other indicators like self-identified supply and demand consolidation breakout zones and other methods.

I am 100% confident my method is fool proof (until proven otherwise which then, I would then re-look to add or change other conditional formating requirements to buy or sell.)

I'm not promsing big bucks every trade, or a high frequency of trades as long as each trade is profitable which would be my overall goal with minimal unrealized loss potential in each transaction.

you can pay people to code for you. there was a guy that had a thread about his development of an harmonic indicator that may also do some of the things you require. cant remember his name tho sorry.

Thank you for the reply, however I'm looking to create it myself, I just if anything would like to get some idea of what sites (applications) to use to create this...

Maybe it is just me, but I don't see the logic of paying someone to code for something the code is suppose to be profitable.

Either the coding is flawed, or the method is flawed and needs to go back to rout 1 again to retest and reformulate the right answer.

The patterns you mention in the linkedin article are all available within Tradestation:

Harami/Bearish Harami

http://help.tradestation.com/09_00/elword/function/c_bullhar_bearhar_function_.htm

Hammer/Hanging Man

http://help.tradestation.com/09_00/elword/function/c_hammer_hangingman_function_.htm

RSI strategies
https://www.tradestation.com/education/labs/analysis-concepts/the-rrsi-strategy

MA strategies
https://www.tradestation.com/education/labs/analysis-concepts/a-comparative-study-of-moving-averages

Tradestation has the ability to code in one or more of these indicators into an overall strategy including stop loss, entry and exit conditions etc. These strategies can be backtested on sim or live data.

However to do what you want to do will require getting to grips with the code within Tradestation to bring all the elements together.

... I am looking to find out if anyone has created an excel sheet that has the following series of information ( I have found one showing the RSI, Bollinger bands and CCI) in excel, but I am looking to find out if it is possible to find the the patterns created and identified by thepatternsite.com , with the ability to use with additional indicators a conditional format to buy or sell based off additional conditions.

I've done a lot of excel work like this.

You'll need to be good at excel and eventually excel vba...and have a programmer's mentality. Everyone doesn't have it.

You'll also have to properly define your candle sticks. All hammers aren't of the same proportion nor size, etc. Some proportions may work better than others. How will you know.

Which parameters will you use for the other indicators. Are you going to assume the standard parameters are best, or are you going to code additional programs to backtest them individually to see how they perform.

How will you recognize and deal with curve-fitting.

Maybe one parameter value works best when the indicator is tested by itself, but maybe a different value works best in conjunction with other indicators--that also use parameters.

Are you going to code an algorithm to brute force all of the parameter values for several indicators. How long is that going to take. Or will you learn about various search algorithms; or design your own to deal with all of the possible combinations. Or, again, will you just simply assume certain values are best.

... I am 100% confident my method is fool proof (until proven otherwise which then, I would then re-look to add or change other conditional formating requirements to buy or sell.)

You should be 100% confident that you don't know if it'll work, until proven to work.

I recommend learning excel and the excel solver. Build a sheet using EOD historical data and a SMA of a variable parameter setting. Build the sheet such that it will track a simulated balance that is altered by simulated trades generated by the SMA crossover.

Use solver to find the optimal SMA parameter (profit-wise). Carefully inspect the results. Note periods of losses, or lack of gains.

Expand the sheet by adding another SMA or another indicator.

If you can do this, you can probably morph it into whatever you're trying to accomplish.

As things get more complicated, if they get more complicated; you'll probably want to learn to code with excel VBA.

Tutorials are everywhere on the interwebs if you are truly interested in learning.

Etc.

Good luck and keep us posted. :)

I've done a lot of excel work like this.

You'll need to be good at excel and eventually excel vba...and have a programmer's mentality. Everyone doesn't have it.

You'll also have to properly define your candle sticks. All hammers aren't of the same proportion nor size, etc. Some proportions may work better than others. How will you know.

Which parameters will you use for the other indicators. Are you going to assume the standard parameters are best, or are you going to code additional programs to backtest them individually to see how they perform.

How will you recognize and deal with curve-fitting.

Maybe one parameter value works best when the indicator is tested by itself, but maybe a different value works best in conjunction with other indicators--that also use parameters.

Are you going to code an algorithm to brute force all of the parameter values for several indicators. How long is that going to take. Or will you learn about various search algorithms; or design your own to deal with all of the possible combinations. Or, again, will you just simply assume certain values are best.

You should be 100% confident that you don't know if it'll work, until proven to work.

I recommend learning excel and the excel solver. Build a sheet using EOD historical data and a SMA of a variable parameter setting. Build the sheet such that it will track a simulated balance that is altered by simulated trades generated by the SMA crossover.

Use solver to find the optimal SMA parameter (profit-wise). Carefully inspect the results. Note periods of losses, or lack of gains.

Expand the sheet by adding another SMA or another indicator.

If you can do this, you can probably morph it into whatever you're trying to accomplish.

As things get more complicated, if they get more complicated; you'll probably want to learn to code with excel VBA.

Tutorials are everywhere on the interwebs if you are truly interested in learning.

Etc.

Good luck and keep us posted. :)

I want to say thank you for your response.

I truly have no idea how long my idea will take to properly blossom into a continuous profitable concept. I just know I have one mentality (never accept defeat) perhaps that's a bad idea because then I will never quit my pursuit of desire for perfection given any "perfect storm" to hit.

All I can say is, a question:

How long would it take a "noob" or apprentice beginner level to get to the point to actually comprehend and build all of this?

I am that person who finds boring stuff interesting (don't ask me why I just do) then again, I also have that hard to stay focused when I have other things on my mind-set like I do right now as this is a pressing hobby/interest I just can't devote my full undivided attention to it automatically to research and spend anything other than the cost of the internet itself for the time being.

I can post my hypothetical theories all day long, but in the end I fear that they all may just be big words with no action until someone's able to prove the theory wrong by providing the "x" sum factor that could take years if not centuries to fully extinguish all possibilities even with the right factors I have in mind.

If anything perhaps my own downfall is that I am unwilling to accept that governmental authorities (especially) have never been able to create and (or) admit their ability to use exponential amount of resources to code, recode test, and retest all possibilities like a cartoon artist drawing all the known and unknown possibilities of what would happen if "fill in scenario" would ever take place.

I still think it is possible, yet undeniably difficult and potentially 'mind-numbingly' frustrating to keep coming up with no desired effective results.

I would be one who would test everything, try it, retest it, and confirm it matches all the criteria if computer speed runs into problems figure way to expedite or speed up the process and attempt to re-execute if continuous problems occur and repeat in like-manners.

Over the years I think this will be my pet-project (among all the other projects I got in my head, like how to tame a fire breathing dragon and baby dragons, 'err I mean feed my children and make my wife content')

Charlton,

Thank you for the posts of those sites, however I am not certain they really helped me out much as most of what they provided I already knew for the pattern information set-up itself.

But regarding the backtesting of their method it did grab me to potentially a better understanding, although I wish it would have provided a 50 ma, 100 ma, or even a 200 ma.

... All I can say is, a question:

How long would it take a "noob" or apprentice beginner level to get to the point to actually comprehend and build all of this? ...

You seem to have the required motivation. But without knowing anything about your cognitive abilities, I can't say how long it would take.

All you have to do is get started. If you can get started, and make progress--one step at a time; the 'how long' question will fade from your mind. You will be in bliss...for however long it takes to draw your final conclusions.

Again, get started on the spread sheet. You don't need to code or learn to code yet.

You have Date, Open, High, Low, Close, and Volume columns. Add one indicator column (SMA). You may need an extra column or more before the indicator column--a helper column; used to help calculate the indicator. You seem to suggest that you do understand this much.

Next, the signal column (with any helper columns). This column to indicate whether your system is signaling to buy, hold, or sell at the close.

Next, a position column. This will indicate whether your system is long, short, or cash.

Finally, a balance column. This will maintain a running balance based upon a starting balance, trading costs, and the signal along with the prior position.

This is how I recommend you start. If and when you can do this, you can then add indicators; conduct experiments; etc.

It sounds easier than it is--to the beginner. But it is not as hard as it will feel, once you get started.

See if you can make a SMA system profitable by changing the parameter manually: by changing the trading cost.

Then learn Excel Solver and let solver find the optimal SMA parameter for you. (Solver does not need programming skills.)

This will equip you with a basic skill set and experience needed for more complex systems. This same sheet might actually become your final system one day.

You must crawl before you can walk imo.

Good luck :)

You seem to have the required motivation. But without knowing anything about your cognitive abilities, I can't say how long it would take.

All you have to do is get started. If you can get started, and make progress--one step at a time; the 'how long' question will fade from your mind. You will be in bliss...for however long it takes to draw your final conclusions.

Again, get started on the spread sheet. You don't need to code or learn to code yet.

You have Date, Open, High, Low, Close, and Volume columns. Add one indicator column (SMA). You may need an extra column or more before the indicator column--a helper column; used to help calculate the indicator. You seem to suggest that you do understand this much.

Next, the signal column (with any helper columns). This column to indicate whether your system is signaling to buy, hold, or sell at the close.

Next, a position column. This will indicate whether your system is long, short, or cash.

Finally, a balance column. This will maintain a running balance based upon a starting balance, trading costs, and the signal along with the prior position.

This is how I recommend you start. If and when you can do this, you can then add indicators; conduct experiments; etc.

It sounds easier than it is--to the beginner. But it is not as hard as it will feel, once you get started.

See if you can make a SMA system profitable by changing the parameter manually: by changing the trading cost.

Then learn Excel Solver and let solver find the optimal SMA parameter for you. (Solver does not need programming skills.)

This will equip you with a basic skill set and experience needed for more complex systems. This same sheet might actually become your final system one day.

You must crawl before you can walk imo.

Good luck :)

Thank you for the feedback...

Now for me to just find time to create this requirement that you are advising.

ts indicator

hello, icode in mt4 language, excel & VBA.:smart:

hello, icode in mt4 language, excel & VBA.:smart:

Emma1, I suppose my best question to ask is...

What's the most effective manner to create and combine different candlestick formations sequence, moving average sequence, and rsi stochastics?

If anything that would be different manners of what I'm looking to combine all into one under certain circumstances for rules I would create.

As well, is it possible to find some site that I could download the hi/lo/close/open of certain currency market pairs like NZD/USD to try my own hand in excel? I have an idea, but its kinda messy without knowing how to get the data streaming to test my theories out.

Thanks in advance.