Best Thread Interactive Brokers

SSL does not protect you (look up man-in-the-middle attacks on Google).

Err... that's why the keys come with a certificate from a signing authority to prove who you're talking with? You're more likely to breach SSL through problems with the randomness of the key, or timing attacks on the connection, than through MiTM (assuming both ends know what they're doing).

Anyone else having trouble placing ZB trades on the TWS simulator? Since yesterday I keep getting a message about order handling rules for physical delivery futures. Never had this trouble before.

Anyone else having trouble placing ZB trades on the TWS simulator? Since yesterday I keep getting a message about order handling rules for physical delivery futures. Never had this trouble before.
Today is the last day of the period of that future. IB warns you that they told you (read TC) that if you buy a future contract or shares you will not get it delivered. Hence IB will close your position just before market will be closed (I think it is today 12 o/c CST or something - look into contract description).

You have to speculate and not to invest. You cant buy 100 bushels of wheat as a future contracts and get this wheat delivered to bake cakes. :smart:

Today is the last day of the period of that future. IB warns you that they told you (read TC) that if you buy a future contract or shares you will not get it delivered. Hence IB will close your position just before market will be closed (I think it is today 12 o/c CST or something - look into contract description).

You have to speculate and not to invest. You cant buy 100 bushels of wheat as a future contracts and get this wheat delivered to bake cakes. :smart:
No maxima. He was on the TWS simulator. If IB hadn't stopped him he would be receiving 100 bushels of simulated wheat on imaginary trucks, which would have useful only if he owned a simulated oven and was on a diet.

No maxima. He was on the TWS simulator. If IB hadn't stopped him he would be receiving 100 bushels of simulated wheat on imaginary trucks, which would have useful only if he owned a simulated oven and was on a diet.
Or he could brew a truckload of imaginary beer and drink to death! :)

IB Risk Assessment

A few months ago I applied to IB to trade futures via a US account, sent scans of my passport, of my bank details, of my credit card details as well as sending USD 10,000 to their Citibank account.

I then waited, and waited, made many, many calls, sent several e-mails, until I lost the plot and quite simply told them that in my head, 6 weeks was sufficient time to either accept my application or reject it. I did this via e-mail, twice over a few weeks.

After my second e-mail, they rejected my application siting their risk assessment indicated I was unsuitable.

Has anyone else had this happen or know of it happening to other people, and to mitigate the risk, how on earth can I apply any kind of measures to lower the risk (and indeed to know who or what is at risk) if I am unaware of the reasons of my rejection.

Any help or advice from members as to my next move to enable me to trade within the futures markets will be well appreciated.

Oh, I have yet to have a refund from Citibank.

Have you ever had credit refused or any bad debts ? Believe it or not but if you have never used credit this would be also classed as a bad risk.

Paul

sounds weird. The only thoght springs in mind is that you are a niece/nephew of bin laden :cool:

I have recently opened my IB account and it was pretty quick and simple (no more than a week).
I have just fund my account (wire transfer) AFTER receiving the acceptance confirmation and sending from Portugal to Citibank US and credited to my IB account toke something like 2 working days.
Every open question via message board was quickly and kindly answered on the same day.

So, at the moment I'm very pleased with IB.

Funds Present but cant trade ... HELP

I am paper trading, my real new account funded and open with the cash showing as available to trade or withdraw for real trades. My paper trading account (simulated account) has $10000 or after exchage, £5048 in, this is an amount I requested a change to. (This is a small portfolio test.) The sum is shown in my paper account "available for trading", and in my balances ... but not in the market value GBP line yet it is in the market value as a total ( inGBP ) along with 10000 USD above.

So why does it say I have insufficient funds, even though I was only buying 100 shares worth £250?

What am I doing wrong, do I have to transfer the fictitious money to another fictitious account or something?

yours confused

Sid

A few months ago I applied to IB to trade futures via a US account, sent scans of my passport, of my bank details, of my credit card details as well as sending USD 10,000 to their Citibank account.

I then waited, and waited, made many, many calls, sent several e-mails, until I lost the plot and quite simply told them that in my head, 6 weeks was sufficient time to either accept my application or reject it. I did this via e-mail, twice over a few weeks.

After my second e-mail, they rejected my application siting their risk assessment indicated I was unsuitable.

Applied late Thursday, only hiccup was that they wanted a bank statement to prove my address and I bank online. In the end printed, scanned and e-mailed them a copy of my bank statement, and got the account approved e-mail this morning. :clap:

My advice would be to get a copy of your credit report. They try to hide it, but all of them have to produce a cheap report (assuming you're UK based here?). For example:

https://www.econsumer.equifax.co.uk/consumer/uk/gb_consumerletter.ehtml

£2 for a credit report. That might provide some insight into what happened.

Who tries to hide what exactly and for what reason ?

Paul

Sorry, I meant that they try to hide that you can get the report cheaply. Most want you to sign up for a £10-15/month service, but if you look carefully they do provide one-off reports cheaply.

Applied late Thursday, only hiccup was that they wanted a bank statement to prove my address and I bank online. In the end printed, scanned and e-mailed them a copy of my bank statement, and got the account approved e-mail this morning. :clap:

My advice would be to get a copy of your credit report. They try to hide it, but all of them have to produce a cheap report (assuming you're UK based here?). For example:

https://www.econsumer.equifax.co.uk/consumer/uk/gb_consumerletter.ehtml

£2 for a credit report. That might provide some insight into what happened.

No, although I appreciate any insight.
I will try someone else who will have to accept me as a well travelled sub sea engineer who is rarely in one country for more than a couple of months, pays cash for everything I own, never gets a utility bill ( I pay up-front), has security clearance from several countries (to go offshore) and who is very kind to his mother.

minimum requirements

[Thank you for your interest. To confirm,

1. Minimum to open an account $2,000 USD or similar in any of the other six currencies we support.
2. To trade US shares (bundled = brokerage, exchange, clearing and regulatory fees) .005/share commission or min. of $1; max of .2% of principal.
3. Minimum brokerage fee $10 per month.
4. Market data fees, vary per exchange. For example to view US prices, $10 per month. If you execute over $30 of brokerage per month IB will waive the $10 market data fee.
5. With your initial deposit you can trade some products. We ask approx., the same margins that the exchanges ask per product.

Actually IB is asking you to have at least $50,000 in liquid net worth, and the same as a yearly net income. So you need a little more than only $2,000 to open an account.

That said; anybody knows a workaround?

Actually IB is asking you to have at least $50,000 in liquid net worth, and the same as a yearly net income. So you need a little more than only $2,000 to open an account.

That said; anybody knows a workaround?

Minimum account is $10,000 now, anyway (having opened an account this week).