Best Thread Interactive Brokers

whats the most popular trading software with IB these days?
I used to use Sierra Charts 2 years ago and thinking of signing up again.

I use SC, looked at multicharts as well for 3/4 times the price and wasn'[t impressed-think that might be for algorithm types to make it worthwhile. SC does the job if you're looking for a simple chart based strategy IMO. Be warned that the data feed for daily charts can be frustrating, apparently IB has rubbish platfrom for data, or so SC says-who knows...
SC is cheapest out there, can't see much wrong with it to be honest but depends what kind of trading you;re doing

Historical data

According to IB's website:

"Historical data requests can go back one full calendar year."

Does this mean:

1. IB's servers only have data going back one calendar year. So oldest data they offer today is Nov 27th 2011.
or
2. Each request (subject to pacing) can be for a maximum of one calendar year. So today I can request daily data for the whole of 2011.

If the latter, how far back does IB's data go for each exchange\asset type? Many thanks.

Re: Historical data

According to IB's website:

"Historical data requests can go back one full calendar year."

Does this mean:

1. IB's servers only have data going back one calendar year. So oldest data they offer today is Nov 27th 2011.
or
2. Each request (subject to pacing) can be for a maximum of one calendar year. So today I can request daily data for the whole of 2011.

If the latter, how far back does IB's data go for each exchange\asset type? Many thanks.

Can't help you I'm afraid. It's not the fact that there is one years data, it's the fact that it doesn't update sometimes on SC. Just switching to daily eurusd chart-yeah goes back a year, but I have a month gap recently-no amount of refreshing data will fill it. SC blames IB for having rubbish platform blahblah, maybe they shouldn't list IB as a client then.
So it's not perfect, but to be honest have demo'd a bunch and am amazed that hardly any of them seem to fulfil basic functions you take for granted with MT4 which is easy to use/navigate.
Don't take me for a fan of MT4 though! Great for charting but that's it-use it to actually enter trades at your peril...

Hi, I'd like to know:
What is the Trigger Method faster in IB, between: Default, Last, Bid/Ask etc ...
Thanks in advance and sorry for my English.

Hi, I'd like to know:
What is the Trigger Method faster in IB, between: Default, Last, Bid/Ask etc ...
Thanks in advance and sorry for my English.

I'm not sure what you mean LifeMirage, but if you've only ever used MT4 then the entry is extremely fast with IB/Sierra, either entering manually or with limit orders that get hit by price. You can use Ninjatrader as a charting package+many others. Hope that helps.

Hi,
Does IB have the capability to save 'mark-ups' such as trendlines, comments, etc. per ticker/chart? Right now, I have to redraw trendlines, etc. as I toggle through ticker symbols in the watchlist. Maybe there's a config setting that I haven't been able to find?
Zing

Hello all,

Slippage of some 30 points on the EUR/USD AT 6.20 GMT this, triggered on a market stop.

I have been with IB for 2 years and the slippage is usually pretty good. It’s no big deal to me if this is a one-off which happens from time to time but 30 pips does seem a little excessive on something like the EUR/USD

Anyone else have any experiences – I read somewhere that IB shuts down for maintenance and wondered if this might be a cause

Either way I accept partial blame here, I could have saved this from happening if I had paid for a better stop location with an extra 10 pips

Question: when i bring up an ES globex chart for some reason it doesn't bring up the evening session graph, just the previous days. the last trade on the right hand axis is current, but that is all. i have therealtime data feed. thanks

All,

I have an account with IB and wondered if anyone is using the app for the ipad? I trade 3 major indicies along with 2 currency pairs, is it possible to get the 5 market tickets openand visible to one click entry and exit with all markets available for immediate execution on the ipad?

Question: when i bring up an ES globex chart for some reason it doesn't bring up the evening session graph, just the previous days. the last trade on the right hand axis is current, but that is all. i have therealtime data feed. thanks

Did you try the various Chart Time Options via Chart Parameters?
~ Keep chart up-to-date
~ Show data outside of regular trading hours
~ Show data in user time zone

Is there an IB order type that would efficiently execute this year's take-profit-and-replace orders?

Since Cap Gains taxes are going up, our CPA's want us to take profits. We want to keep most of them, so we're considering round trips; sell profitable positions and immediately replace them ... with the least risk and expense.

Interactive Brokers Question

What is the Difference between DMA brokers and Direct Access Brokers? Also can you give me some examples of a DMA broker ? Thanks in advance.

I am trying to experiment with Market On Open orders in my IB paper trading account using TWS. I am getting a message "Warning: At the open order could not be executed" on symbols like SPY. SPY trades on the NYSE. Other symbols like AAPL trade on the NASDAQ and the order works fine. I use SMART routing.
I thought that both the NYSE and NASDAQ supported MOO orders. How can I figure out what symbols support MOO orders?
I watch a universe of about 3000 stocks.
Thanks,
David

Any help with my query would be much appreciated, I plan to open an IB account with rather small capital as a "trial" to see if their real platform is reliable as their demo appears to be. I plan to deposit roughly £1200 and make short term intrday trades worth £500 (so positions that are at least 200 times that due to their leverage). Does anyone see the margin being a problem? For instance if I pool half of my rather small deposit into a short position on Eur\Usd and close it within a few hours that would leave me at an unrealised P\L of lets say... - £300 ( an hour or so before I close the trade) but I Knew the position would realize itself at lets say...£200 profit (at least). Would this set of any alarms at IB, for instance would they stop out a position likes this?

IB WILL close you out but not all at once. They close you out in increments to satisfy margin (and charge you commission on each trade).

Their real-time system is MORE responsive than the Demo system.

Hi,

Does IB can save 'mark-ups' such as trendlines, comments, etc. per ticker/chart? Right now, I have to redraw trendlines, etc. as I toggle through ticker symbols in the watchlist. Maybe there's a config setting that I haven't been able to find?

thanks a lot

Hi,

This is exactly the same as my previous post #1866????

Anyway, I have found that you can maintain chart mark-up's by keeping a chart open per 'key' instrument that you are tracking. So I have multiple charts on one screen with separate instruments per chart. I enter comments on these small charts which are not lost unless I bring up a different instrument on that small chart. If I'm analyzing one of those instruments, I bring it up in a different set of charts. Trendlines made in those charts are transferred to all charts on that instrument (i.e. the small chart).

All I need now is more screen space :eek:

Zing

Hi,

Does IB can save 'mark-ups' such as trendlines, comments, etc. per ticker/chart? Right now, I have to redraw trendlines, etc. as I toggle through ticker symbols in the watchlist. Maybe there's a config setting that I haven't been able to find?

thanks a lot

Hi,
On a separate topic, I have recently noticed that when IB is running for a long time (six hours plus) it seems to really 'slow' down in updates and response to the user. Has anyone else had that problem? It was so bad in one case that as I clicked on cancel order, it transmitted and filled the order! I was shocked and closed out at a lost.
Zing