Best Thread Interactive Brokers

Re: Interactive Brokers & slow charting

Hi,
Is anyone aware of slow charting issues with IB?

When I click on a stock in my Watchlist, it can take anywhere from 15-20 seconds to update about 5 charts, news and market depth.

Is this normal? Any ideas on what I can do to speed this up?

Thanks,

P.S. IB said that updates should be real time. Updating two charts occurs almost real time.

YES, damned slow as molasses!!

Hi,

When I click on a stock in my Watchlist, it can take anywhere from 15-20 seconds to update about 5 charts, news and market depth.

Thanks,

P.S. IB said that updates should be real time. Updating two charts occurs almost real time.

Hi Zing,

This is an ongoing IB problem.
2 solutions (which helped my IB speed).

1. Reduced the requests I was making (so went down to 1 chart)

2. Upgraded my pc to 4MB Ram, quad core something or other MEGA pc.

I'm down to 3 -5 seconds.

The first time you load a chart it will need to collect historical data, so is not instantaneous, but I have never had delays that long. The shorter the timeframe the longer the delay, what timeframe are you looking at?
Roger

Hi,

Thanks,

I use MultiCharts to plot IB data, chart loading is usually pretty slow. Not sure what's the issue, although I suspect it's the API. My computer is 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, i7.. So that shouldn't be the issue. As far as IB as broker - A+ in my experience with futures, equities, and forex. Great execution, low spreads, low slippage so far

The first time you load a chart it will need to collect historical data, so is not instantaneous, but I have never had delays that long. The shorter the timeframe the longer the delay, what timeframe are you looking at?
Roger

Hi,
I'm looking at daily, 30 min, 3, and 1 minute time frames. Plus I'm on an i7 processor with 8GB ram so I don't expect the PC is an issue.
Regards,

I have just experienced a problem with IB on the size of a trade. I tried to trade 55 shares on a sell stop that never filled, with the price sailing past my price.
The help desk told me its because of the odd lot size, and that typical trades are in 100 lots.
Has anyone a view on this?

intriguing, no not experienced that. what share/what time? surely odd lot sizes are inconsequential?

I have just experienced a problem with IB on the size of a trade. I tried to trade 55 shares on a sell stop that never filled, with the price sailing past my price.
The help desk told me its because of the odd lot size, and that typical trades are in 100 lots.
Has anyone a view on this?

IB are right. Typical sizes arent smaller than 100 shares.
They even show up as 1 on t&s.

Cant you just hit market with 55 shares?

Your sell stop is only triggered after the price is traded right? So you dont always get a fil on a sell stop.

intriguing, no not experienced that. what share/what time? surely odd lot sizes are inconsequential?

The share was APEI and I wanted a $2000 lot.It was during the first 2 hours of trading.

Also there wss low volume at the time, I dont normally trade a share with under 150k average V but this one was low yesterday.

IB are right. Typical sizes arent smaller than 100 shares.
They even show up as 1 on t&s.

Cant you just hit market with 55 shares?

Your sell stop is only triggered after the price is traded right? So you dont always get a fil on a sell stop.

I placed the order the day before and I did not want to miss it as I am always in and out the house. But you are right, I do prefer trading with `market` rather then leaving an order on.

It was made worse yesterday by low volume, as in my previous post I would not normally trade a low volume share.

IBs help desk guy Earnest told me the same as you, shares in 100s, but when I asked him about 100 plus shares, such as 160,175 etc he said I would also have problems with them.
That`s strange as the problem has never came up before.

I placed the order the day before and I did not want to miss it as I am always in and out the house. But you are right, I do prefer trading with `market` rather then leaving an order on.

It was made worse yesterday by low volume, as in my previous post I would not normally trade a low volume share.

IBs help desk guy Earnest told me the same as you, shares in 100s, but when I asked him about 100 plus shares, such as 160,175 etc he said I would also have problems with them.
That`s strange as the problem has never came up before.

I guess the question to IB is 'why let me execute 55 shares in the first place" ?
Have you got out of the problem now?

I guess the question to IB is 'why let me execute 55 shares in the first place" ?
Have you got out of the problem now?

That`s a good question ,never asked, will remember for a next time.
After an hour the stock had descended 50c past my entry position without execution so I cancelled the order. It done me a favour in the end as it quickly rebounded.

Raises the question of stop sells or buys to close a position though.Not so confident in them anymore. Will keep a closer eye on the slippages.

From what I know, all limit orders carry the risk of not being filled (i.e. buy limit, sell limit, buy stop limit, sell stop limit). You are asking for a specific price. It the price jumps past your limit then there is no one willing to meet your price so the order goes unfilled at that point in time. If the price comes back to your limit, it will get filled. That's applicable for odd lot and full lots. Higher volume reduces the chances of not getting a limit order filled. I've used Market If Touched orders to ensure a fill but they carry risks of their own - slippage.

Hi Zing,

This is an ongoing IB problem.
2 solutions (which helped my IB speed).
1. Reduced the requests I was making (so went down to 1 chart)
2. Upgraded my pc to 4MB Ram, quad core something or other MEGA pc.
I'm down to 3 -5 seconds.
is that considered 'above average'?
haven't you experienced much faster loading times?

whats the most popular trading software with IB these days?
I used to use Sierra Charts 2 years ago and thinking of signing up again.

Hi,

I'm wondering what rates IB charges for the FX "loan" they provide when I trade securities not denominated in my base currency.

Thanks.

IB - Slow Data Pull

I use NinjaTrader and Interactive Brokers.

Has anyone else experiencing slow data pull from IB? Any instrument takes on average 20 seconds to load; even after it's been cached.

I do not have any indicators loaded, and have only a 1 minute/2 day chart and a 5 minute/5day chart open.

I also only have 1 workspace loaded.

As to my Internet connection speed; it is 22Mbps

I have had a NT tech log unto my system, said all looked good.

Thanks.

Re: IB - Slow Data Pull

I use NinjaTrader and Interactive Brokers.

Has anyone else experiencing slow data pull from IB? Any instrument takes on average 20 seconds to load; even after it's been cached.

I do not have any indicators loaded, and have only a 1 minute/2 day chart and a 5 minute/5day chart open.

I also only have 1 workspace loaded.

As to my Internet connection speed; it is 22Mbps

I have had a NT tech log unto my system, said all looked good.

Thanks.

Hi,
Yes, see my post #1840. I found a few things while researching this issue. It seems to be well known that IB is slow at charting. I think IB charting is JAVA based (which is part of the problem) so you need to keep that up to date. You can check IB's Platform FAQ's for TWS. Maybe connectivity troubleshooting will help you out. Also, you need lot's of RAM on your computer. I have 8GB.

For me, one chart is one sec, two charts take under 5 sec to update. 5 charts can take up 10-20 secs.

As a work around to this I use the groups feature in IB. One group is linked to a single chart, another is linked to 3 charts, and another is linked to 5 charts.

Good luck on improving your charting speed.

Is there a known issue with IB losing your workspace settings? I lost my entire IB workspace. I spent half and hour or so with Tech Support to try and retrieve the workspace to no avail. I had to re-start from scratch. No fun. I will be saving the workspace file externally from now on.