Is there any good statistical data on Technical Analysis Patterns?

watkins

3 0
Hi,

First post on this site. I've been trading stocks/options for a few years with mixed success. I've read up a lot on technical analysis, but have always been frustrated with a couple of aspects - first, unclear rules for identifying patterns, even simple things such as support and resistance. Second, a lack of statistical evidence supporting the use of those patterns. It seems to me that something like a 'descending triangle', for example, can be defined mathematically and subsequently backtested. From this, you could derive some statistics on the pattern's effectiveness. Can anyone provide a good resources for this kind of thing?

watkins

tar

Legendary member
10,443 1,313
Hi,

First post on this site. I've been trading stocks/options for a few years with mixed success. I've read up a lot on technical analysis, but have always been frustrated with a couple of aspects - first, unclear rules for identifying patterns, even simple things such as support and resistance. Second, a lack of statistical evidence supporting the use of those patterns. It seems to me that something like a 'descending triangle', for example, can be defined mathematically and subsequently backtested. From this, you could derive some statistics on the pattern's effectiveness. Can anyone provide a good resources for this kind of thing?

watkins

Very good question , no AFAIK there is no statistical evidence to support patterns profitability , just examples from historical charts "cherry picking" , IMHO i don't believe the competitiveness in the markets will allow such a profitable pattern to exist , but it is good to learn them and to add them to your trading arsenal .

the hare

2,949 1,283
Evidence based technical analysis by David Aronson is worth a read. It doesn't contain any data, but at least it might give a better understanding of the problems you'll encounter if you go down this route

Shakone

2,458 665
Brock et al (1992) seems to be referred to quite a lot in the literature.

Google: empirical evidence of technical analysis for example. There's a great deal of academic literature for and against.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock