Best Thread Interactive Brokers

See my non-IB reply from very long time knowledgeable IB client.

I love them for what they are but you had them wrong. :cry:

Currency EUR to USD

I have a rather basic question. I have got a EUR currency account, alltough I want to buy some USD. I do want to buy the real USD, and I do not want to short sell or something. I will be going to the USA for a few months so I want to be able to transfer those USD back to my bank account, so I can spend it in the USA!

How can I do this? Also I want to occasionally start buying some USD (at the time when I think it is a right moment off course) because I want to start trading some defensive US stocks. I have tried to do what you can see in screenshot (sold 1000 euro on FOREX) but it does not seem te be right, or is it?

Thanks in advance for the help!

forex.gif

I have tried to do what you can see in screenshot (sold 1000 euro on FOREX) but it does not seem te be right, or is it?[/IMG]
As long as I understand their accounts you will have to have a real currency. To verify - open your Accounts (in TWS) and see tab "Market Value" - you will have to see some positive balance in USD if you have bought it in real.

But just go the the Chat option and ask them questions. I think it is not what the forum for. And I never heard anyone buying cash currency for traveling (or am I just lost in past?) :eek:

As long as I understand their accounts you will have to have a real currency. To verify - open your Accounts (in TWS) and see tab "Market Value" - you will have to see some positive balance in USD if you have bought it in real.

But just go the the Chat option and ask them questions. I think it is not what the forum for. And I never heard anyone buying cash currency for traveling (or am I just lost in past?) :eek:

I think you understand me wrong, for the traveling, I just want to buy those USD via IB, because the cost at my bank to do this is insane high (like 5% of value if you count all costs involved). For IB cost is like 2 USD ;)

I think you understand me wrong, for the traveling, I just want to buy those USD via IB, because the cost at my bank to do this is insane high (like 5% of value if you count all costs involved). For IB cost is like 2 USD ;)
Well.. Tell me when you will get it in the hand. I am really interested.

How much time would it take and how much banks/IB fees it will lose on its way. May be it is a good idea.

Try downloading and reinstalling the stand alone platform again. The c:\jts\jts.ini should be created on installation. There is no reason at all why it is not installing because of your make of pc.

Paul

I have Q1U. same kind as Eee. I tried TWS on it - it worked well. But I really doubt you can trade professionally using that sort of hardware.

P.S. And I have 2Gb RAM and 60Gb HDD.

Problem installing TWS on Asus Eee PC
Amazon.com: Asus Eee PC 4G (7" Screen, 800 MHz Intel Celeron Processor, 512 MB RAM, 4 GB Hard Drive, Linux Preloaded) Galaxy Black: Electronics

It works within firefox browser but local install doesn't seem to work: it says cannot find c:\jts\jts.ini.

*ini files are a Windows thing.

You need to download the Unix packaged TWS. Go to the IB website, download and follow the instructions. TWS works very well and is very reliable on Linux systems.

If you have problems let us know.

Using IB Data with 3rd party charting package

Hi

I have recently opened an account with IB and would like to use the market data in my own charting package - namely Updata TA.

What is the process of getting a feed to my own PC in a format (eg Metastock) that can be read by Updata?

Thanks

Hi

I have recently opened an account with IB and would like to use the market data in my own charting package - namely Updata TA.

What is the process of getting a feed to my own PC in a format (eg Metastock) that can be read by Updata?

Thanks

Dear Client

You may elect not to via market data via our Trader Workstation. If you wish to get market data from a third party i.e., to trade via thier platform, you need to address your question to them.

My issue with US futures was escalated to developers few day ago. It will be soon 4 weeks as I am trying to get the permission.

And the local IB rep havent even answered my PM. Way to go guys :clap: (y)

My issue with US futures was escalated to developers few day ago. It will be soon 4 weeks as I am trying to get the permission.

And the local IB rep havent even answered my PM. Way to go guys :clap: (y)

Maxima

We just resent you another private message with our UK contact details.

Dear Client

You may elect not to via market data via our Trader Workstation. If you wish to get market data from a third party i.e., to trade via thier platform, you need to address your question to them.

Hi

I understand I can use TWS, but what I also want to do is to extract the IB Market Data and use my own charting package to chart it.

Can I download the IB Market Data and use it with my own charting package?

Yes you can depending on what it is that you have as your own package. If it is written by you in something like Java or Visual Basic then as long as you have subscribed to the data you wish to use then you will be able to download it. If you are talking about other platforms then you need to contact the provider to see if the have developed the ability to receive IB data into their own platform. As an example, Quotetracker have the ability to chart IB data as does Excel. The emphasis is not on IB but the third party who wish to make use of IB data.

Paul

Interactive Brokers for Hong Kong Hang Seng

I am interested in finding a broker with an API that can allow me to trade common stock on the Hong Kong stock market. I see that Interactive Brokers seems to offer this. I have a few questions though:

1.) How fast are the trade executions performed? Are they real-time or delayed for some reason?

2.) Does IB provide a real time quote feed for the Hong Kong market that is comparable to Level II quotes in the U.S. market? That is, is very close to actual real-time? Or is it delayed like 20 minutes like Yahoo? If IB does provide a data feed, what are the additional initial and ongoing costs?

3.) If I want to develop an application to interact with the API, do I need to have TWS running in the background? Also, do I need to pay 2 prices - one fee for TWS - and another fee to use the API? If so, what are the intial and ongoing costs? I am an individual and plan to use these services from home on a cable internet connection (that is, non-professional - don't need any dedicated line, etc.).

With this in mind, can anyone give me any insight? Thanks.

inline

I am interested in finding a broker with an API that can allow me to trade common stock on the Hong Kong stock market. I see that Interactive Brokers seems to offer this. I have a few questions though:

1.) How fast are the trade executions performed? Are they real-time or delayed for some reason?
completely real time

2.) Does IB provide a real time quote feed for the Hong Kong market that is comparable to Level II quotes in the U.S. market? That is, is very close to actual real-time? Or is it delayed like 20 minutes like Yahoo? If IB does provide a data feed, what are the additional initial and ongoing costs?
market data is also real-time.

data costs
Market Data, Fundamental Analysis and News Subscriptions

3.) If I want to develop an application to interact with the API, do I need to have TWS running in the background? Also, do I need to pay 2 prices - one fee for TWS - and another fee to use the API? If so, what are the intial and ongoing costs? I am an individual and plan to use these services from home on a cable internet connection (that is, non-professional - don't need any dedicated line, etc.).
To use the API, TWS must be running to provide the socket connection for communications to the IB network. The API is free. There are no additional charges unless redundant market data is subscribed to running in parallel (the API comes in as a second "user" on the main account but each user has its own data configuration as mandated by the various exchanges.
We also offer an industrial strength FIX 4.2/4.4 compliant connection (called CTCI) available over both internet and dedicated line. There are charges for deployment as this solution requires conformance testing and configuration work but it is an enterprise level solution. Interested users of the CTCI should contact one the IB sales representatives.

With this in mind, can anyone give me any insight? Thanks.

Just to inform - my issue with US futures permission now has been resolved.

3 weeks IB first line of support was just trying to deter rather than help. Once I penetrated this wall things went OK and in 4 days the right guy was found and resolution was matter of 2 min actually.

Oke let's say I have on my account

10.000 Euro
some DOW JONES stocks
- 15.500 USD

I guess I am now paying intrest on those -15.500$ how do I convert the 10.000 euro into 15.500 dollars, since these are stocks I will be keeping at least 3 years, and I am not using the 10.000 euro for anything else (and not receiving intrest on everything below 7.000 euro if I get it right).

I want bucks on my account! And I guess what I did in the screenshot posted some days ago is not right.