Is it true, you can trade without indicators and candlesticks?

Spy - let's say candlestick formations work 30% of the time and RSI makes money 30% of the time. Surely the combination of the 2 would see you making money 10% of the time. Combining 2 things that work poorly on their own isn't going to give you something that works well.

I'll tell you what though - let's expand the offer I made earlier. If someone can give a combination of TA indicators, I will code it up and data mine across multiple markets to show how well they work (or not) in unison.

As for Nison - he's not a trader, he makes his money from his teaching businesses, books, articles, TV appearances etc. He's a bit of a celeb.

Why is his opinion on what would make money trading so highly valued?

Plucking 30% out of the air, adding it to another 30% plucked from the ether to give a figure of making money 10% of the time ????? This is laughable, but is symptomatic of the DTs difficulty with TA....

Plucking 30% out of the air, adding it to another 30% plucked from the ether to give a figure of making money 10% of the time ????? This is laughable, but is symptomatic of the DTs difficulty with TA....

Irs nearer to 1%. Maybe this is where the flaw is.:smart:

"look for signs to sell".....so why bother with support & resistance at all. Its perhaps really saying, I should start concentrating now as the price is reaching a certain level...you should be concentrating all the time ....support and resistance "works" 50% of the time...like any other point on the chart. Thats my experience anyway.

Well, maybe your experience is not doing it correctly....perhaps do some research into those who can use it correctly......Trader Dantes Making Money thread might be a good start....

Since I created this thread I have been too busy to post on here but I have to say wow!!! I didn't think my thread would get to 14 pages.

All I wanted to know about was if you could trade the tape only or the tape with candlesticks and indicators or not use them at all. I didn't think candlesticks and indicators would get so debated on.

Maybe I should of been more clear in my first post. What I believe is looking at 1 candlestick and making a move in the market is ridiculous. To base a trade on 1 type of candlestick movement is crazy. You need to look at a grouping before you make a move. That's what traders do. But others who look at a grouping, look at several indicators and compare and when they are all giving signals that the markets going to do something special. Then I don't think I would take these signals lightly as when you got several signals telling you a big move is about to happen you should believe it. It's certainly better to take a signal coming from several indications rather than relying on 1 signal which would be taking a move on complete chance.

Now on the other hand, I would like to learn the tape, it's the only thing that's not really discussed anywhere. Even going several years back to forum posts and even now there is just not much information available on this subject. No guides, no nothing which is strange. You have so many guides on practically all other types of trading signals, indicators, candlesticks etc

Now 14 pages into this thread and still hardly no one is actually talking about the tape. From what I have read the tape is the time and sales window.

What about the DOM and what's this super DOM is that just another fancy name? I see ninja trader calls the DOM the super DOM.

I always thought the DOM was the tape until I read the tape is the time and sales window.

The DOM is the ticker am I right?

I looked into the DOM in my trading platform, the DOM shows bid and ask spreads, contracts being traded, by x amount of trades. But what makes this different to the tape is that the tape basically shows identical information but instead these are what have actually been already traded. Is this correct?

Both the DOM and tape (times and sales window) are easy to look at and understand the basics to them, but then they both offer incredible advanced information to people that can read them, would that be right?

I have presented a lot of questions, I know

But this is one of those topics which opens up a realm of questions and answers which is of great importance in my opinion. I would hope anyone can please answer them.

Many thanks in advance

This textbook / pure TA phraseology seems to be an invention of yours.....by this do you mean the DT failed TA approach ?...

Nope - it is the approach that failed to pass muster.

Many thanks for allowing me an opportunity to prove my point....its hugely appreciated , really, but TBH I couldn't be arsed showing you how to day trade using a very simple effective candelstick / bar pattern....and I'm not talking about any complex pattern from Nisson....?

It is painfully obvious to everyone reading this comment that you can't actually do what you say. I would show you all how to trade in 5 minutes but I can't be bothered right now :whistling

The OP just referred to candlesticks, versus tape reading ie using a chart versus order flow......you then proclaimed to all that candlesticks / charting "dont work".

Correct

If you want a bar pattern perhaps take a look at Mr. Charts system as set out on here which is very simple but appears to be effective.....and is based simply on a bar continuation pattern....

And as a STUDENT of Mr Charts and someone that has been using what he teaches for the past year, I am going to break it to you gently that he falls my side on the subject of textbook TA and not yours. Feel free to contact him & discuss. I'll pass his email addy on if you want.

Mr Charts is the one that got me into tape reading in the first place ! Do you think he takes those setups blindly without any backup from L2/T&S. How do you think he manages to nail an exit right before the market turns over ? From the chart ? LOL !

I agree. 100% success probably could be found if you were aiming for 1 point on the rebound or the continuation as both are likely to happen.....how do we measure success? 50% of the time was my rather weak attempt to say nothing is certain:(

Let's keep this at least in the realm of reality. You are saying here that you could probably get 100% success rate. This is nonsense. If you could do 100% success rate with 1 point per trade, you would be a wealthy man indeed.

I'm not for one second knocking TA etc. as I know a number of traders who are very successful using TA although I have a sneaking suspicion that they may not be successful for the reasons they think they are but I am way too new at this to be making rash statements like that so take that with a pinch of salt!

The part highlighted above is an extremely astute statement. It applies not only to trading but to all endeavours in life. Many people write books on the secrets of their success but they always put it down to the conscious efforts they made and not any sub-conscious factors or even luck.

Can DT not mine the necessary data and backtest this methodology ?

Nope - because the very nature of what we are discussing is not mechanical. It is grasping the fuzziness of tape reading where every scenario is slightly different.

So there you have it.....all those consistently profitable traders using charts, perhaps with an indicator or two......they just dont work as DT has proclaimed (on any number of threads on T2W)....may as well get a few bunny rabbits, get them to run around a bit and base your entries and exits on the resulting bunny formation.....

These people you discuss are a myth. How many succesful traders to most board members know ? I know 3 succesful traders besides Mr Charts.

1 - Day trader running a hedge fund with $30M plus who trades off news/earnings, he uses his experience in how these stocks move, his ability to put himself in the shoes of a market maker and his research assistants. A typical trade would be an earnings stock with a gap up, he'll have a target price below the gap at which he'll enter the market - he sets those targets based on his experience and good memory. He is somewhat of an engima. He regularly has 30-40 trades on at a time.
2 - Day trader who trades 40 stocks and perhaps 1 or 2 news stocks. He'll review his 40 stocks decides which he'll trade for the day based on prior days action. He has years of experience and so can predict roughly where the stocks will top out. He'll use the charts for signs of topping out and he'll take a reversal trade, totally against the trend of the day. His experience is what sets him apart. He'll put on 1 or 2 trades a day and sometimes he'll not trade at all.
3 - Futures trader who uses T&S/DOM, and looks for reversals, mostly at prior highs/lows. The T&S/DOM tells him if this is going to punch through or reverse. Note that at least 50% of the time, these reversals are not at prior support/resistance, rather, these are places where TA traders will be suckered in to trades. It's normal for him to take 2 or 3 trades a day and he spends most of his time sitting on his hands.

None of these guys would qualify as TA traders in the traditional sense. I have never seen TA being used to predict where a stock should be brought if it goes down after a gap up. I have never seen TA accurately tell you where the market will reverse.

Now - roll on all these 'chart traders' - I have never met one. They only exist on internet forums.

because without those levels if you just execute a trade based on a buy\sell signal you basically flipping a coin. the reason for this is simple. where are the buyers and sellers? do you really think they are at any old place. do you think the entire market is seeing what your seeing?

They are visible on the DOM/T&S and NOT on the chart.

Price just seems to be attracted to and do alot of work around certain ref points, whether they be old highs/lows, range breakout points, pivots, etc etc. maybe price will bust straight through a level one time for one reason or another, then do alot of work on a retracement, or do the work initially before pushing through, or bounce straight off it - whatever. the point is that they are levels that attract activity and a decision of some sort by various market participants, therefore they are relevant and important.

But whether you spot these levels and the associated activity by looking at charts and candles, or whether you spot them by noticing the increased activity levels in the order flow and the level of competition at certain price points - i reckon 9 times out of ten, we'll all be looking at the same ref point because if your involved in the market you can't help but notice them.

You are correct that there are areas of interest. As in the article poste by barjon - the author had that much correct. Tape reading is exhausting and cannot be done all the time. The areas you discuss are well known by large traders and they use the fact that inexperienced traders get in at these places to fool them into taking a bad trade. You can see this play out day in/day out on the DOM/T&S.

There is a big difference between what the chart shows you and this lower level information. This is why textbook TA won't make you money in the short term. Experience and study of the behaviours of the market will. To think you can learn your TA and then just switch on any market at any time in any timeframe and trade it is ludicrous.

I haven't read this thread in detail and have just come across the previous two posts, but DT is correct, imho.
Level 2 T&S sometimes, not always and not in some stocks, can tell you what is LIKELY to happen BEFORE anything on a chart or conventional TA.
In my experience it gives a huge edge and is often much more significant and profitable than the TA almost everyone uses.
You can also use it as a scalper's entry into swing positions and will, as DT says, often get you out of trades just as they turn and those who use "pure" TA are left exiting later when the candle tells them what has ALREADY happened. They have a larger loss or a much smaller profit.
I'm not prepared to get into any argument about it, I use an unconventional sort of price action TA integrated with L2 T&S and am aware of background news and events and that integrated combination has worked very well for me for many years trading for my living.
Readers should think carefully about what DT has to say as, in my view, he is very capable and puts a great deal of valuable comment on this site.
Richard

There have been a few discussion on this board regarding what works and what does not. I am of the view that it whatever works is relative to the person using it and his own interpretation of what he sees.

I doubt very much that big successful traders have some secret method of displaying the price of a chart. They see more or less the same thing that we do, only difference between all of us is how we interpret what each one of us sees.

I agree that indicators may distract the trader from the real market action, but they still allow that individual to gain a perspective on the market, his own perspective. How he uses and develops that will be down to his own skills.

As for candlesticks they are just a representation of the same price a tape reader will look at, only in a different way. Whether you look at just the bid, ask or whatever, you may look at four numbers over a minute or one candlestick. The data contained in it is the same, its just your own interpretation of it that makes all the difference, whether you look at patterns, pinbars etc. It all comes from the same source.

The only one aspect that will make any difference is ones own psychology. Everything else is secondary.

Nope - it is the approach that failed to pass muster.

Bad workman, tools...

So you are adamant that use of charts in trading "don't work" ?

It is painfully obvious to everyone reading this comment that you can't actually do what you say. I would show you all how to trade in 5 minutes but I can't be bothered right now :whistling

No, as I said after wading though your constant anti-charting / TA rantings I have no inclination to show you how to daytrade, and its clear from your previous threads that its not something you can really do.....

In any event the "opportunity" you are affording me would just be a blind backtest, without any context, and wouldn't be an accurate method, as you well know....

And as a STUDENT of Mr Charts and someone that has been using what he teaches for the past year, I am going to break it to you gently that he falls my side on the subject of textbook TA and not yours. Feel free to contact him & discuss. I'll pass his email addy on if you want.

Mr Charts is the one that got me into tape reading in the first place ! Do you think he takes those setups blindly without any backup from L2/T&S. How do you think he manages to nail an exit right before the market turns over ? From the chart ? LOL !

Look lets cut the BS, Mr Charts clearly states on his thread that he uses T & S to give him an additional edge when it comes to the particular method set out, mainly on exits....which is fair enough, but he also has clearly stated that the method works effectively on its own without use of T & S.....

The set-ups are simple bar continuation patterns breaking to new lows, relying in the first instance of a clear trend in place as evidenced by the bars ie the chart; Mr Charts has advised that stops can be placed above high / low of previous bar....in lieu of T&S analysis

.....its all there on the thread for anyone to check....

What about a couple of narrow range bars / candlesticks, followed by a 2 or three wide range bars supported by a large increase in volume......does this not convey what emotions are in play ?

What about a pin bar at an important S/R level - does this not convey whether bulls / bears are dominant at that point ? ie buying or selling pressure....

I'm probably not qualified to answer your first question as I trade currencies so volume doesn't come into the equation for me. With regards to candlesticks, to me anyway (and I more than happy to be disagreed with) they are a wild goose chase for the simple reason that price doesn't wear a watch.

When I am looking at a potential trade I am not so interested in dominance of bulls or bears but potential exhaustion of bids or offers in the context of the order book - i.e. imbalance, and this in the overall context of how the market has been behaving. I have always used charts rather than the DOM but that's just me. If you look at the yellow box there is a story being played out here which draws to an almost inevitable conclusion - no amount of TA can replace what this chart should convey.

eurusd  - 100917d.gif

Again, in my very humble opinion.

P.S. To the OP. You ask about the tape. Surely a chart is just a pictorial representation of the tape? In your original post you seemed to be putting orderflow analytics / market micro structure on a predestal and I'm not sure it deserves to be. I think it is simply just another way of looking at, and trying to understand, what is going on - i.e. a mindset. I am an orderflow trader (apparently!!) but I don't look at the DOM.

Last edited:
Nope - because the very nature of what we are discussing is not mechanical. It is grasping the fuzziness of tape reading where every scenario is slightly different.

[/B]

but you'd still have rules and be looking for different things based on each scenario, no?
I cant see why something like that couldn't be automated.:?:

but you'd still have rules and be looking for different things based on each scenario, no?
I cant see why something like that couldn't be automated.:?:

The problem with this ,as I see it, is that no 2 moments in time in trading are ever the same. There are a constantly changing set of variables based on anything from market sentiment, to economics, time of day, inter-relationship between markets, the list is endless.

I'm probably not qualified to answer your first question as I trade currencies so volume doesn't come into the equation for me. With regards to candlesticks, to me anyway (and I more than happy to be disagreed with) they are a wild goose chase for the simple reason that price doesn't wear a watch.

When I am looking at a potential trade I am not so interested in dominance of bulls or bears but potential exhaustion of bids or offers in the context of the order book - i.e. imbalance, and this in the overall context of how the market has been behaving. I have always used charts rather than the DOM but that's just me. If you look at the yellow box there is a story being played out here which draws to an almost inevitable conclusion - no amount of TA can replace what this chart should convey.

View attachment 91732

Again, in my very humble opinion.

P.S. To the OP. You ask about the tape. Surely a chart is just a pictorial representation of the tape? In your original post you seemed to be putting orderflow analytics / market micro structure on a predestal and I'm not sure it deserves to be. I think it is simply just another way of looking at, and trying to understand, what is going on - i.e. a mindset. I am an orderflow trader (apparently!!) but I don't look at the DOM.

Reading and interpreting the chart you provided IS TA

Sheeesh...

I can fully appreciate how L2 & T&S can provide an improved edge for those who learn to interpret it - i guess simply because it is not derivative information. What is a complete bunch of **** however, is a blanket proposition ("textbook TA won't make you money in the short term") which is simply not true - i know it's not true, because as i've been reading this thread and contributing to it during the week, i've been making money trading set-ups involving some simple TA principles that I'm sure you'll find in any good TA textbook.

Now of course, I've had to apply money management and learn how to enter/exit and manage myself in a trade, and I've spent tonnes of time watching live markets trade etc etc - but it all started with some basic TA. period. If DT, or anyone else can't make money using TA in some form, or have found a better way to observe price action, interpret it, and trade off it, then happy days.

i know what it's like as a newby, trawling through this site, and while there are some contributions/contributors, which/who, are absolutely invaluable, there is some content which is actually potentially detrimental to newby traders trying to seriously build a viable trading strategy. Saying that TA is a complete waste of time, and that it is impossible to make money from it exemplifies this.

Seriously, a newby trader does well to start by understanding the basic concept of trend, using higher timeframes for confirmation, S&R, and interpreting price action using candles - it is a great place to begin to interpret markets and build a strategy. Sure, from there they may go on to looking directly at L2, T&S etc etc etc - as long as they learn to grow their account over time (pref with low volatility!) then do whatever works!

The key message for any complete newbie, is that they most certainly should not think that they can simply pull up a chart, fill it with alot of indicators, and blindly follow some sort of signal that indicator generates, thinking they have all the tools they need to make money in the markets.

The key message for any complete newbie, is that they most certainly should not think that they can simply pull up a chart, fill it with alot of indicators, and blindly follow some sort of signal that indicator generates, thinking they have all the tools they need to make money in the markets.

This should be on the front page of every trading website out there!!

I've said it before, but in threads like this, part of the confusion is peoples own individual beliefs in what they actually consider to BE TA! Bit like the old 'The_Expert' threads *shudder*
He talk all day about how TA doesn't work, and then posted charts with horizontal lines, highlighting narrow range bars etc. To alot of people that is plain TA and caused some of ths issues in his threads (both here and over at his second attempt at elitetrader!)

Im prepared to accept that there's better, easier, more reliable ways to make money thatn from looking at charts.

I keep a little list of traders and their general methodolgy (as much as they've been prepared to divuldge) on a word ducument that i've updated over the years.

A little like the short list DT wrote a few posts up.

There ARE a few chart/TA guys in there.
Im VERY strict as to who gets to go on my list. I need lots of evidence that they are genuine, through realtime calls, statemtents etc.

One of the guys only trades the ES and uses charts alongside the footprint bid/ask ladder.

In the case of Grey1, i've seen his trading screen as he trades and makes a killing!
He uses charts and TA to a DEGREE.
He makes lots of his money from SWING trading using FUNDAMENTALS.
The best thing is he has an automated engine that PRINTS money for him whilst he does other things! Its genuinely amazing.
I guess that's where we'd all like to be, although from my list, he is the only one who has that. very jealous, lol.